Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post

I'm not touching this one - I'll leave it to others.
    There is nothing to touch, just stating that if you are born in a particular country it does not always mean that is your nationality. It might make it easier to be so but that is that. If my statement that you replied to is in anyway offensive or R or X then then game is gone, it's lost and proves the point Herlock earlier made.
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 07-02-2024, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I'm not touching this one - I'll leave it to others.
      Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

Does not mean if you are born in a stable you are a horse. An old school chum was born in Germany, she is British. My daughter was born here in England and she is Polish. Religion is of course different to race.

I take it you are British? If so then your daughter is also British. She can also be Polish of course. Dual citizenship/nationality is a thing. My son is British (born here and has a British passport), but is also American and holds a USA passport (thanks to my lovely wife).

The children of those immigrants are 100% British, and the third or forth generation currently living there certainly are as well.

All the best,
      Tab
      Last edited by Tab; 07-02-2024, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

There is nothing to touch, just stating that if you are born in a particular country it does not always mean that is your nationality. It might make it easier to be so but that is that. If my statement that you replied to is in anyway offensive or R or X then then game is gone, it's lost and proves the point Herlock earlier made.

Sorry to disappoint you, Geddy, but it was just a case of not gedding it and hoping someone else would geddit. I see Tab got it.

I am also slow to take offence, whether or not it was intentionally given.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 07-02-2024, 04:07 PM.
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Tab View Post

I take it you are British? If so then your daughter is also British. She can also be Polish of course. Dual citizenship/nationality is a thing. My son is British (born here and has a British passport), but is also American and holds a USA passport (thanks to my lovely wife).

The children of those immigrants are 100% British, and the third or forth generation currently living there certainly are as well.

All the best,
          Tab
          I am yes. She is Polish, she does not have dual nationality. I know she can apply for it and become 'half' British but at the moment (and probably forever) she is 100% Polish. She is now over 18 so can chose for herself but she certainly is just Polish at this moment in time. She has no British passport etc.

Comment

• Just in case Geddy didn't geddit either, I had the misfortune to know a National Front member back in the 60s, who tried out one of their set racist arguments on me, that a cat born in a kennel is not a dog.

If it sounds familiar, that's not my problem.

Love,

Caz
            X

Comment

Hi RD,

Down here in Devon, they are building estates of cardboard boxes, but in areas where there is none of the community infrastructure to go with the new housing and provide jobs: the lack of shops, schools, a doctor, dentist or library within walking distance; parks or safe play areas for the kids; pubs, cafes and regular bus or train services nearby for families who would struggle to run a car on top of paying the rent or mortgage. Taxis, for emergencies or those with spare cash, are already like hen's teeth due to all the school run contracts. But if you're lucky there'll probably be a church a mile or two away and a golf club.

All the services we took for granted, growing up in a London suburb in the 50s and 60s, must seem like an impossible dream for many young families today.

Nobody who enjoyed those advantages should have the right to pull up the drawbridge and actively deny them to the next generation.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Well said Caz, great post!

RD
              "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

I am yes. She is Polish, she does not have dual nationality. I know she can apply for it and become 'half' British but at the moment (and probably forever) she is 100% Polish. She is now over 18 so can chose for herself but she certainly is just Polish at this moment in time. She has no British passport etc.
                Happy to be corrected, but surely your daughter would have no need to apply if she was born in the UK to a British parent. Would she not automatically have acquired British nationality in that case?

Confused Caz
                X

Comment

Happy to be corrected, but surely your daughter would have no need to apply if she was born in the UK to a British parent. Would she not automatically have acquired British nationality in that case?

Confused Caz
                  X
                  We were not married at the time and we discussed it and decided it was best for her to follow her mother's nationality. Growing up she was always happy with being Polish and since she is over 20 now I've not been informed she has changed her mind. She might well be British by default but we have never claimed she is or applied for a British passport etc. She did like Boris' 'blue Passports' though so you never know. I guess I'm as confused as you. To be honest it's not really a thing that has ever been a big deal to any of us but we would always talk about it if required.

To add my nephew whose both parents are Polish was born in the Channel Islands and they had no choice, he is full on 100% British, passport the lot. However both his parents are Polish... odd.
                  Last edited by Geddy2112; 07-02-2024, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Just in case Geddy didn't geddit either, I had the misfortune to know a National Front member back in the 60s, who tried out one of their set racist arguments on me, that a cat born in a kennel is not a dog.

I think we all know one here now

The horse/stable was an old saying my dear nana would come out with and I'm sure it was to do more with religion than nationality i.e. Jesus was born in a Stable and he was not a horse so to speak. I'm fairly sure she was not being racist or xenophobic either. In fact I do believe it was not until 1988 ish when she saw an African man in the high street and got shocked as she had only ever seen one on TV. I doubt to her 'racist' was a word or concept she was familiar with.

