Miller's Court after Kelly...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

That has always been a popular critique of this story, it sounds more like a music hall script. Yet, there are several accounts in the press of people actually shouting "murder" when they are alarmed, whether a murder was taking place or not.
    So, it's possible this is just another aspect of the 19th century that we find hard to understand.
    Plus if you knew there was no hope of anyone stopping that fatal knife slash, why would you yell "help"?

Comment

Originally posted by sam flynn View Post
      if they are a "few blocks" from the ten bells, then they're not in the former site of dorset/duval street, as the latter led straight into commercial street, onto which the ten bells faces. They're not in the former site of dorset/duval street anyway, as those are not the buildings flanking the service road outside whites row car park, and the brickwork is clearly very old (the whites row and "dorset street" developments only dated back to the 1960s and 1970s). It looks very much to me like parliament court, which is indeed a "few blocks" from the ten bells, but it could be a similar alleyway elsewhere. Wherever it is, it is not "a few meters from where mary kelly was found", as no such alleyway existed to my knowledge in that immediate area, and i've been there frequently during the past ten years or so.
      Google street view is your friend.
      google this:
      [ATTACH=JSON]n711362[/ATTACH]

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne View Post

google this:
          [ATTACH=JSON]n711362[/ATTACH]
          I can't see anything meaningful there, Leanne. Looks like something you uploaded got mangled.

Edit: I see you've sorted it. Yes, that's Parliament Court; there's a long alleyway that leads from that entrance, and I posted a photo of it a few weeks back. It's a very atmospheric location which retains much authentic Victorian charm, and just the sort of place a tour guide might take his customers.
          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 05-29-2019, 11:53 AM.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	711367

Comment

They were nearly finished building something above and no way would they have told the public what they were building over, because the citizens were already protesting.

Comment

They were nearly finished building something above and no way would they have told the public what they were building over, because the citizens were already protesting.
                They weren't building over the former Dorset Street or Miller's Court, you can rest assured of that.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi.
                  I still maintain, that it is possible that the description ''Oh Murder'' was uttered by Kelly, awakening from a bad dream. exactly as Mrs P stated at the inquest, especially as Lottie [ a Court resident ] informed Journalist Kit Watkins a few years later. She [Kelly] told me she was shook by a dream that she was being murdered. Rather fits that scenario don't you think?
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

They weren't building over the former Dorset Street or Miller's Court, you can rest assured of that.
                    They were building over something. What was it Mr Know-everything?

Comment

They were building over something. What was it Mr Know-everything?
                      I don't know, but it's not the former site of Dorset Street or Miller's Court, which were demolished in 1928 and built over twice or three times since then.

And less of the "Mr Know-everything" tone, please.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I don't know, but it's not the former site of Dorset Street or Miller's Court, which were demolished in 1928 and built over twice or three times since then.

And less of the "Mr Know-everything" tone, please.
                        Completely destroyed was in 1928 was it?:
                        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Completely destroyed was in 1928 was it?:
                            https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheLond...type=3&theater
                            Yes it was. That article refers to the Fruit & Wool Exchange that was built on the site after Miller's Court and the entire northern part of Dorset Street was demolished.
                            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 05-30-2019, 07:28 AM.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Yes it was. That article refers to the Fruit & Wool Exchange that was built on the site after Miller's Court and the entire northern part of Dorset Street was demolished.
                              Indeed, here's a 1929 photograph of the then newly-built Exchange. The site of the demolished (north) Dorset Street, including Miller's Court, is under that lot somewhere:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0082.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	711459

Full article, and more photos, here: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/...-wool-exchange
                              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 05-30-2019, 07:28 AM.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Indeed, here's a 1929 photograph of the then newly-built Exchange. The site of the demolished (north) Dorset Street, including Miller's Court, is under that lot somewhere:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0082.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	711459

Full article, and more photos, here: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/...-wool-exchange
                                Also destroyed at that time was (Little) Paternoster Row. There was a proposal to reinstate it as part of the most recent redevelopment, but that fell on deaf ears. Shame. I would have gladly drunk an overpriced coffee or two there.

Comment

Working...
                                X