Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Jeff

The two men in bed were Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise. But there was an almost as popular duo called The Two Ronnies (Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett) and maybe they did the sketch about the drunk politician.

Here's one of their best sketches :

Comment

• Jeff, that reminds me of Roosevelt's 'Arsenal of Democracy' speech (though Roosevelt was of course sober) :

"They ask us for the implements of war, the planes, the tanks, the guns, the freighters which will enable them to fight for their liberty and for our security. Emphatically we must get these weapons to them, get them to them in sufficient volume and quickly enough, so that we and our children will be saved the agony and suffering of war which others have had to endure."

As I recall he said "and for our security" and I've always wondered whether 'emphatically' was Roosevelt inadvertently reading out a speech direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Jeff, that reminds me of Roosevelt's 'Arsenal of Democracy' speech (though Roosevelt was of course sober) :

"They ask us for the implements of war, the planes, the tanks, the guns, the freighters which will enable them to fight for their liberty and for our security. Emphatically we must get these weapons to them, get them to them in sufficient volume and quickly enough, so that we and our children will be saved the agony and suffering of war which others have had to endure."

As I recall he said "and for our security" and I've always wondered whether 'emphatically' was Roosevelt inadvertently reading out a speech direction.
        Hi Robert,

You are right - it could have been FDR misreading some comment he gave as a direction to himself on how to make a speech get it's message through.

It reminds me of how politicians (especially Presidents) can make errors at all times. Three in particular cross my mind:

1) Nixon in a policy speech made a gaffe saying something like "We must be foo..." then corrected it to something like "err FULLY..."

2) Carter, in what I feel was one of the saddest moments of his re-election campaign in 1980 (which he lost) had just been nominated by a clearly less than enthusiastic Democratic convention (had the Ted Kennedy candidacy group been more active and better organized, Kennedy might have been nominated). It was three in the morning and Carter decided to make his acceptance speech at that time - probably as he felt few people would be watching. He was right, the applause of this incumbent President who just got re- nominated was so really fitful and even hostile it was sad). Ted Kennedy was asked to come up to the podium to show unity. He came up and the applause was louder - and Kennedy proceeded to ignore Carter. Carter started a speech in which he mentioned all the great Democratic Presidents and candidates of the 20th Century going back to Wilson, and made a blunder which he corrected poorly, when he first mentioned, JFK, than LBJ, and then "that great American statesman and liberal, Hubert Horatio Hornblower...HUMPHREYS!!" As I listened I wondered how a fictional British naval hero had momentarily gotten permission of the U. S. Constitution to wave our provision for our candidates to be born in the U.S.A. or on it's territories (there is, however, no provision for the candidates to be real).

3) Same campaign, but now it was Reagan who did something bizarre. He and Carter had their second debate, and he had to sum up what he'd been saying. Reagan began talking about a journey he made recently through California and the southwest, and was trying to expand on what he saw - and for some reason he mentioned shedding a tear over the grave of Billy the Kid! To this day I can't recall any other U.S. President ever admitting he was upset about the death of a murderer. To add to the unreality of that moment, Reagan never reached the logical climax of his final remarks before his time ran out.

I may add that JFK's last great speech, in Berlin in 1963, has gained some posthumous notoriety for a mistake in his German. The speech was to end at each pause with the German phrase "Ich bin ein Berliner!" Unfortunately, although at the time the Germans were cheering the President madly for this lovely show of solidarity with them, it turned out that the word he used for a citizen of Berlin was incorrect. He used the German word for "doughnut". There are cartoons I have seen showing that phrase beneath a smiling donut. Still at the time it was really well received (and usually is considered a good speech).

By the way, you are right - it was the two Ronnies I was confusing Morecampe and Wise with.

Jeff
        Last edited by Mayerling; 01-29-2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Hi Jeff

Thanks for those very funny examples. I found an edited version of the Carter speech. Weirdly, the audience cheered Hornblower. Still at least Carter didn't mention Senator Edgar Kennedy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Hi Jeff

Thanks for those very funny examples. I found an edited version of the Carter speech. Weirdly, the audience cheered Hornblower. Still at least Carter didn't mention Senator Edgar Kennedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dTJTD01n4
            Imagine if he had, and Senator Kennedy did one of Edgar's patented slow burns (complete with rubbing his face with his hand).

There is a local faux pas from the late 1990s which was amusing at the time if you caught it, though background was tragic.

Abner Louima was an African born immigrant to this country who was shot and killed by a New York City police officer who when he found Louima in an odd location had ordered him to not move - for some unknown reason (possibly to produce his identification to the police officer - Louima moved, and got shot fatally. This was in 1998, and (quite naturally) was as bad as the recent events in Staten Island when an African-American with health issues was put into a choke hold by some police officers and died. The racial issue and police actions were quite hot in both events.