Last edited by Geddy2112; 07-02-2024, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• I’d always assumed that the saying first came from The Duke Of Wellington. Someone mentioned that he was Irish because he was born in Ireland but he replied that if he’d been born in a stable it wouldn’t have made him a horse. It’s a good quote from someone who wasn’t exactly regarded as the Groucho Marx of British political and military life.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        I’d always assumed that the saying first came from The Duke Of Wellington. Someone mentioned that he was Irish because he was born in Ireland but he replied that if he’d been born in a stable it wouldn’t have made him a horse. It’s a good quote from someone who wasn’t exactly regarded as the Groucho Marx of British political and military life.
                        At least he gets to wear a cone on his head in Glasgow every day...

Comment

Just to play devil's advocate here but without ever growing numbers of immigrants would we need to fill those vacancies? Surely the number of people increasing on these shores will undoubtedly increase the strain on the NHS maybe more than it helps fills the positions. Are they directly proportional?
                          I guess it's like saying ban smoking to stop the strain on the NHS but does the tax smoking brings in out weigh the stain or vice versa?

All the best to you too!
                          Hi Geddy,

"No" would be the answer to that. People requiring support to live in their own homes rely on more than just one person, so for example a single person needing 24/7 support would create around 105 working hours per week plus any overnight care. Since community based care is given higher preference to residential, the amount of people requiring lower ratio community based support, 1:1 or 2:1 is actually very high in the UK. A care home can 'care' for say 20 adults with a skeleton crew of 5, but it's largely the reserve of geriatric care because the quality is dire at best. So in your community there could be a fair few adults with home care. It's more than you realise. This requires a significantly larger staff level, hence the huge demand and availability of Health and Social Care jobs. The reality is that without a migrant workforce the system would collapse, our own domestic workforce isn't capable of meeting the demand and that's without factoring in the undesirability of the line of work which further exacerbates the problem.

The Health and Social Care sector is a problem no one wants to face, for many reasons. Discussion around immigration is no different in that the sector is ignored as it's inconvenient for arguing to restrict immigration. In reality, one of the UK's biggest sectors is dependent on immigration. Get old enough, or ill enough, we might be too.

Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

... Why do we have a moral obligation to look after people who just feel that our country is a better financial option than their own? I think that our first obligation is to our own population. We have people living on the streets; we have old people choosing between food or heat; we have people working who still have to go to food banks to survive; we have an NHS that’s on its knees; we have housing shortages. Shipping in droves of people from other countries cannot be a remotely good idea (even if a few of them might be nurses). We are far too soft in my opinion. We are a country that sends money to India…a country that has a space programme!! Why isn’t a single politician saying “I tell you what chaps, why don’t you hold back on building rockets for an while and make some effort to stop your people starving? Or to allow people in more remote areas access to medical help?” But no, we send cash....
                            You hit nail on the head there Mike.
                            I applaud those who speak their mind, enough of this weakery-wokery nonsense - "say what you mean & mean what you say", if it offends someone, so long as you have been civil, then thats their problem. They have to grow a pair and desist with their juvenile nonsense.
                            Then, the world might be a better place.

If the govt. are handing out homes to the homeless, then they should start with the British homeless. Then, if there's any left over they go to newcomers, but Legal newcomers, not illegal migrants.
                            The idea of Asylum Seekers should be dropped, they only qualify if the came directly, which must mean by plane, from the country they are escaping from. They are clearly not seeking asylum if they came from Europe by boat.

Solutions:
                            - There are about 70 isles in the Orkneys, only 20 are inhabited, the govt. can ship these illegal migrants to any one of those islands and process them in due course.
                            - There are only two genders; you are either male or female, and it is not a choice.
                            - Voting has to be by Proportional Representation, this two party system has not worked.
                            - The UK is a Christian based society, other beliefs are welcomed as guests, providing the migrants accept British Customs, laws & traditions.
                            - The role of Mayor of any city (think London!) should be abolished, no need for duplicate levels of bureaucracy.

Five will do for a start to get Britain back on its feet.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi RD,

Down here in Devon, they are building estates of cardboard boxes, but in areas where there is none of the community infrastructure to go with the new housing and provide jobs: the lack of shops, schools, a doctor, dentist or library within walking distance; parks or safe play areas for the kids; pubs, cafes and regular bus or train services nearby for families who would struggle to run a car on top of paying the rent or mortgage. Taxis, for emergencies or those with spare cash, are already like hen's teeth due to all the school run contracts. But if you're lucky there'll probably be a church a mile or two away and a golf club.
                              If you're lucky, it hasn't been turned into a mosque.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Just in case Geddy didn't geddit either, I had the misfortune to know a National Front member back in the 60s, who tried out one of their set racist arguments on me, that a cat born in a kennel is not a dog.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                Back in the 60's we had Enoch Powell, I can't remember what kind of following he had, but up north where I grew up he was considered to be more of a comical character.
                                I don't remember anyone who took him serious, I really think the ideas promoted by the old National Front have matured in the past half century, at least I hope so.
                                Skin colour has nothing to do with it, many of our social problems stem from intolerance and lack of respect for others.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X