X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faith

I would say believing in stirde as a ripper victim relys on a bit of faith
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I think Corey was right in not putting an 'I don't know' or 'I'm not sure' option. It forces people to think. I think the evidence then as now strongly points to the likelihood of Liz Stride as a Ripper victim. However, there are other possibilities.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

1000s

there are numerous possibilitys. Your right it does make people think(if more had actually voted)

yours truly
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack
          Tom's great problem here is that he has long protected and protracted issues on this subject, the poor old chap would simply die if it turned out that Liz Stride was not a victim of the Whitechapel Murderer, for then all his work on Le Grand would come to nought, for it is vital for him to show a connection, as limp and flaccid as it be, between the murder of Stride and the single involvement of Le Grand to the series of murders.
          He is working to a careful agenda where everything must fit his carefully organised premise that Le Grand murdered Liz Stride, and was hence the Whitechapel Murderer. Everything he says is subject to this premise.
          It is but worm in bud.
          Not at all. From day one I've investigated Le Grand as the murderer of Stride, and only peripherally as a possible Ripper. The fact that other researchers have more recently unearthed information that shows Le Grand to have been suspected of Scotland Yard as the Ripper only vindicates my suspicions, but it proves nothing, and I'm the first to admit that.

As for Stride's neck wound, it was very rare then and now for someone to cut across the carotid artery. This is why Phillips felt that her killer knew how to cut a throat, as in the previous murders. The depth will be relative to the circumstance. But Stride was killed within one mile and 45 minutes of a Eddowes. You must have a lot of faith in coincidence to write her off as a Ripper victim.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

'I have myself little doubt that Le Grand was a sexual maniac of a virulent type.'

What on earth makes you say that, David, about a man like Le Grand who was a career criminal with not a sexual offence against his long and distinguished criminal record?

Comment

Hi Corey,

Do you subscribe to Ripperologist?

Sam,

Good to see you around! I was wondering where you'd gone off to. I printed off your old essay on Eddowes and plan to give it another, closer read through soon.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Corey,
                the simple truth is that people wanted Kidney to be the killer. Time passed on, and Kidney is still as much innocent as he was in 1888.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

Tom,

No I dont but Im thinking about subscribing,
                  do you know the subscription cost, in american money?

yours truly
                  Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

Off the top of my head I don't, but it's cheap. Like 5 bucks an issue.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi All,

I vote yes.

Best Regards,
                      Ditlew
                      My Personal JTR Map

Comment

interesting

I might buy some issues.
                        Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I think you can get some free off their site.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

400 views and under 20 votes.
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

really

How???
                              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

They're downloadable. As to the poll, don't fret. Not a ton of people posting today.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X