X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

What you mean is…..you’ll wait til after I’ve bought it.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

In that case I'll hang on to my money for a bit. Who knows, it might be a decent read, but he's a Jack of all trades...
    What you mean is…..you’ll wait til after I’ve bought it.

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied

Yeah, that’s the guy Al. He wrote a book on the Torso murders too. And Cleopatra and The Princes In The Tower and Vampires and Spartacus. I looked on his website and I make this his 107th book though that’s positively lazy compared to Barbara Cartland’s 723 (no, I haven’t read her books I had to Google that fact before you say it)
    In that case I'll hang on to my money for a bit. Who knows, it might be a decent read, but he's a Jack of all trades...

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

I'd love to read a full book dedicated to the case, but I'm wary about shelling out £20 on a book that hints at Nazi spies on the cover.

Was it MJ Trow that came up with the Robert Mann theory?
    Yeah, that’s the guy Al. He wrote a book on the Torso murders too. And Cleopatra and The Princes In The Tower and Vampires and Spartacus. I looked on his website and I make this his 107th book though that’s positively lazy compared to Barbara Cartland’s 723 (no, I haven’t read her books I had to Google that fact before you say it)

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    MJ Trow has a book out next year on the case.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/t/m...ood-murder.htm
    I'd love to read a full book dedicated to the case, but I'm wary about shelling out £20 on a book that hints at Nazi spies on the cover.

Was it MJ Trow that came up with the Robert Mann theory?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    MJ Trow has a book out next year on the case.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Hello. I have never heard of this case, but it is interesting. I looked up the Wikipedia entry on "who put Bella in the Wych Elm?" and the theories are all fairly wild.

I wonder if the graffiti was written by one of the youths who had discovered the woman's body?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    The Coley book adds nothing new as expected. At least I only paid £4 for it.

It adds one story of an old man who said that Bella used to sing in his parents pub and another one in town. She disappeared without warning after becoming friendly with the man’s mother (who’d given her a pair of shoes because her own were full of holes) The storyteller said that he didn’t like the look of the man that lived with her.

Theres also a photograph of Bob Hart, one of the boys that found Bella, as an adult.

The other book, that I’m about to begin, is The Case That Foiled Fabian, about the murder of Charles Walton which has been linked by some to the Bella case. Although any contention by McCormick doesn’t overwhelm you with confidence.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I just had 2 books arrive and one was Bella: An Unsolved Murder by Joyce M Coley. Only 26 pages long.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post
    I’ve never really understood why one is easily available but not the other?

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied

It’s The Return Of Sherlock Holmes (1929) with Clive Brook. The first talking Holmes movie.
    Later film. Other might enjoy.

Sherlock Holmes (1932) with Clive Brook - YouTube
    Last edited by DJA; 10-30-2020, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    thanks herlock and DJA-ill have to check those out!!

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Abby,

You'd enjoy "They Might Be Giants",1971.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi herlock
    ive been getting into the SH lately. i own murder by decree, a study in terror and hound of the baskervilles (cushing, lee). can you recommend a couple of the next best ones? nothing too old and or black and white.
    Hi Abby,

A few suggestions....

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes

A Billy Wilder movie and the favourite of Mark Gatiss who created Sherlock. Stars Robert Stephens as Holmes. Christopher Lee plays Mycroft.

The Seven Percent Solution starring Nicol Williamson as Holmes. Holmes has a drug problem and Mycroft and Watson trick him into going to Austria on Moriarty’s trail but really they want him to see Sigmund Freud. When he meets Freud he gets involved in a case.

Ian Richardson was a good Holmes and appeared in two 1980’s TV movies. The Hound and The Sign of Four.

Ill add a wildcard; one of my favourites. Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes.

Richardson plays Dr Joseph Bell who was Doyle’s inspiration for Holmes. Doyle becomes his assistant at the University and Doyle helps the police with investigations. So basically Bell = Holmes and Doyle = Watson.

Brilliant series. One pilot episode then 3 (or was it 4?) more episodes. All movie length.

Im sure you’ve seen the Grenada series with Jeremy Brett, Abby? Best Holmes ever imo.

Hope that helps

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied

I was conned when I first got Der Hund. No subtitles when it arrived so I had to buy it again. Then one got damaged in the post. Then they replaced it with the wrong film! It would have been less hassle learning German.
    hi herlock
    ive been getting into the SH lately. i own murder by decree, a study in terror and hound of the baskervilles (cushing, lee). can you recommend a couple of the next best ones? nothing too old and or black and white.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X