Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller's Court after Kelly...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I doubt it too, but it's of no bearing on the matter I was discussing with Leanne. Miller's Court and north Dorset Street as Kelly would have known it were obliterated in the 1920s, as was the rest by the end of the 1960s.
    You were discussing ‘traces’ of Millers Court and Dorset Street. Or rather Leanne was trying to.

    There may have been some: the outline of buildings, the filled-in sawpit, perhaps.

    How large was that, I wonder? A couple of feet square? Or perhaps it took up pretty much the whole of what would become Miller’s Court. We’ll never know - at least not until the current monstrosity is demolished.
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-31-2019, 09:24 AM.

    Comment


    • This video shows just how deep down they had to dig to build that carpark and I am searching for the info I read that said construction workers made a profit out of selling bricks from Millers Court.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGuYHdUyWmk

      Comment


      • Been reading this thread with much interest.Millers court as we all know was a later addition to 26&27 Dorset Street which prior to that was a rear garden area . Millers Rents as it was initially called was constructed by John Miller the then owner of 26&27.As a cheap financial income the court would have been cheaply and crudely constructed and only two stories high the footings would have been very shallow and not so deep!However with the original line of Dorset Street being widened in 1928-1929 it may have been possible some footings-building outlines may have been crudely covered over?Of note when Mitre Square was redeveloped recently the original footings to Mr Taylor’s shop on Mitre Street-Square were discovered!!!! Because no major buildings were constructed above in late 1950s they were crudely covered over!!Sorry if my point is long or boring and obviously is only a comparison.We will never know anyhow if any footings were found during construction of the modern monstrosity that now resides there unfortunately!Millers court was completed in 1851 ?? I would date it earlier but that is the date given!
        cheers cw

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Christian View Post
          Been reading this thread with much interest.Millers court as we all know was a later addition to 26&27 Dorset Street which prior to that was a rear garden area . Millers Rents as it was initially called was constructed by John Miller the then owner of 26&27.As a cheap financial income the court would have been cheaply and crudely constructed and only two stories high the footings would have been very shallow and not so deep!However with the original line of Dorset Street being widened in 1928-1929 it may have been possible some footings-building outlines may have been crudely covered over?Of note when Mitre Square was redeveloped recently the original footings to Mr Taylor’s shop on Mitre Street-Square were discovered!!!! Because no major buildings were constructed above in late 1950s they were crudely covered over!!Sorry if my point is long or boring and obviously is only a comparison.We will never know anyhow if any footings were found during construction of the modern monstrosity that now resides there unfortunately!Millers court was completed in 1851 ?? I would date it earlier but that is the date given!
          cheers cw
          You may find this from the Morning Advertiser of 4th October, 1842 of interest:





          Attached Files

          Comment


          • Originally posted by sam flynn View Post

            yes it was. That article refers to the fruit & wool exchange that was built on the site after miller's court and the entire northern part of dorset street was demolished.
            dorset street:

            Comment


            • Comment



              • Yes. As the caption to that photo says "The former Dorset Street in 2006". The northern part of Dorset Street, including Miller's Court, was demolished in 1928 and the buildings on the left of that photograph were built over it. The car park you see on the right of that photograph was built over the former site of south Dorset Street after it, too, had been demolished in the 1960s. None of the buildings in that photograph, nor the road between them, were around at the time of Mary Kelly, and that Ripper Tour video you found some time back was not filmed there, or anywhere near there, despite what the caption claimed.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Yes. As the caption to that photo says "The former Dorset Street in 2006". The northern part of Dorset Street, including Miller's Court, was demolished in 1928 and the buildings on the left of that photograph were built over it. The car park you see on the right of that photograph was built over the former site of south Dorset Street after it, too, had been demolished in the 1960s. None of the buildings in that photograph, nor the road between them, were around at the time of Mary Kelly, and that Ripper Tour video you found some time back was not filmed there, or anywhere near there, despite what the caption claimed.
                  OK OK, YOU WIN!

                  It was the former Dorset because it had had a name change!
                  Please just point out to me where the entrance to the former Millers Court would have appeared on this photograph taken when they were demolishing the Fruit and Wool Exchange which was built over it in 1929:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1013334_1108777069133333_4674964964648276611_n.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	711864

                  Comment


                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	12654675_1117580108253029_6134670140917230319_n.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	711866

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Leanne View Post

                      OK OK, YOU WIN!

                      It was the former Dorset because it had had a name change!
                      Please just point out to me where the entrance to the former Millers Court would have appeared on this photograph taken when they were demolishing the Fruit and Wool Exchange which was built over it in 1929:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1013334_1108777069133333_4674964964648276611_n.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	711864
                      That photograph wasn't taken in 1929, as there are modern vehicles and road-markings in shot.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                      "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        That photograph wasn't taken in 1929, as there are modern vehicles and road-markings in shot.
                        I KNOW IT WASN'T TAKEN IN 1929!!!!!!!
                        It is of the demolition of the Fruit and Wool Exchange, not the building of it!
                        Where can we imagine Millers Court would have been situated?

                        Comment


                        • The first photo was taken on January 29th, 2016 when they were digging down, (just before they blocked public view and access);
                          and the bottom one was taken on January 14th, 2016 before that.
                          Last edited by Leanne; 06-02-2019, 02:32 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Leanne View Post

                            I KNOW IT WASN'T TAKEN IN 1929!!!!!!! Where can we imagine Millers Court would have been situated?
                            Sorry, Leanne. I misread your post.

                            Unfortunately, the photograph cuts out 99% of the Whites Row Car Park, which would have made it easier to place, but very roughly speaking, 13 Miller's Court would have been somewhere in the green square I've drawn below:

                            Click image for larger version  Name:	2016 Demolition.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	711895

                            As I say, this is very approximate, so I hope others will understand that. I don't think much can be gained from trying to precisely pinpoint Miller's Court in amongst that second- or third-generation rubble.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                            "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                            Comment


                            • You two married?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by APerno View Post
                                You two married?
                                Because of the communication breakdown? HA HA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X