From Hell Letter DECODED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note to Rookie Detective:

Theres such a thing as overdoing the big build up you know.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

The Lusk character in the Michael Caine series was certainly a nasty piece of work. I wouldn’t put anything past him.
      Although he did have Arthur’s back and assisted in saving the world from Colin Wilson’s Space Vampires…

Comment

• Originally posted by phantom View Post

Although he did have Arthur’s back and assisted in saving the world from Colin Wilson’s Space Vampires…
        Some people just see the best in everyone.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Lusk, I have read, was supposed have been a mr nice guy. He didn't have it easy as his wife died rather young and left him to bring up a young family. Lusk had two sons who would have been of "Ripper" age. Could it have been possible, that they were quite cheesed of with Lusk being involved in other things, that he forgot the family, so the family decided to take a little bit of revenge/ pull a school boy prank, hence the letter to try to get Lusk to take a step back?

Comment

• Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post
            Lusk, I have read, was supposed have been a mr nice guy. He didn't have it easy as his wife died rather young and left him to bring up a young family. Lusk had two sons who would have been of "Ripper" age. Could it have been possible, that they were quite cheesed of with Lusk being involved in other things, that he forgot the family, so the family decided to take a little bit of revenge/ pull a school boy prank, hence the letter to try to get Lusk to take a step back?
            I'd suggest that the letter (never mind the kidney) was a little too elaborate for that. Besides, I doubt that Lusk would have been so involved in Vigilance Committee activities that he'd have cheesed off his family - it's not as if the Vigilance Committee was a 24/7 operation, and it hadn't been in existence for very long in the scheme of things. Added to this, the fact that "From Hell" was sent only after Lusk's name and address had appeared in various newspapers (and posters) suggests that it was the work of an outsider.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• I'll go with that Sam. I was looking for a new un-explored avenue. cheers.

Comment

• Is there any evidence of the Vigilance Committee helping to uncover criminal activity in Whitechapel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  Is there any evidence of the Vigilance Committee helping to uncover criminal activity in Whitechapel?
                  Good question Harry. Has anyone done research on the committee? I find it hard to believe that no one has tried this but I haven’t a clue how much information survives on their activities? Are there any surviving minutes of their meetings for eg? I’ve read the book nominating Bachert but I’ve been to bed since then so I can’t recall any details.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Is there any evidence of the Vigilance Committee helping to uncover criminal activity in Whitechapel?
                    Which one?
                    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

I just had a crazy thought. What if lusk was the ripper? Has anyone posited that doozy before? Lol
                      If so, why would he...or claim to have the sample in his drawer for 2 days?
                      Michael Richards

Comment

Were they a committee against crime in general? I'd always thought that they were specifically trying to stop the Ripper murders.
                        - Ginger

Comment

• Sorry to be boring but I have to ask again...

Where is Rookie Detective and his decoding of the From Hell letter? It’s been over three weeks.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post

Were they a committee against crime in general? I'd always thought that they were specifically trying to stop the Ripper murders.
                            They were set up to catch the Ripper but I'm thinking they may have inadvertently rumbled other criminal activity during their patrols. It would give someone else motive to intimidate Lusk.

Comment

• My apologies for my rather long absence from this particular thread; i have an issue with my data and have been eagerly trying to resolve this problem BEFORE submitting my findings. To date, i have been unsuccessful in corroborating 1 particular key fact which is negating my other findings quite considerably. As things stand it would be inappropriate for me to speculate on something which i am keen to seek evidence for.

I'll be back

Regards

TRD
                              "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

They were set up to catch the Ripper but I'm thinking they may have inadvertently rumbled other criminal activity during their patrols. It would give someone else motive to intimidate Lusk.
                                It's perhaps unfair of me, but I'd been rather under the impression that while Lusk himself may have been entirely respectable, a lot of the support for the Committee came from the local petty criminals, whose businesses (gambling, whoring, and prize fighting) were being damaged by the fear that people felt in going to the East End because of the Ripper. I may be entirely wrong in that, though.
                                - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                                X