When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
    Okay, if not DeLint, how about Neil Gaiman?
    I really like Neil Gaiman

His novels mostly--Although I did like the two "Death" comics (apparently they are making a movie based on "Death, the High Cost of Living"--my favourite of the two.)

Have you ever read Christopher Moore?
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• So I had a pretty serious fall on Saturday night in the parking lot on my way in to do my show. I got through the show okay, but I was in some pain by the time I got home. I knew going to the ER on a Saturday night was a waste of time, so my wife and I went to the late night pharmacy to get some Tylenol 1's. My wife (who is American) was totally shocked to find out you can buy codeine over the counter up here--especially as she suffers from bronchitis most winters and codeine cough syrup is about the only thing that works (and it never occurred to me to mention it, so I was in the dog-house for a while).

Anyway, the T-1's didn't do anything except make me sick and keep me up all night, so the next day I went to the ER and waited a couple of hours to see a doctor, who proceed to grab my shoulder and try and wrench it right out of my socket before saying "you've been hurt. Try not to fall over anymore".

Upshot is that I have severe bruising on both knees my right hip, elbow and shoulder, and a torn muscle in my abdomen. I tell the doc that it hurts--a lot. His response? "Yep, it hurts, and it's going to hurt for at least three weeks--get used to it". And they sent me home.

And after hardly being able to move by the time I finished work on Monday, I went to see my own doctor today, who further concludes that I twisted my back in the fall, and that I shouldn't take the T-1's anymore because I'm reacting badly to them, writes me a prescription for percocet and tells me not to left anything (at all) for at least two weeks.

So know I can hardly move, but at least I don't hurt so much, and I'm floating in a haze of narcotic-induced peace--and hopefully I'll finally get a whole night's sleep

How was everyone else's weekend ?

Comment

• Pretty much the same Magpie, but I do hope you get better soon, perhaps some native american chief has a curse on you

The bodysnatchers tried to sell Cookes body were at court yesterday, I am still trying to find an online article!!

Here is a sad piece of news about a wonderful director and former hull resident,

Sky News delivers breaking news, headlines and top stories from business, politics, entertainment and more in the UK and worldwide.

Anthony Minghella R.I.P

I have not heard about Arthur C Clarke passing.

Have a good day, I am boycotting my local Chinese takeaway in protest over their treatment of Tibet. I just hope they resolve this issue soon, i am gagging for a spring roll!
        Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
          Have a good day, I am boycotting my local Chinese takeaway in protest over their treatment of Tibet. I just hope they resolve this issue soon, i am gagging for a spring roll!
          You do realize that Chinese food (as eaten in the west) isn't actually Chinese, right? It was largely developed in America

This might be an excellent opportunity to try some Japanese gyoza--you'll swear off egg rolls for life!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
            Pretty much the same Magpie, but I do hope you get better soon, perhaps some native american chief has a curse on you

!
            Thanks Mike

I feel like crap, but I just keep reminding myself that a year ago I was in just as much pain from a biopsy on my throat, with the added stress of possibly being diagnosed with either cancer or tuberculosis--it helps put things in perspective

Comment

• Great I will have Chinese for dinner then, and find some other way to boycott the country!

I hope you get better buddy, I have little or no germ defences at the moment because of my heart so i tend to pick up everything, at the moment, my chest seem's pretty heavy and I have a runny nose, so I am expecting cold or worse any day now.

I take loads of vitamins and fruit but i always get hit hard!!

Just found a link for Arthur C Clarke, Mysterious World was re-released on DVD only last month, with no extras, every review wanted a commentary or even an interview with the great man, I guess they will never get their wish now.

Sky News delivers breaking news, headlines and top stories from business, politics, entertainment and more in the UK and worldwide.
              Last edited by Mike Covell; 03-19-2008, 10:46 AM.
              Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Stan,

Moseley escaped from prison and was caught after attacking another woman back in the 1960s. So much for his claims of innocence and demands of being released.

