When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whatever

Hello amigos? Being as this is an all-purpose thread, figure I'll throw in my nickel. As far as I know there is no such thing as a cyclone on the eastern seaboard of N.America, tornadoes and hurricanes yes. Must be global warming? (east is where the sun rises in the morning, by the way).
    Saw a flock of Whooping Cranes in Saskatchewan many moons ago.(Saskatchewan is a province of Canada, by the way).
    We are all guilty of gawking, except some are less shameless than others, such as Amazonian tribes.(and Americans ).
    Saw 'The B*** Job' ,I mean, 'The Bank Job' , yesterday. It was fair. But full of sh*te.
    The best movie ever made is 'The Deer Hunter' .
    For you young un's, it is required viewing to better understand our world.
    The most personally upsetting movie, for myself, is 'Eraserhead' , directed by David Lynch.
    blah, blah, blah...

Comment

• Hi Plang,

Cyclone is a colloquial term for tornadoes in parts of the States. The 1925 storm might have been an anti-cyclone like the red spot on Jupiter. Maybe it was a low flying UFO.
      Last edited by sdreid; 03-16-2008, 09:33 AM.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• sdreid, yes, colloquial to inhabitants of the Northern Hemisphere of the Pacific coast. This 1925 storm, are you suggesting it was turning clockwise? Well then it was a massive UFO mothership, very massive indeed!
        Your thoughts,

Comment

• The Deer Hunter is an awsome film, I have several different cuts of the movie, all of them great.

It is always shown late on TV over here, and once you start watching you cannot stop.

I wanted to watch Planet Terror last night but the wife wanted to watch some rom com!!!

I have my cardiology review tommorrow!

Here's hoping they can sort it out....
          Regards Mike

Comment

• We live in the Heart of America and my parents called tornadoes cyclones when I was a child. The 1925 storm was so strange a tornado that it's exact nature is in some question. Maybe it was just a freak tornado but it was freakish in more than one way. As I understand it the Jupiter anti-cyclone is actually a runaway high pressure area rather than the low pressure that we know in other storms. People who saw the 1925 tristate storm said that it just looked like a 2 mile wide cloud going across the ground at about 75 miles per hour. Whatever it was it killed about 700.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hello Folks,

Doesn't the term "cyclone" refer to the type of circulation in these storms? And thus be applicable, in that instance, to all the rotational storms?

Some people here are complaining about the gawkers. I don't think most people intend harm when they gawk; a lot just want to see what has gone down.

I hate that Cabbage town and the old mill were hit. Those are both old Atlanta landmarks.
              Last edited by Celesta; 03-16-2008, 06:18 PM.
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Whilst you guys are busy looking at it to ascertain what it is, i would be bloody running.....

I saw the terrible New York Crane accident, I am assuming accident until told by the Nations Leaders otherwise.

It must have been awful to have been on it when it fell, my thoughts go with the families of those were killed or injured, and the poor emergancy workers who had to attend, I know it's their job, but at the end of the day they are only human and always get over looked.

The biggest news in the uk today is corruption at a supermarket chain
                Seriously there have been fraud investigations regarding price fixing of potatoes!!!!!
                Sky News delivers breaking news, headlines and top stories from business, politics, entertainment and more in the UK and worldwide.

zzzzzzzzzzzz
                Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi all,

Actually, I used "cyclone" because I could not remember the name of the storm was reported as a "tornado". It was a strange sort of word association, as "cyclones" are usually in the plains of the midwest (such as the one in THE WIZARD OF OZ in Kansas, taking Dorothy Gale to Oz*). But it is a wind type storm. At least I did not call it a "sand storm", an "avalance", a "hurricane" or a "tsunami".

(*People tend to forget that in one of the early sequels, written after the 1906 earthquake and fire in San Francisco, L. Frank Baum has Dorothy and another character swallowed up in a quake and end up reunited with the Wizard and headed back for Oz.)

I found some interesting side-lights in "Find-a-grave" Besides the Ripper Victims, Montague Druitt's grave is shown at Wimborne Minster Cemetery.
                  He shares the cemetery with King Henry VII's grandfather and grandmother, the Duke and Duchess of Beaufort. But I was surprised to discover that Inspector Fred Abberline is just the road from Monty. Fred's buried at Wimborne Road Cemetery. Was Fred following a last minute hunch? But that's not the end of it. He's not the only figure from a notable murder case buried at Wimborne Road Cemetery. The architect, Francis Rattenbury, who was killed by Stoner in that crazy love triangle in 1935, is in the same cemetery. So are the parents of the painter John Singer Sargent (maybe Abberline was thinking that the Ripper was a late Victorian painter - Cornwall just got the wrong painter?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Technically any circular storm is a cyclone as Celesta says so that would include tornadoes, typhoons, hurricanes and the like. In general meteorological usage, it usually refers to a tropical storm in the Indian Ocean.

Jeff-Is Stoner in Find-A-Grave? I'm pretty sure he was out to participate in the war but I'm not sure if he was killed in such.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Ah, yes! After some research I concede that some refer to a tornado as a cyclone , (but not in technical use), but mainly to the somewhat illiterate.
                      Read that straight from The Random House Dictionary(second edition,Unabridged).
                      Sorry Jeff, completely forgot the S.F. quake and the Wizard of Oz connection.
                      Nice touch, 'side-lights' ? And for the 3rd time, that would be Cornwell, not Cornwall, you sly devil.

Comment

• Just dropping in quick, I have my cardiology appointment in a couple of hours, not really looking forward to it!

I was approached last night by my old pirate radio station friends to appear asa special guest at a Rave on Friday!!
                        I have not held a mic for over a year, and not been on stage for about 3, but it's the 10th aniv of the launch of my career so i agreed to do it, as long as i am well enough.

You guys might be intrested to know I have found a new Ripper letter, it appeared in an edition of the Hull News, and I am writing an article on it and other letters regarding hull, and arrests which were made in hull during 1888.
                        I have yet to find the origional letter, i fear it is destroyed, but i wont give up till i find out.

Take care all
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Stan, Plang, and Mike,

Mike, best of luck with the medical appointment. Likewise tracking down the new letter from the Ripper.

Plang, it is just as well I make that mistake with her name. Next I'll call her
                          "Cornball" or something else. "Cornwell" it is.

Stan, the trick about "Find - a - Grave" is that you have to be put down in it by someone determined to reveal where your grave is located. This, by the way, includes having two requisites besides a grave discoverer. First you have to be dead, second you have to be buried. Stoner may not be dead.
                          He was in the news sometime in the late 1980s, early 1990s, again having broken the law. This time he had done something like indecent exposure with a boy. I get the impression he is a really messed up individual. Anyway he was given another (if smaller) prison term.

Best wishes (and watch out for those "tornados - or - cyclones" or whatever!

Jeff

Comment

• Best of luck Mike! We'll all be thinking of you, for sure.
                            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post

The Colour of Magic is to be shown on TV in the UK over Easter, there have already been behind the scene's documentaries on Sky 1, who commissioned it.
                              Thanks Mike! I guess I can start looking for a torrent next week
                              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Hi all,

Jeff-It's new governor day! Interesting that Stoner might still be alive. For some reason I was thinking he was killed in the war. I guess he'd only be in Find-A-Cemetery Plot if that's the case. He'd have to be well into his 90s now wouldn't he? The Rattenbury thing must have really screwed him up or maybe he was just a reprobate in training ala Alma.

I love the movie Oklahoma Cyclone and have it on DVD.

Well wishes on the checkup Mike.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X