Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what song are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice, Limehouse.

No, I am afraid I have a blind spot for Mahler (and Wagner). But don't despair, because I do love Tchaikovsky. Here is the wonderfully nostalgic second movement of the 6th. The third movement is a joyful march, but I can no longer listen to the first and final movements because they affect me too much.

I can just about bear to hear Barber's Adagio, but not when it's used (as often happens) to accompany something sad on TV, e.g. I was watching a programme about a WW2 air raid disaster, and just as the camera pans over the graves, you guessed it, up starts Barber's Adagio. I mean, things were sad enough already!

Comment

• Hi Robert

I like Tchiakovsky very much too - especially his piano concerto and Romeo and Juliet and his ballets.

The piece I have been listening to this evening is a modern piece (well - mid 20th century) but is a great favourite since childhood - the Warsaw Concerto

Patrik Jablonski Polish Radio Symphony OrchestraWarsaw Concerto by Richard Addinsell was composed as background music to the movie Dangerous Moonlight treati...

I am sure it must have been inspired at least in part by Tchiakovsky.

Comment

• Hi Limehouse

Yes, that's a nice piece. For some reason I can't put my finger on, it seems that I have heard it in a film. Other film pieces that come to mind are The Dream Of Olwen (which I think is actually called While I Live) and The Legend Of The Glass Mountain.

PS Don't forget Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto!

And now if you have tears, prepare to shed them now. Absolutely heartbreaking :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Hi Limehouse

Yes, that's a nice piece. For some reason I can't put my finger on, it seems that I have heard it in a film. Other film pieces that come to mind are The Dream Of Olwen (which I think is actually called While I Live) and The Legend Of The Glass Mountain.

PS Don't forget Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto!

And now if you have tears, prepare to shed them now. Absolutely heartbreaking :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG-Lw9CRXVU
          I am wringing my hanky out!

As were on film themes - this kind of makes my hairs stand on end:

The theme "The Green Leaves of Summer" for John Wayne's "The Alamo" (1960). The song is composed by Dimitri Tiomkin & Paul Francis Webster.

Comment

• Tiomkin, yes I know that name. I seem to remember this as a song : a time to be courting, a time to be loving, etc.

Here is a comical piece. I remember hearing that Beethoven sent this to his publisher as an untitled bagatelle, and it was the publisher who thought up the title. It really does sound like someone feverishly searching his pockets for a lost coin :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Tiomkin, yes I know that name. I seem to remember this as a song : a time to be courting, a time to be loving, etc.

Here is a comical piece. I remember hearing that Beethoven sent this to his publisher as an untitled bagatelle, and it was the publisher who thought up the title. It really does sound like someone feverishly searching his pockets for a lost coin :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnvhfTuVG4

Yes - it was made into a song based on Ecclesiastes 3 ( a time to reap and time to sow etc)

IOt was called The Green Leaves of Summer.

Comment

• Yes- playing that Beethoven I can clearly see my husband going throw all his pockets looking for his wallet. Then he does it all over again looking for his car keys. Then it's his hearing aid!

Here is a man who is very dear to me and this song - by him - is just so completely lovely:

God Bless him.

Comment

• When I clicked that up I thought "Eh?" But it turned out to be a very nice version indeed.

When I heard this Tiomkin song at the age of 3, I was right there under the may apple tree even though I'd never seen the film.

Comment

• friday bluesy friday

Diamanda Galas ao vivo a interpretar o tema "Let my People Go"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
                      That was very powerful Sister. Thanks. Just right for Friday night!

Comment

• actually that was the version i was looking for but it's almost the exact same she can't help she's so awesome live

Comment

• she's such a genius, her voice makes me vibrate all, no matter if i listen to her jazz, her blues, her opera or even her weird biblical experimental vocals.

Comment

• Spéciale dédicace à Dominique Strauss-Kahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-7cfiGes6Q

Comment

• Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
                              she's such a genius, her voice makes me vibrate all, no matter if i listen to her jazz, her blues, her opera or even her weird biblical experimental vocals.
                              Tom Waits does that for me.

Comment

• Hi,

Anyone like Bob Dylan?

Comment

Working...
                                X