X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post

Der Hund von Baskerville is available on Bluray along with the 1914 version.
    I was conned when I first got Der Hund. No subtitles when it arrived so I had to buy it again. Then one got damaged in the post. Then they replaced it with the wrong film! It would have been less hassle learning German.

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

recently discovered Hound Of The Baskerville silent with Carlyle Blackwell.
    Der Hund von Baskerville is available on Bluray along with the 1914 version.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

One of our American members could put in a request to Library of Congress for a copy.

Also available in silent

Meh. At worst LoC can say no.

No doubt you have the John Barrymore film.
    Yes I’ve got the Barrymore one and recently discovered Hound Of The Baskerville silent with Carlyle Blackwell.

I know someone who knows some who...(you get the picture) who has the film. He’s in the process of tracking him down. He was living in Germany but he’s now in Norway apparently so it’s fingers crossed. If I don’t get it it won’t be the end of the world. I don’t collect as much as I used to. Collecting can get out of control and way too expensive. I once spent £450 on a two autograph only for my 5 year old nephew to tear it up.

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied

It’s The Return Of Sherlock Holmes (1929) with Clive Brook. The first talking Holmes movie.
    One of our American members could put in a request to Library of Congress for a copy.

Also available in silent

Meh. At worst LoC can say no.

No doubt you have the John Barrymore film.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    A question about ancestry records.

In Merrills book he says:

”The 1939 records are incomplete;Data Protection legislation prevents records of those born less than 100 years ago from being made available to the public.”

I don’t have access to any genealogy sites but a few months ago some of these were giving free access periods to do with WW1. I was messing around on one and a mate asked me to look something up. It was residents in his old house in 1939. Six occupants but two were blanked out (born in 1938 so less than 100 years) Of the four remaining two were born in 1927 and 1929 but they were visible and obviously born less than 100 years ago too. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Cheers Dave, I’ve got those three. A mate got them for me. There used to be a few of them on YouTube but not since ALW bought them.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

Which one?
    It’s The Return Of Sherlock Holmes (1929) with Clive Brook. The first talking Holmes movie.

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Internet Archive Search: subject:"Eille Norwood"

Three of the Stolls.

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied

There’s pretty much one movie I can’t get (BFI have a copy and I believe The Library Of Congress?
    Which one?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Sounds like he was talking cobblers

And as Dave said, the police don’t appear to have covered themselves in glory. Lost of files and evidence are now missing. They don’t even know where the skeleton has gone. Probably in someone’s cupboard.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied

Possibly both but definitely Crumpton. There appears to be quite a few of them in this case although of course I should say that some might have been well meaning but mistaken. Like Mr Cogzell who was adamant that he recognised the repair stitching in the shoes as being done by someone that he knew who used a very distinctive method...but around 10 years before the shoes were made.
    Sounds like he was talking cobblers

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Internet Archive has many Sherlock Holmes movies and some of the TV shows.

Free
    There’s pretty much one movie I can’t get (BFI have a copy and I believe The Library Of Congress? BFI would only put to dvd in bulk though) Also a silent movie series owned by Lloyd Webber. I wrote to his company twice and got no response. Looks like he’s just hoarding them for himself.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Who's a loony - Victor Crumpton, or the grafitti writer?
    Possibly both but definitely Crumpton. There appears to be quite a few of them in this case although of course I should say that some might have been well meaning but mistaken. Like Mr Cogzell who was adamant that he recognised the repair stitching in the shoes as being done by someone that he knew who used a very distinctive method...but around 10 years before the shoes were made.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied

This sounds like the story from Victor Crumpton who said that a PC B. Hollobin had caught a man writing a message . No record can be found about this though.

To cut a longish story short the guy is a looney. Reckoned he’d been in an asylum where 2 nurses had ‘disappeared.’
    Who's a loony - Victor Crumpton, or the grafitti writer?

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Internet Archive has many Sherlock Holmes movies and some of the TV shows.

Free

Leave a comment:

Working...
X