Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't seen probably the best movie I ever saw mentioned,

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

But I was at an impressionable age when it came out.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I haven't seen probably the best movie I ever saw mentioned,

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

But I was at an impressionable age when it came out.
      G'day GUT,

You know, I'm aware of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", and saw part of it at one time, but I never have sat through the whole film. There are many films like that (another is "Network") that I know of, but haven't fully experienced.

Hi Steadmund,

Well, yeah, there is something totally artificial about the Roberts - Gere relationship in "Pretty Woman", but the film is well made as escapist fare, and there are hints (when Roberts and her whore friend are talking of other whores and pimps) of what the reality (drugs, injuries, deaths) can be. Also, Jason Alexander's treatment of Roberts shows what the other side of dealing with John's can be. Still, if you wish to show a realistic view of the seedy light of prostitution, try "Klute". Or (sticking a bit to this web site", the 1944 "The Lodger".

"Gone With the Wind" is fine, except in showing the relations of slaves and their masters. There is a better film about the position of African-Americans in the 1850s - 1860s that starred Gable and Ava Gardner and Sidney Poitier, "Band of Angels". I like it because there is a sequence toward the end when Poitier, now a Union soldier, has to deal with William Schallert as his slimy, anti-Black commanding officer, who wants to have the credit for Gable's capture that is rightfully Poitier's (and Poitier effectively "lets Schallert have it"). It was a nice reminder that the bigotry was pervasive in both North and South at the time.

Jeff

Comment

• I was watching M the other night, First time I watched the film in years.. I forgot how great a film it was and how amazing Peter Lorre was in it.. made me want to put together a list of great Peter Lorre performances, hope you like it and add to it or comment on it...

Let’s stay with order of release

1- M- 1931-
        2- The Man Who Knew Too Much- 1934
        3- Mad Love- 1935- ( Oh so camp yet creepy)
        4- Think Fast, Mr. Moto- 1937 ( Guilty pleasure I admit)
        5- The next several Mr. Moto films… all made between 1937-1940 I think there are like 9 or so films total… none great.. but all fun (well Mysterious Mr. Moto may be great!!)
        6- You’ll Find Out- 1940- not a good film at all!!! But it has, Lorre, Karloff and Lugosi (this is never mentioned as one of the Karloff/Lugosi films.. but in a way it is)
        7- Stranger on The Third Floor- 1940- Now this is a forgotten classic…nobody I know remembers this film and it never seems to play on any of the classic film channels but great early Film Noir.. if do yourself a favor.. if you ever get a chance to see it.. watch it
        8- The Maltese Falcon- 1941- Outside of M this may be the quintessential Lorre performance (or our next film!!)
        9- Casablanca – 1942- what more can we say about this masterpiece
        10- The Mask of Dimitrios- 1944- What can I say.. I am a sucker for Noir’
        11- Arsenic and Old Lace- 1944- I only wish I could have seen it on stage with Karloff as Johnny!!
        12- The Verdict- 1946 I know Greenstreet and Lorre again.. but a fun film
        13- The Beast With Five Fingers- 1946- Horror? Maybe but fun never the less
        14- Beat the Devil- 1953- Fun little film.. if one can call a John Huston film little
        15- The Story of Mankind- 1957- Ok actually this is NOT a good film.. but it’s fun (sorta) and historic as being the last film to have the Three Marx Brothers in it (Chico, Groucho and Harpo.. sadly not together but still) and plus Lorre and Vincent Price and even a young Dennis Hopper as Napoleon.. plus a ton of other great cameos but trust me…it’s really not as good as it sounds!!!!
        16- Tales of Terror- 1962- oh I’m glad he got to make these last few films.. they were fun and he seems to be having a blast
        17- The Raven- 1963- Lorre is absolutely hysterical in this film.. as is everyone else.. but Peter Lorre in the ½ bird costume is priceless!!
        18- The Comedy of Terrors- 1964- he was looking pretty bad by this point, and did die soon after.. too bad this wasn’t his last film

Plus I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that he also did some great early television and some fantastic radio work as well…..

