When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Jeff,

Yes, I remember looking in my paper on the 15th in the section where they note anniversaries and they didn't mention Caesar. It surprised me because I think they listed it in previous years.

The equinox is tonight (01:48 AM EDT March 20) so winter is finally over.

Tonight's UFO Hunters was about more flying saucer back engineering.
    Last edited by sdreid; 03-20-2008, 05:44 AM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Still cannot belive Arthur C Clarke has gone, let me tell you a little story,

Back when I was a little nipper i didn't really have any hobbies or intrests but i did like to read, although i didn't have an area i would say was my fave topic.
      That is until my father gave me two heavy volumnes of Unexplained Mysteries, i read and re-read them, and was captivated. By the time Arthur C Clarke released mysterious world I would sit with my dad and spend hours discussing the show, then he got the book to accompany the show for me!!
      I loved it and again read it constantly, then came Strange Powers which he bought for me and i read constantly.
      Just recently we had a discussion regarding the re-release of the Mysterious World and he brought up the fact that i used to sit mesmerised by the show.

He called me to inform me Clarke had passed and I felt a genuine upset, this was a guy I was brought up with.

Rest in Peace

I try not to take to much medication for any ailement I might have, i think vitamins, rest and loads of TLC usually help!
      Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I agree, especially with the TLC. It does usually help.

It is odd about Clarke. When I was in Junior High School my knowledge of science fiction were the two classic writers: Verne and Wells. Then we had to read modern science fiction writer. Most chose Asimov or Clarke and I chose THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES by Ray Bradbury (which I enjoyed). To this day I never read anything by Asimov or Clarke or Robert Heinlein. Later I did read HIGH CRUSADE by (I think) Poul Anderson, but my subsequent interests in any science fiction was limited (Jack Finney's Time travel stories were an exception).

I was reading the thread about Thomas Toughill's book on the Ripper Code.
        So how was Goa?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

I was reading the thread about Thomas Toughill's book on the Ripper Code.
          So how was Goa?

Best wishes,

Jeff
          That was a nod to a book i had read which stated Jungle Barry Halpin was Lord Lucan, and had been living in Goa, one of the earlier posters had called me Lord Lucan!

I do well to walk to the town centre these days!
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Virgin Mary Cries!!

It is an Easter Miracle,

A Statue of the Virgin Mary is Crying, yes thats right, shedding tears!!!
            Thousands of Catholics are flocking to a village in Mexico where a figure of the Virgin Mary is apparently shedding tears. Locals in Queretaro the statue began crying after it returned from a pilgrimage to a town nearby

View the footage courtesy of Sky News,

Regards Mike

Comment

• Here is a link to Arthur C. Clark's farewell video. It is a bit long, but is worth the time. I saw it a couple of months ago, I think, and as always his wisdom and intelligence shines through. You can tell that he is tired. I hope this works. If not, all you have to do is googly "Arthur C. Clark video."

"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• At one time, 2001: A Space Odyssey was my favorite film. I saw it first run at the theater. It was the first modern sci-fi movie and still holds up well.

I wonder why the statue didn't wait until Friday to cry.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  At one time, 2001: A Space Odyssey was my favorite film. I saw it first run at the theater. It was the first modern sci-fi movie and still holds up well.

I wonder why the statue didn't wait until Friday to cry.
                  2001 is a great film, "Open the bay doors Hal" I love it, especially the musical score, I have a huge telly, and love to get lost in that film.

I guess she is crying, not because of Easter but because the way we are going as a race.
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I sort of guessed they were suggesting you were his miising Lordship. Whom is (I believe) at the bottom of the channel - I think he committed suicide when his plan unravelled.

I read somewhere that in his heyday "Lucky" Lucan ate the same thing at his club for dinner - a lamb cutlet. It is the only time I have ever heard of such a version of cutlets (I am usually aware of only chicken and veal, although in a Japanese restaurant I tried a pork cutlet once). I thought it was lamb chops or mutton.

Lucan's ancestor was the idiot involved in the Charge of the Light Brigade with his hated brother-in-law and cousin Cardigan. That Lord Lucan managed to survive to his late 90s, and died in 1888 (ominous year). He became a field marshal the year before (an award for the Golden Jubilee perhaps), making him one of the oldest generals in British military annals.
                    That Lord Lucan was also involved in a murder case: in 1872 his mistress, Madame Riel, was murdered by her servant Margarite Dixblanc in her Park Lane Mansion (bought for her by Lucan). His Lordship had to give evidence at the trial of Dixblanc, who got a prison sentence.

Goa is in India I think. Does anyone ever go to Goa? Are there goats in Goa?
                    Going, going, Goa, gone...

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• sreid, mike and whoever gives a tinkers cuss, Bought 2001 A Space Odyessy at walmart on DVD for $2.99 Cdn. As well as 2010. But most of my library got ripped off recently . Thats ok, there are great DVD's out there for next to nothing, so long as you recognize the good from the bad, (and ugly).

Comment

• Goa is I believe on the coast of India, the book I read, stated that the author was convinced this Jungle Barry Halpin was Lucan, his facial features matched, as did his unusual lobeless ear....lobes!!

They guy also mentioned to several people who he had befriended that he once lived the "High life in England".

It mentions the connection in the book regarding the lack of luck the family had!!

I am lucky in respect of DVD's and location of shops that sell them.
                        We have 5 dvd retailers who sell new stuff, and about 7 that sell used stuff, all fighting over price, so the customer usually gets a good deal, if they know were to shop.

Recent releases from 2007 are roughly about £6 at the moment, but it all depends on the distribution studio. Some drop the prices pretty quickly whilst others never do.
                        You can pick up the Rocky boxset for about £20, the same for Rambo and Die Hard.
                        There is also a Steven Segal DVD set doing the rounds with about 10 disks, for only £20, but they are only films I can watch as a last resort.
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• Are we having fun with Blu-ray yet?

I see that "The Hitler Channel" will heretofore be known as History.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I am still on DVD and have yet to bother with Blu Ray, hell I doubt I could afford to start another collection!!

There was a documentary on last night showing Germany during WW2 in colour, showing women and children dead by the roadside!!!

I was a little shocked!!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I think Blu-ray will play standard DVD. Neither do I have it yet. I'm waiting for a Blu-ray recorder that is down around $600. That probably won't happen for a couple of years. I bought about the cheapest DVD player in 1997 for $400 and now you can have the same for $19. I still use the 11 year old machine about every week and it still works like new.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I bought my first DVD player about the same time, it cost just short of a thousand pounds but lasted 10 years!! It played everything you threw at it, and my friends called it "The Tank", not because of its size, but because it could take anything!!

The local ASDA sells dvd recorders for about £50 and a player will set you back about £20.
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X