Kate's Last Half Hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NQUEST:
    I ran across to Kearley and Long's warehouse. The door was ajar, and I pushed it open, and called on the watchman Morris, who was inside. He came out. I remained with the body until the arrival of Police-constable Holland. No one else was there before that but myself. Holland was followed by Dr. Sequeira. Inspector Collard arrived about two o'clock, and also Dr. Brown, surgeon to the police force.
    [Coroner] When you first saw the body did you hear any footsteps as if anybody were running away? - No. The door of the warehouse to which I went was ajar, because the watchman was working about. It was no unusual thing for the door to be ajar at that hour of the morning.

KEARLEY AND LONGS WAREHOUSE WASN'T AN EMPTY WAREHOUSE! It had a watchman who habitually left the door to Mitre Square ajar while he worked the entire warehouse. Only someone who often went to the orange market would know this habit.

Comment

• I am trying to find more info about this warehouse, what they stored there etc. can anyone help?

Comment

• Grocery wholesaler. Predominately tea. HQ of the firm.

Also had a warehouse opposite where Nichols was murdered.

COSGB: Kearley & Tonge

International Tea Co. Stores - Wikipedia

Last edited by DJA; 08-03-2019, 11:06 PM.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• THANKS DJA!

I can see that some people are wrong in calling it Kearney and Long by this photo:

It appears to be KearLey and Tonge?
          Last edited by Leanne; 08-03-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Correct.
            Last edited by DJA; 08-03-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• KEARLEY AND TONGE:

Comment

• Comment

• Depots/HQ

Photos of the three entrances to Mitre Square.

First also shows Morris's door that was actually ajar

Comment

• I JUST FOUND THIS POST ON ANOTHER SITE:

September 29th, 2011, 07:12 PM #1
                    Phillip Walton

Researcher

Passageways under Mitre Square.

I worked for Kearley & Tonge in Mitre Square for about 15 months in 1964/65. The buildings on the north and east sides of the square were standing in 1888. The block on the south side of the square was post 1888. The west side where the main entrance was the building to the left of the entrance was a post 1888 building built in the style of and attached the northern range. On the right of the entrance was a bomb site. All these buildings had basements that were or had been interconnected, by that time K&T occupied the entire square. There was also a passageway that started from beneath the front door of the northern range running beneath the square, this had been sealed off and converted to a gents toilet. I was told that at one time this had led to the buildings on the opposite side of the square. When I could I explored these passageways and I always wondered if JtR had been there before me.

Comment

• There are demolition 'photos showing the underground chambers beneath Mitre Square's Mitre Street buildings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                        Since we are supposed to focus on that last half hour, I wonder how long she was in the company of sailor man. To me the gesture of the hand on the chest is in keeping with someone who just arrived and was gesturing that they were pleased to find the person waiting for them. They likely knew each other. Does that suggest that Kate was undone by someone she knew, even if indirectly only. Sent her in to the square to meet her killer maybe...last minute plea for her to drop this scheme..
                        I think it's very likely "sailor man" was someone she knew and expected to be in the area, and even more likely that she didn't suspect him, but felt comfortable/safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                          Grocery wholesaler. Predominately tea. HQ of the firm.

Also had a warehouse opposite where Nichols was murdered.

COSGB: Kearley & Tonge

International Tea Co. Stores - Wikipedia
                          It seems like it was a perfect place to hide and store a clean jacket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post

I'm not saying he planned it all that way! He was just observant.

All he had to be aware of is that once the cop looked around St. James Place, he came back into Mitre Square # minutes later.
                            I always wonder whether he scoped out the murder sites before hand i.e. watching where the girls took their clients and where the police were.
                            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

• Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

I always wonder whether he scoped out the murder sites before hand i.e. watching where the girls took their clients and where the police were.
                              He knew the streets like the back of his hand because he'd lived there all of his life.
                              He knew where he could hide to avoid authorieties,
                              He knew who left doors open etc. and when people went out of them to smoke etc.
                              he new the beats and times of the cops, and also knew that they frequently changed their routes.
                              BECAUSE HE WAS A LOCAL AND WORKED THE STREETS

Comment

Working...
                              X