No announcement yet.

When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving it unresolved; I'm all for that. It has been successfully done with other unsolved cases.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Hi all,

If a new Ripper movie was made, I hope it's all British actors since Americans can rarely get the accent right. Even when British do an American accent, they may be pronouncing the words exactly right but the rhythm seems to be off somehow which is distracting.

On UFO Files last night, it was mostly about Rendlesham. It was a little better than the stuff they've done previously.

You know the reverse is also true. The British often come out sounding flat and accentless when they try to sound like an American. I guess that is the way we sound to them. I did not like Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara. In fact all of those accents for GWTW were off. I don't care how much coaching they had. I do think, though, that Angelina Jolie sounds pretty good as a Brit, but I would like to hear what the real Brits think of her accent. Why is that we don't sound like each other? The Australians sound pretty British.

I only saw the start of that. I hope they are going to rerun some of that stuff. So you think it was pretty good? I want to see what they decided about it.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Celesta,

At least comparatively, the show was good.

Yes, as for English speaking countries, the Welsh, Australians and New Zealanders sound British to us, although with some slight differences, while the Scottish, Irish, Canadians and Jamaicans do not.

Meryl Streep may be the best at accents.

I wondered why Rhett Butler didn't really have a southern accent in GWTW.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          Hi Celesta,

At least comparatively, the show was good.

Yes, as for English speaking countries, the Welsh, Australians and New Zealanders sound British to us, although with some slight differences, while the Scottish, Irish, Canadians and Jamaicans do not.

Meryl Streep may be the best at accents.

I wondered why Rhett Butler didn't really have a southern accent in GWTW.

I read that Clark Gable refused to do an accent. I believe he didn't care for the South.
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi all,

My favorite GWTH accent was Harvey Korman on THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW as Clark Gable as "Rhett Butler". And Ms Burnett certainly showed her
            great taste in clothes in that same skit.

As for the accents of actors (British or otherwise) it depends on how good they are in their training. Peter Ustinov and Peter Sellers were masters at good mimicry, as is Theodore Bikel (who had a degree in language studies - remember his southern sheriff in THE DEFIANT ONES?).

On the other hand Lawrence Olivier always immitated Albert Bassermann when he did either German or German Jewish characters. In fact, in his late performance (in a supporting role) in the Richard Burton series WAGNER, he even used Bassermann's shoulder shrugs when playing a Bavarian State Minister. His Russian accent in THE DEMI-PARADISE was actually quite good.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Ripper movies

Mike, you mean someone is actually going to produce a movie that has some bearing on what happened in 1888 and not a Masonic establishment royal baby killing mother ending?

If true, I look forward to it. With English actors hopefully.

Cheers

Comment

I will contact Justin and get him to come on this thread and discuss his plans, he is really switched on and has so much knowledge on the case.

You do have to wonder why that is the most popular theory to make a movie around don't you.
                I want to make a ripper movie with sickert as the killer,
                "A Fistula Full of Dollars"

I am kidding of course.

Anyway here is an article from the Sun, re UFO Files in the UK.
                Even though they have been released, there have been no mass panics, religion is still standing and the Government has not been toppled!
                Attached Files
                Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  Hi Guys, There is a new Ripper Movie on the way with the working title of

The Autumn of Terror

The gent responsible is a member of both these boards and the JTR Forums and has posted updates on both sites.

I recently had the pleasure of chatting with him on the Ripper Podcast, both threads are over on the Ripper Audio and Visual threads.

Mike

Hi Mike.

I'd have thought that that title is copyright, reference Tom Cullen.

But what do I know?

Cheers,

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Regarding accents.

When I lived in the USA, it wasn't the southern states accents that I found incomprehensible, but rather the New England accent. Bit like JFK but much faster in delivery - kind of staccato and clipped. I actually love to hear southerners speak - probably because of my interest in the Blues.

Where I live in the English Midlands, I can travel ten miles to the west, towards Wolverhampton, and need the services of an interpreter. Not so much an accent, more a dialect.

I never understood why Hollywood feels it necessary to cast Yanks as Brits, and vice versa. Like Elijah Wood in Lord Of The Rings - he was pretty good, but not authentic. I'm sure an English actor could have been found for the part. And Johnny Depp as Abberline - eh, what? Do me a favour, guv!

Cheers,

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Hi All,

That Carole Burnett skit with the curtain rod is a classic! We saw it the other night on a PBS documentary and it seemed funnier to me than the first time I saw it. Sometimes just looking at her and some of the people on her show made me laugh.

A Fistula Full of Dollars! Love it! I heard you were chasing ghosts through candy factories like Jason and Grant were chasing them through that air craft carrier! A true ghost-hunter.

As for the new Ripper movie, it is about time we had one that told it straight. I thought Depp was not too bad as Abberline, but it's not the way it panned out. I was disappointed that it was a Royals-Mason thing.

We need some UFO stuff---wish we could get back the old personal experience posts.

Everyone, have a great weekend.

Comment

• Hi all,

I didn't mind Depp too much in Hell but he didn't sound British to me so I assume he sounded even less so to Brits. He was also too young.

The Rendlesham show had some stuff I hadn't heard about before (the flying saucer was actually a flying slice of pie). What's next, a flying fork?

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Hi Mike.

But what do I know?

Cheers,

Graham

Graham,

unless the film was to be based on his book the copyright issues would come into play. For the time being the title is just a thing to work with, and quite possibly will remain the title. Only time can tell if the title will change or not

To everyone else,

The film will Not center around any favored suspects or theories regarding any form of masonic/royal conspiracies,etc.

I feel that the ripper story itself can focus on the main facts and be interesting without divulging into the straying side stories of the suspects. Feel free to ask me as much questions as you want to at the offiical thread link below.

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

And as Mike Covell said you can also view it here at jtrforums.com and there is also a bit of the screenplay available to read at your convience.

And the temporary site (Blog) for the upcoming events with the film can be viewed here:

The Official Website for the upcoming film on Jack The Ripper

Regards,
                          Justin
                          They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            Hi Mike.

But what do I know?

Cheers,

Graham
                            Hi Graham.

Along with ideas, you can't actually copyright a title.
                            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Ola Amigos and Gringos,
                              Accents eh? I've discovered first hand that accents are different from state to state, province to province, in North America, as well as they must be worldwide. Can't understand a word my fellow Canadians are saying in the Maritime provinces, even though it's english. (Never mind Quebec, that's a different can of worms).
                              Celesta, do you have that southern belle accent? Or that Texas drawl?
                              How 'boot you Mike, ****ney? Stan, you got that Al Capone Chicaga twang?
                              How come Americans pronounce 'washington' as if it has an 'R' in it? Like this, warshinton. Or hanger like this 'hang-[B]g[B]er? Like it has two G's in it. How come Brits always drop the 'H' ?
                              Wonder what kind of accents extraterrestials have?

Saw that No Country For Old Men yesterday. Had to see it after reading this thread. It had to be good, 'cause I didn't go out for a quick smoke, or go for a whiz. Top of the line movie making. Javier Barbems character absolutely brilliant. What a nasty p#&*k ! A bit unrealistic though, in real life Texas is much more dangerous and lawless than that. Liked the ending, it was left open for a sequel.( I hope )

Thats enough of my drivel for the moment,
                              Plang

Comment

• Bardem definitely deserved that Oscar.

I say HANG-er and WASH-ing-ton not Worshington which I do hear a lot.

Most people from other areas tell me I have sort of an inland western accent. I can hear it some when I listen to myself on a recording.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X