There was a local news interview with two African-American political figures from our area: former Mayor of New York City, David Dinkins, and Harlem Congressman Charlie Rangel. The discussion was actually a serious one, due to the issues in the wake of the Louima tragedy. Rangel was speaking and while making a point about keeping cool in the midst of the controversy he happened to say something to the effect, "we can't let what happened to Abner Lewinsky cause rioting." As he said this, Rangel apparently did not notice his error - but Dinkins did. This was the same time that national and international attention was on the impeachment matter of President Bill Clinton and his affair with Monica Lewinsky. Rangel had confused the two names. Dinkins' eyes just bugged out when heard Rangel's error. If the interviewer heard it as well he did not say anything, and Rangel (if he realized what he did) did not show any sign of confusion or realization of his error.

There was also another incident in Carter's term (but this was not totally his fault). He was on a visit to Poland, and was well received by the citizens (this was when Lech Walesa was heading the "Solidarity" Movement that finally broke the last days of the Communist government there). He was saying goodbye, and there was a translation error. Carter apparently said something politely nice but banal like, "You have a lovely country, and I hope to see it again sometime soon." The translator, who was talking to the crowds, said "You have a lovely country, and I hope to live her sometime soon." Carter waved to the crowd and his plane took off, leaving hundreds of Poles wondering why the President of the United States wanted to become a resident of Poland.

One of the funniest, ill-timed comments made by a public man was by Dr. Henry Kissinger. Kissinger was one of the speakers at the funeral (in 1982) of former Vice President, and long time Governor of New York State, Nelson Rockefeller. Rockefeller had died of a sudden heart attack, and his ornate, preplanned funeral was being held in upper Manhattan in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. Kissinger, who was a close friend of "Rocky', made the comment, "I only wish that when I die I go like him." He meant quickly and fairly painlessly by a sudden heart attack. Unfortunately for "Dr. K." it soon came out that "Rocky" (who was visiting a female assistant in an art collection program he was arranging) had been in bed copulating when he had the attack. Nice bit of unexpected news timing.

Rockefeller was in the middle of a serious gaffe himself once, while he was Vice President. He and the Speaker of the House, Carl Alpert, were listening to a speech by Senator Edward Brooke of Massachusetts. Brooke at this time (1976) was the only African-American in the U.S. Senate. "Rocky" and Mr. Alpert started a side conversation, and gradually began poking fun at Brooke in a racist manner. They also laughed a bit while making their nasty jokes. Unfortunately when they did they did not realize the microphone near them was on, and picking up their remarks. Brooke noticed it, as did the other 99 Senators and the guests in the gallery. "Rocky" became Vice President when Gerry Ford succeeded Nixon, and he was elected (due to a Constitutional amendment) to the spot by the U.S. Senate - not by the country's population. In 1976 he was dropped by Ford from the ticket running that year against Carter and Mondale (Ford chose Senator Robert Dole). As for Alpert, he retired at the end of his term.

One last one before I stop this: Reagan had a famous error that was overheard that was similar in it's way to Rocky's mistake regarding Brooke.
            Just before he gave a public address, Reagan decided to test the microphone in front of him. He tapped it, and said, "This is the President of the United States, and I have just ordered the closing down of the Soviet Union!" Nice piece of wishful thinking (this was in 1983, and the glastnost period had a few years to appear first). While the incident did not get onto national television (the cameras were not moving yet), too many people heard the stupid comment - so it got out. The Russians (I think Andropov was in office at the time) were not amused. Americans were - Johnny Carson was still the host (in my opinion the greatest host) of "The Tonight Show", and shortly afterwards he had a monologue in which he referred to those great radio comedians of the past. He then listed, Jack Benny, Fibber McGee and Molly, Bob Hope, Fred Allen, and Ronald Reagan.

Jeff

Comment

• My 16 year old just became a fan of Vincent Price, thanks to his wonderfully creepy work on Alice Cooper's 'Welcome To My Nightmare' album.

This clip is adorable. "Little boy!"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

What's almost as scary-cute is my offspring loving all the same stuff I do, but discovering much of it for herself. Spooky is in the genes, I tell ya.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                My 16 year old just became a fan of Vincent Price, thanks to his wonderfully creepy work on Alice Cooper's 'Welcome To My Nightmare' album.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

What's almost as scary-cute is my offspring loving all the same stuff I do, but discovering much of it for herself. Spooky is in the genes, I tell ya.
                Oh The Black Widow!!!!!! I am so THRILLED to hear someone mention his voice over on Welcome To My Nightmare...most people seem to think Thriller was the only voice over he did on a pop album.... Nightmare was much cooler than Thriller (in my opnion anyway).. did you ever see the made for TV Alice Coopers The Nightmare starring Alice and Vincent? pretty low budget and cheesy but fun in a nostalgic sorta way......

