Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• business pursuits

Hello Jeff, Steadmund. My understanding is that Gummo eventually went to work for the Wrigley company and Zeppo to some lighter fluid company or other.

Any truth to this? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Before leaving this subject I should add that there was a BBC series about Hollywood's history in the period from 1905-1930 in like ten episodes that James Mason narrated which was excellent in discussing many leading figures who rose (and frequently fell) in public esteem.
      -Jeff Bloomfield-

Buddy, there were 13 episodes....here's a link to where the 12 of them may be found :
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jamon2112/videos
      Happy Holidays, Jeff.

Hollywood

Narrated by James Mason
      Written & Directed By Gill & Brownlow
      Last edited by Howard Brown; 12-25-2014, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Jeff, Steadmund. My understanding is that Gummo eventually went to work for the Wrigley company and Zeppo to some lighter fluid company or other.

Cheers.
        LC
        Hi LC

Gummo (whose name was based on the "gum Arabic" soled shoes he wore on stage when all five brothers were in their act, left early and just became a businessman (not with Wrigley, Bazooka Joe, Adams, etc - hahaha). Zeppo had a curious problem. He only once demonstrated his real abilities as a member of the group on stage - he was Groucho's understudy on Broadway, and when Groucho was ordered (due to his nerves) to take a month off, the part was filled by Zeppo. At the end of the month Groucho was ready to resume, and found that management told him to take some more time off. Curious, he secretly went to see the show (The Cocoanuts) and discovered the audience in stitches - they loved Zeppo. Groucho came back the next day.

It seems he wasn't missed because Zeppo's sense of real humor was as witty and caustic as Groucho's. This resulted in what many viewers of the brothers (to this day) still say - that Zeppo was always the most boring of the brothers. It wasn't fair. For him to have been given equal time as Harpo and Chico were, he'd have been in competition for the type that Groucho played. You could not have had two Grouchos. Zeppo was treated as Groucho's adjunct (his secretary) and was given romantic parts (most notably in Monkey Business). After Duck Soup he had it. Zeppo decided to become an agent, and he negotiated the wonderful deal (giving them a percentage of the gross, not the net profits) that the brothers had when they signed on with MGM for A Night At the Opera and A Day At the Races.
        He proved to be a very successful agent. Zeppo's name, by the way, was based on the fascination of the public with zeppelins from the time of his birth (about 1901 I think) until their films with Paramount ended (1933).

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          Before leaving this subject I should add that there was a BBC series about Hollywood's history in the period from 1905-1930 in like ten episodes that James Mason narrated which was excellent in discussing many leading figures who rose (and frequently fell) in public esteem.
          -Jeff Bloomfield-

Buddy, there were 13 episodes....here's a link to where the 12 of them may be found :
          https://www.youtube.com/user/jamon2112/videos
          Happy Holidays, Jeff.

Hollywood

Narrated by James Mason
          Written & Directed By Gill & Brownlow
          Merry Christmas Howard,

Thanks for the correction and that link.

Come on back - we haven't gotten into films about the American Civil War which I have been thinking of listing.

Jeff

Comment

Cheers.
            LC
            G'day Lynn

I know that this is saying a lot BUT:

That may well be your worst ever. haa-haa
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• It is indeed saying a lot Geoff...

Comment

• Karl

Hello Jeff. Thanks for this information on the "forgotten" brothers.

Of course, Karl was the most overlooked of all. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• worse

Hello GUT. Thanks.

Ah! but it gets worse. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hello GUT. Thanks.

Ah! but it gets worse. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Is that possible????
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hello Jeff. Thanks for this information on the "forgotten" brothers.

Of course, Karl was the most overlooked of all. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                      LC
                      It's hard to think that Karl's theoretical monkey business on economics would possibly be threatening the democracy of Fredonia in the post 1945 Eastern European world.

Jeff

Comment

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Wow...those are BAD jokes... I love them!!!!!

Steadmund Brand--
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• By the way Gummo (Milton) Marx left the act back in the vaudeville days, joined the Army, became a Colonel and retired from the army in the early 1950's, then he went to work with Zeppo as an agent, after that he represented Groucho in his late solo career and he developed the television version of " The Life of Riley"

Zeppo (Herbert) Marx was an interesting character, not only was he part of the team for their best films (the Paramount films).. he became the agent (with Gummo) for their biggest contract (the first MGM deal) and he became VERY rich outside of showbiz as an engineer and inventor (he invented the wristwatch that monitors your pulse rate.. seriously he did) and he was married to Barbara Blakeley.. who after divorcing Zeppo became the wife of Frank Sinatra....He was also the last surviving Marx Brother.

Steadmund Brand
                          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Master the possibilities.

Hello GUT. Thanks.

Quite possible. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Once 'pun a time.

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

Actually, I have been Lenin toward that point of view myself. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

Actually, I have been Lenin toward that point of view myself. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                                LC
                                I think that you're just Stalin for time.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X