Hope this gets some conversation going 

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Peter Lorre Films

1) M
          2) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
          3) The Secret Agent
          4) Mad Love
          5) Any of the Mr. Moto films
          6) The Maltese Falcon
          7) Casablanca (though a brief role)
          8) The Face Behind the Mask
          9) You'll Find Out
          10) Arsenic and Old Lace
          11) My Favorite Blond
          12) Stranger on the Third Floor
          13) The Mask of Dimitrios
          14) Three Strangers
          15) The Verdict
          16) The Beast With Five Fingers
          17) Beat the Devil
          18) Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
          19) Around the World in 80 Days (nice little comic moment)
          20) Tales of Terror
          21) The Raven
          22) The Comedy of Terrors

Jeff

Comment

• "Please clasp your hands together at the back of your neck..." It's funny how popular Casablanca is...it's ok but doesn't stand up to Dark Passage. Even if the ending of Dark Passage is silly , it's first half makes I the greatest film of the 40s by a long shot.

Invisible Stripes & Bullets or Ballots are great roles with bogart as a gangster.
            Last edited by RockySullivan; 02-19-2015, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
              "Please clasp your hands together at the back of your neck..." It's funny how popular Casablanca is...it's ok but doesn't stand up to Dark Passage. Even if the ending of Dark Passage is silly , it's first half makes I the greatest film of the 40s by a long shot.

Invisible Stripes & Bullets or Ballots are great roles with bogart as a gangster.
              Dark Passage is a great film to be sure.. one of the best of the era.. I still prefer Casablanca just based on the amount of amazing performances in it... everyone is superb.. and as I said.. one of the few " romance" films where I want to be like the male lead, instead of wanting to smack him around

Steadmund Brand

P.S Maybe we should do a Bogart list.. anyone wanna start one or should I?
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                Dark Passage is a great film to be sure.. one of the best of the era.. I still prefer Casablanca just based on the amount of amazing performances in it... everyone is superb.. and as I said.. one of the few " romance" films where I want to be like the male lead, instead of wanting to smack him around

Steadmund Brand

P.S Maybe we should do a Bogart list.. anyone wanna start one or should I?
                Bogart is great but compared to Cagney.....
                Angels w Dirty
                San quentin
                High sierra
                Roaring Twenties
                Kid Galahad
                King of the Underworld
                Brother Orchid

Some of the good earlier bogies many I'm forgetting

Comment

• Bogart List

[QUOTE=Steadmund Brand;330988]Dark Passage is a great film to be sure.. one of the best of the era.. I still prefer Casablanca just based on the amount of amazing performances in it... everyone is superb.. and as I said.. one of the few " romance" films where I want to be like the male lead, instead of wanting to smack him around

Steadmund Brand

P.S Maybe we should do a Bogart list.. anyone wanna start one or should I?[/QUOTE

The Petrified Forrest
                  Dead End
                  Black Legion
                  The Roaring Twenties
                  Angels With Dirty Faces
                  Kid Gallahad
                  Virginia City (because it is Bogart's only film with Flynn and Randolph Scott)
                  Dark Victory
                  Marked Women
                  They Drive By Night
                  The Wagons Go By Night
                  High Sierra
                  Maltese Falcon
                  Across the Pacific
                  Casablanca
                  Sahara
                  All Through the Night
                  Conflict
                  To Have and to Hold
                  The Big Sleep (both versions - they reshot it, but both are interesting)
                  Dead Reckoning
                  The Two Miss Carolls (only because it's his only film with Stanwyck)
                  Key Largo
                  Murder Inc.
                  Deadline, USA
                  Knock on Any Door
                  The African Queen
                  The Barefoot Contessa
                  Sabrina
                  The Desperate Hours
                  The Caine Mutiny
                  Beat the Devil (a rare Bogart comedy - although I find it a trial)
                  We're No Angel
                  The Harder They Fall
                  There are two films I can't recall the names of:

1) He was in an early film with Spencer Tracy, and it was there only film together.
                  2) Recently Lisbeth Scott died - she made a film with Bogart (a film noir) and I can't recall the name.

