Kate's Last Half Hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post
    That detail perhaps plus their clothing, their hair color, their complexions, their expressions, what they were carrying.....

As St. James Place is a square, and we have no idea where in that square those road works were, then equally we have no idea which direction those people were heading.
    Just like Mitre Square, St. James Place has three exits; St. James Passage (to Mitre Square), Duke Street, & King Street.
    There's a 33 1/3 % chance those people were heading to Mitre Square.

OK, Let's pretend they all went into Mitre Square...…..why did the killer choose such a busy location?

Obviously, it wasn't busy when they arrived.

Mulshaw was the nightwatchman on duty around the corner from Bucks row. Cadosche was running back and forth over the fence in Hanbury street, god knows how many people were passing back & forth in Berner street. Lewis, Hutchinson, Bowyer and possibly Kennedy all were within distance to interrupt the Kelly murder.
    Everywhere was busy Leanne, its all a matter of timing, and in the east end that is just down to pure luck.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I think its interesting that the reporter gives the time he says he saw this, we don't get a direct quote on that time from the watchman. "I have seen some people pass" is a far broader statement.
      Paraphrase is used to reduce the size of the story, in this case the interview. Print space was often a premium. We do get the time, which is what matters.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Paraphrase is used to reduce the size of the story, in this case the interview. Print space was often a premium. We do get the time, which is what matters.
        Jon, the space used could have been the same or less. They used a direct quote for the other statement, his direct answer to the question could have fit easily in that page space.
        Michael Richards

Comment

Obviously, it wasn't busy when they arrived.

Mulshaw was the nightwatchman on duty around the corner from Bucks row. Cadosche was running back and forth over the fence in Hanbury street, god knows how many people were passing back & forth in Berner street. Lewis, Hutchinson, Bowyer and possibly Kennedy all were within distance to interrupt the Kelly murder.
          Everywhere was busy Leanne, its all a matter of timing, and in the east end that is just down to pure luck.
          And complete knowledge of the locations, the beat times of the cops, people's habits of leaving doors unlocked, etc

Comment

Was the exact time of Lawende's sighting, and the approximate time of the murder known by everyone at the time of this interview?

Comment

Jon, the space used could have been the same or less. They used a direct quote for the other statement, his direct answer to the question could have fit easily in that page space.
              This is obviously not what Blenkingsop would have said: "James Blenkingsop... states that about half-past one a respectably-dressed man came up to him and said, "Have you seen a man and a woman go through here?" "I didn't take any notice," returned Blenkingsop. "I have seen some people pass."

...returned Blenkingsop? Third-person, when this is, at face value, a first-person testimony. It's obviously heavily paraphrased.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I think its interesting that the reporter gives the time he says he saw this, we don't get a direct quote on that time from the watchman. "I have seen some people pass" is a far broader statement.
                about half past one was the time of the interview. Did he check his watch every time someone passed, yet not take any notice?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post
                  As St. James Place is a square, and we have no idea where in that square those road works were, then equally we have no idea which direction those people were heading.
                  Just like Mitre Square, St. James Place has three exits; St. James Passage (to Mitre Square), Duke Street, & King Street.
                  There's a 33 1/3 % chance those people were heading to Mitre Square.

There was a discussion about this a few years back, and if I recall correctly, the works Blenkinsop may have been watching was the building of a new fire station in St James Sq. I think it was situated near the entrance to Mitre Sq thru St James Passage. May be worth having a search for.

Comment

• Like everything else Jon

The old wooden fire station was being upgraded to brick. There were three firemen on duty overnight.

Think he was a fitter.

Seems to be connected to the road upgrade.
                    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      Like everything else Jon

The old wooden fire station was being upgraded to brick. There were three firemen on duty overnight.

Think he was a fitter.

Seems to be connected to the road upgrade.
                      Cheers Dave.
                      Yes, that`s the one

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post

There was a discussion about this a few years back, and if I recall correctly, the works Blenkinsop may have been watching was the building of a new fire station in St James Sq. I think it was situated near the entrance to Mitre Sq thru St James Passage. May be worth having a search for.
                        Are you sure about that? Just going by the maps, the wooden fire station of 1887 has by 1893 been replaced with a urinal. I'd expect a new brick building to have lasted a bit longer, but there's no accounting for town planners whims I suppose.

Comment

• As long as it's not a blue police box.

Comment

• 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Richard,

This from the Weekly Herald 5th October 1888.

THE MITRE SQUARE CRIME.

Mitre Square is a sort of huge yard about 120 feet square, and there are three entrances to it, the principal being from Mitre Street; which is broad enough to accomodate two vehicles abreast. There is also a short, covered court, about 20 yards long, leading into St. James's Place, another square, popularly known as the "Orange Market," in the centre of which is a public convenience, a street fire station consisting simply of a waggon on wheels, and also a permanent street fire station in course of erection.

It kinda ties in with Robs image he has provided.

Also, as an idea, Ive posted images Jakey did some time ago.

Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              03-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Richard,

This from the Weekly Herald 5th October 1888.

THE MITRE SQUARE CRIME.

Mitre Square is a sort of huge yard about 120 feet square, and there are three entrances to it, the principal being from Mitre Street; which is broad enough to accomodate two vehicles abreast. There is also a short, covered court, about 20 yards long, leading into St. James's Place, another square, popularly known as the "Orange Market," in the centre of which is a public convenience, a street fire station consisting simply of a waggon on wheels, and also a permanent street fire station in course of erection.

It kinda ties in with Robs image he has provided.

Also, as an idea, Ive posted images Jakey did some time ago.

Monty

I wouldn’t believe a word Monty says.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Mitre Square

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search Mitre Square is a SMALL square in the City of London. It measures about 77 feet (23 m) by 80 feet (24 m) and is connected via three passages with Mitre Street to the SW, to Creechurch Place to the NW and, via St James's Passage (formerly Church Passage), to Duke's Place to the NE.

Comment

Working...
                                X