The story about the man who sold Cooke's body (it sounds like a novel's title)
                is odd. Cooke's body and hundreds of others were in the hands of this undertaker who faked records of burial, and then sold the body parts to hospitals around the country. He is probably going to get something like 15 to 20 years for this.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff, Mike and Magpie;

Mike-I'm refusing to play Chinese Checkers for the rest of the month too (even though it was invented in Germany). Yes, Mysterious World was it I think. They did a flying saucer show if I recall.

Jeff-Moseley is a serial killer and should never be released in fact he should have gotten the death penalty in my view.

Magpie-Hope you get to feeling better.
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• "Mike-I'm refusing to play Chinese Checkers for the rest of the month too (even though it was invented in Germany)."

I am trying to get the wife to boycott Chinese whispers!!!

Her mother gets told one thing who tells my wife and between them they blow it out of proportion, for eg,

A couple of weeks ago a man was on the roof of a building in the town centre, by the time it gets to my wife he is a suicide, about to jump!

Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                      Thanks Mike

I feel like crap, but I just keep reminding myself that a year ago I was in just as much pain from a biopsy on my throat, with the added stress of possibly being diagnosed with either cancer or tuberculosis--it helps put things in perspective

I'm sorry to hear about this awful fall. Did you slip on ice or something? Clearly, you landed very hard to be so banged up.

I know about the cancer trauma. It's one of the most frightening things I've ever been through. Anyway, all of that codeine stuff makes me sick as a dog. I talked to my oncologist, and he told me it was fine to use Ibuprofen up until 2 weeks before I had the surgery, when I had no choice but to use Tylenol. A nurse told me it was probably the Tylenol causing me to be so sick and not just the codeine. Sure enough, after I switched to regular Tylenol, it made me sick, too. I had to make it through the last two weeks prior to surgery bouncing from one awful pain killer to another and not one of them worked to stop the pain. The morning I went in for surgery, I had not been able to keep food down for a week. Then after the surgery, they wouldn't let me have real food. It made me a tad cranky. Ibuprofen is the ticket.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• I can't take Ibuprofen because it can burst my stomach ulcers, instead I am stuck with Paracetamol which is weak, unless you take the higher end of the recomended dose, which usually just sends me to sleep!

I have been told to try holistic medicines, but wouldn't know were to start!!

I do enjoy a nice quite lie down, no noise, no kids, no nothing......
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                          I'm sorry to hear about this awful fall. Did you slip on ice or something? Clearly, you landed very hard to be so banged up.

Yeah, I was getting out of my car, and I had my feet on a patch of ice and I couldn't get out of the car or back in to move it. I tried to heave myself out, but that's when I tore my muscle and my knee gave way, causing me to go down like a sack of poo. The way I fell I get jammed under the car, every time I tried to get myself free I strained the abdominal muscle more

Comment

• That sounds pretty scary and awful too, I couldn't imagine being in that position.
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Take heart, Mags, Spring is a few hours away.

Holy cow, you tore a muscle. It's just going to take time.
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi all,

I saw my doctor today, and now I have to set up an abdominal sonogram.
                                It never seems to end - even though I wish it would end. I'm tired of medical bills.

Mike I'm sorry to hear about your inability to use certain medications. I have
                                had similar problems, though for limited periods. I'm supposed to take an ecotrin each night for my heart. With all the potential surgery and actual surgery I've had to stop it's use each time.

Stan, I agree that Moseley is a killer. I only wish he were attacked and killed in prison while his fellow prisoners and the guards look on and don't act while he's screaming in agony. It would seem fitting somehow.

Interestingly enough a famous crime date passed this past weekend, and nobody seems to have commented: the Ides of March. The assassination
                                of Julius Caesar (one would think) is a significant murder - but the situation
                                is different I guess because we know who killed Caesar. The only mystery in it is Brutus' motivation. Was it misguided patriotism to the Roman Republic, threatened by Caesar's political moves, or was it more personal - that he was upset to learn he was Caesar's illegitimate son? That is what he apparently was told. So did Caesar say "Et tu Brute" or the latin equivalent of "And you too, my son?"

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X