No announcement yet.

Miller's Court after Kelly...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now the public were protesting about the destruction of Mickey's Bomb Shelter and The Gun Public House, right?
    Spitalfields Market is in Tower Hamlets, East London. The Market has been here since the 1600's. There are two original Market buildings left standing: The L...

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	10959428_926855863992122_1702851371039735439_n.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	711931

Comment

Name:	image_19394.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	711952 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19394.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	711952
        then they did this!
        Last edited by Leanne; 06-03-2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Name:	th5EDT1GSQ.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	712051
          Looking from the opposite direction
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Leanne; 06-04-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	th5EDT1GSQ.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	712051
            Looking from the opposite direction
            This is the impression that I got. That the buildings on either side of it were demolished, but the road itself remained in its original state (all be it with the name change.)
            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

• I just found a London Times article 'THE WORST STREET IN LONDON SET FOR 200M POUND REDEVELOPMENT'
              An auction house that backs on to what was known in Victorian times as the “worst street in London” is to be redeveloped to restore a “one-time commercial epicentre” of Britain’s capital to its

Comment

• Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

This is the impression that I got. That the buildings on either side of it were demolished, but the road itself remained in its original state
                It didn't. The original buildings and the road were long gone by the time those colour photos were taken.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• I am so confused.

That last link I gave shows a photo of a fruit auction house that backs onto what was 'The Worst Street in London' (Dorset Street). There are cobble stones in the foreground, as if they were kept as a memorial.

Is the photographer standing outside looking in, or where these cobble stones kept inside a building, that was built right over the top of them?

Comment

• I just found this:

Boris Johnson will have the final say on whether one of London's most historic streets faces demolition. Developers want to build a new office block on the site of the Fruit and Wool Exchange and Dorset Street in Spitalfields, best known as the scene of Jack the Ripper's last murder.

Last updated Sun 20 Jul 2014

Comment

• Boris Johnson will have the final say on whether one of London's most historic streets faces demolition. Developers want to build a new office block on the site of the Fruit and Wool Exchange and Dorset Street in Spitalfields, best known as the scene of Jack the Ripper's last murder.

Comment

• So dorset street still existed!

Comment

• No it didn't, Leanne. As I understand it, there was a private road which was slightly out of alignment with what used to be Dorset St.

Comment

• Prior to redevelopment original Dorset street is marked in red the rest is self explanatory ! An old thread off here
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
                              Hi Trevor and Debs,

My view is that Elizabeth Prater lived directly above Mary Jane Kelly, and that, at some point between 1888 and 1898, room 19 became room 20 and room 20 became room 19. That doesn't sound like a very neat solution, but I find it hard to understand the significance of Elizabeth Prater's evidence in the Mary Jane Kelly case unless she were living very close to room 13. Overhead makes perfect sense - she's an ear-witness, and I think the value of her evidence diminishes rapidly if you suppose that she was living on the other side of the building. I think we know of her specifically because, well, she said that she had heard something, which made her a possible witness to something, and also because she was in such close proximity to the room in which the murder undoubtedly took place as to make her evidence of special importance. There are other factors - I think I remember her saying that she heard noises from the court, which I suspect would have been a more difficult judgement to make from the position of the front of the house - and Stewart Evans laid these out quite clearly in an interesting thread which still exists somewhere on these boards.

Regards,

Mark
                              Thats about the size of it as I see it also Mark. The rooms, and floors were reconfigured often, and re-numbered. Likely based on the tenants needs..single, family, etc...
                              Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Thats about the size of it as I see it also Mark. The rooms, and floors were reconfigured often, and re-numbered. Likely based on the tenants needs..single, family, etc...
                                Despite the possibility of the rooms being re-numbered occasionally, that doesn't alter the fact that Prater explicitly said that she lived at the front room above the shed, and that there was a couple occupying the room directly above Mary Kelly. "m_w_r", who is right on so many things, was wrong on this specific point.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X