Steadmund Brand
                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

My 16 year old just became a fan of Vincent Price, thanks to his wonderfully creepy work on Alice Cooper's 'Welcome To My Nightmare' album.

I loooooooooove when the kids discover acts I've been a fan of for years, but every now and then they find something I used to love but had forgotten about and that is special.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    Oh The Black Widow!!!!!! I am so THRILLED to hear someone mention his voice over on Welcome To My Nightmare...most people seem to think Thriller was the only voice over he did on a pop album.... Nightmare was much cooler than Thriller (in my opnion anyway).. did you ever see the made for TV Alice Coopers The Nightmare starring Alice and Vincent? pretty low budget and cheesy but fun in a nostalgic sorta way......

Steadmund Brand
                    I had it in my head that the clip I posted was from that very show. I might be wrong though!

Alice was always a bit 'pantomime for adults' to me, and I loved every moment. No wonder he and Vincent got along so well.

Vincent always struck me as someone who'd just be the nicest person in the world, in person. Though Dr. Phibes kind of creeped me out, as a very small kiddie.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      I loooooooooove when the kids discover acts I've been a fan of for years, but every now and then they find something I used to love but had forgotten about and that is special.
                      I was scowled at for a whole week, after telling her I had seen Nirvana live, hehehe. Right now, she's all about Hendrix, Joplin and Zeppelin, for most of which I was not yet here either.

I have not seen The Whales of August! And it's got Lilian Gish in it! Bette & Vincent, on screen together! This will never do.

Comment

I had it in my head that the clip I posted was from that very show. I might be wrong though!

Alice was always a bit 'pantomime for adults' to me, and I loved every moment. No wonder he and Vincent got along so well.

Vincent always struck me as someone who'd just be the nicest person in the world, in person. Though Dr. Phibes kind of creeped me out, as a very small kiddie.
                        Alice is such a nice guy too, met him when I was managing a hotel years ago, doesn't drnk, doesn't smoke, is totally anti drugs [now anyway] and in spite of her filng for divorce when he was at his lowest ebb has been with his dear lady, Cheryl, for about 4o years.

Meybe he and price got on so well because they share a first name.

Ohhhh didn't you know Prce's real name is Alice
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hi Jeff

Poor Rockefeller didn't know if he was coming or going.

All, Hendrix was a victim of at least two misunderstandings. There was the line in the song 'Purple Haze' : " 'scuse me while I kiss the sky" which many misheard as " 'scuse me while I kiss this guy." And when his album 'Electric Ladyland' had its first pressings and a copy was given to Hendrix, the title on the label was 'Electric Landlady.'

Comment

I was scowled at for a whole week, after telling her I had seen Nirvana live, hehehe. Right now, she's all about Hendrix, Joplin and Zeppelin, for most of which I was not yet here either.

I have not seen The Whales of August! And it's got Lilian Gish in it! Bette & Vincent, on screen together! This will never do.
                            Don't you love kids.

Mine are a bit [or maybe a lot] older than yours but I went through the same stuff. I remember back in the 90's when Cher had a hit with the Shoop-shoop song, my wife and her friend were singing along to it on the radio [they would have both been mid 30s I guess] and the friends daughter was agast that the two "oldies" knew the words, of course they both knew it from the Betty Evert version.
                            G U T

Comment

• Haha! Landlady! Imagine what that copy would sell for, these days.

GUT, you're a dag. I love Alice's mum, up front of his all shows cheering for him despite the bloodspatter. There's a wonderful video of a panel he did with James Randi, very worth watching, here's a link (skip through the incredibly annoying MC's bits, trust me):

In this panel from Dragon*Con 2012, James Randi and Alice Cooper reminisce about Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies" tour, for which Randi designed stage illusi...

"I would definitely be the Basil Rathbone of rock and roll" -- lmao

Also, I am now obliged to glare at you for a week, for meeting Alice.

Where's all the actress lists? Has there been a Gish one?
                              Last edited by Ausgirl; 01-29-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Also, I am now obliged to glare at you for a week, for meeting Alice.
                                I met a lot of famous people in that job,

Mussos
                                Actors
                                Sportspeople
                                Authors
                                Politicians

A jam session early one morning with Trevor White, Jon English, Doug Parkinson, Brian Cadd and yours truly is one I will never forget.

Or the night a professional wrestler was sick of people staring at him in the restaurant and ordered one of every dish on the menu and washed it all down with a dozen bottles of red two dozen tinnies and a bottle of Johnny Walker.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X