Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what song are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two tracks from the 60s that really give you a flavour of working class America for some of the youngsters - a real contrast to the Beach Boys (although I loved them too):

Then He Kissed Me - The CrystalsGoodfellas ( Classic )Adventures In Babysitting

THis stuff was still really popular when I was a teenager in the 70s.

Comment

• The Crystals! Loved 'em. Also loved The Ronnettes. Everything that Phil Spector touched in those days turned to gold (records). The difference between us, Limehouse, is that I'm old enough to remember those songs when they first hit the airwaves.

Come to think of it, it seems to me that I loved virtually every pop/rock song written between, say, 1956 and 1972. After that, not so much, except ABBA.

Comment

• Hi Julie and Ken. Love the Crystals and the Ronettes!

But here are two bands I love even more- the Chiffons and the Cookies!!!

He's So Fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMrFht6ryTg

Don't Say Nothin' Bad About My Baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSre...eature=related

I've got my little white go-go boots on...
        Archaic

Comment

• I gotta post this one too; it's just too die for!!

The Shangri-La's performing 'Leader of the Pack' live on the TV show "I've Got A Secret, 1964!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            The Crystals! Loved 'em. Also loved The Ronnettes. Everything that Phil Spector touched in those days turned to gold (records). The difference between us, Limehouse, is that I'm old enough to remember those songs when they first hit the airwaves.

Come to think of it, it seems to me that I loved virtually every pop/rock song written between, say, 1956 and 1972. After that, not so much, except ABBA.
            Hi GM

Although I was a teenager in the 70s - I had an older sister and brother who were teenagers in the 60s so I do remember a lot of songs from that time.

I would agree that 1956 - 1972ish was a kind of 'golden age' for pop music - although there was some good stuff around after 1972. Spector was - indeed - a superb producer. His decline was very sad. Can't agree about ABBA though - much too over-produced and twee for my taste!

Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              Hi Julie and Ken. Love the Crystals and the Ronettes!

But here are two bands I love even more- the Chiffons and the Cookies!!!

He's So Fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMrFht6ryTg

Don't Say Nothin' Bad About My Baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSre...eature=related

I've got my little white go-go boots on...
              Archaic

Hi Archaic!

I love the Chiffons! You should hear me belt out 'Sweet Talking Guy'! A wonderful track!

Keep your boots on - I'll post a few more!

Julie

Comment

• Hi Julie. Ah, you have such good taste!

I agree with you about Phil Spector, such a sad ending after so brilliant a contribution to music- what would Rock & Roll be if we'd never heard his incredible "Wall of Sound"?
                And Spector produced the 'Let It Be' album by my all-time favorite band The Beatles!

I agree with you about Abba too. I know how popular they were and still are, but they were never my cup of tea... too disco-y for me. (Oh well, to each his own.)

Which reminds me, what does "twee" mean?

Cheers,
                B.

Comment

• Re Leader of the Pack :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                    Hi Julie. Ah, you have such good taste!

I agree with you about Phil Spector, such a sad ending after so brilliant a contribution to music- what would Rock & Roll be if we'd never heard his incredible "Wall of Sound"?
                    And Spector produced the 'Let It Be' album by my all-time favorite band The Beatles!

I agree with you about Abba too. I know how popular they were and still are, but they were never my cup of tea... too disco-y for me. (Oh well, to each his own.)

Which reminds me, what does "twee" mean?

Cheers,
                    B.
                    Hi Archaic

'twee' means homely and 'proper' - kind of what your mum or granny would approve of. No guts! I like music with a bit of spirit and a slight off-key. Something I would call 'oganic'.

Comment

• Nick Cave.. or .. Tom Waits... Cave or Waits... hmmm.

Nick Cave wins the toss today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJTjsVSzQ1Q

Definitely not twee.
                      Last edited by Ausgirl; 08-23-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                        Nick Cave.. or .. Tom Waits... Cave or Waits... hmmm.

Nick Cave wins the toss today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJTjsVSzQ1Q

Definitely not twee.

*purring* Nick Cave is always a win

Comment

• Precisely, Sister Hyde! What a heart throb! (and a local one too!)

But since I'm up late, and poor Tom came in second best today (he doesn't always) I thought I'd also share this remarkable show he did in Denmark in 1976. He's only 27 years old, in this. Waits in his youth was really ... oh, just insert every superlative you can think of here... and this show is a shining example of him at his best as performance artist, poet and musician.

Whew. I'm such a fangirl. Anyway, on with the show:

Elephant Beer Blues Part 1 (18 mins)
                          and
                          Elephant Beer Blues Part 2 (21 mins)

The final song is just hilarious.
                          Last edited by Ausgirl; 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                            Hi Archaic

'twee' means homely and 'proper' - kind of what your mum or granny would approve of. No guts! I like music with a bit of spirit and a slight off-key. Something I would call 'oganic'.
                            Hi Julie, thanks. Another English friend told me "twee" also meant something "sickeningly sweet". So I guess it means something that's a bit treacly? (Love that word )

Now I'm trying to work out what "oganic" means.

Hmmm, not "organic", not "gonadic"...

-I'm stumped!
                            Archaic

PS: Thanks Robert; very elevating. I'm glad they didn't use footage of Eva in the 'She's So Modern' video, because I really like that song.
                            Last edited by Archaic; 08-23-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• getting motivated to work is so tough in the morning. Thus music is mandatory to mental survival.

Comment

• Some imbecile told me today that Madness are a better band than The Beatles - and that Paul McCartney can't sing.

I LOL'd.

Cheers,
                                Adam.

Comment

Working...
                                X