There was also a television version of "The Petrified Forest" with Lauren Bacall and Henry Fonda. The video survived, but they don't have the sound track!

Comment

• I believe the film you are thinking of is Dead Reckoning.. not a great film... was fun.. and Wallace Ford was good in it...

so glad you have The Barefoot Contessa on your list... where it may be a bit over the top melodramatic... it may be one of the "Prettiest" looking films I have ever seen... I don't know what it is about that film.. but the whole look of it is jaw dropping for me..

Harder They Fall was so damn good... and sadly his last film.. he was pretty sick while making it and yet was still great...

Hello there Rocky... I do love Cagney as well.. Just think Boggie had more great films... but hey why not put together a Cagney list as well.. that is what this thread is for... plus it gives others ideas on great films to check out if they haven’t seen them... for instance... I have never seen the film "Knock on Any Door" but now that Mayerling put it on the Bogart list I am going to search it out thanks Mayerling!!!

Steadmund Brand

Comment

• Good list Mayer. I'd add The Enforcer and oklahoma kid (hehe) can't recommend invisible stripes enough. Dr Clitterhouse.

Stead, Cagney is the greatest. Cinema really started to go downhill in 1933, 1934. The only real true talking pictures were made before the Hayes code. little Caesar, Public Enemy & Scarface. Those are the ones that really count. There are some gems from Cagney like Blonde Crazy, lady Killer, winner take All, crowd Roars, here comes the Navy, Hard to Handle, Mayor of Hell, each Dawn I die, g men & taxi. Bogie took way more roles than cagney but he hardly lights up the screen. He probably learned how to be a star from doing do many films w a cagney & EGR. Bogarts great but he's also depressing. Cagney has an inner light.

PS everyone always holds the mediocre films in the highest regard. If you think White Heat is the best Cagney flick, you haven't seen the precode ones.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mayerling;330996]
                        Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

Steadmund Brand

P.S Maybe we should do a Bogart list.. anyone wanna start one or should I?[/QUOTE

The Petrified Forrest
                        Dead End
                        Black Legion
                        The Roaring Twenties
                        Angels With Dirty Faces
                        Kid Gallahad
                        Virginia City (because it is Bogart's only film with Flynn and Randolph Scott)
                        Dark Victory
                        Marked Women
                        They Drive By Night
                        The Wagons Go By Night
                        High Sierra
                        Maltese Falcon
                        Across the Pacific
                        Casablanca
                        Sahara
                        All Through the Night
                        Conflict
                        To Have and to Hold
                        The Big Sleep (both versions - they reshot it, but both are interesting)
                        Dead Reckoning
                        The Two Miss Carolls (only because it's his only film with Stanwyck)
                        Key Largo
                        Murder Inc.
                        Deadline, USA
                        Knock on Any Door
                        The African Queen
                        The Barefoot Contessa
                        Sabrina
                        The Desperate Hours
                        The Caine Mutiny
                        Beat the Devil (a rare Bogart comedy - although I find it a trial)
                        We're No Angel
                        The Harder They Fall
                        There are two films I can't recall the names of:

1) He was in an early film with Spencer Tracy, and it was there only film together.
                        2) Recently Lisbeth Scott died - she made a film with Bogart (a film noir) and I can't recall the name.

There was also a television version of "The Petrified Forest" with Lauren Bacall and Henry Fonda. The video survived, but they don't have the sound track!
                        I believe your thinking of "up the river" from 1930 w Tracy

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                          I believe the film you are thinking of is Dead Reckoning.. not a great film... was fun.. and Wallace Ford was good in it...

so glad you have The Barefoot Contessa on your list... where it may be a bit over the top melodramatic... it may be one of the "Prettiest" looking films I have ever seen... I don't know what it is about that film.. but the whole look of it is jaw dropping for me..

Harder They Fall was so damn good... and sadly his last film.. he was pretty sick while making it and yet was still great...

Hello there Rocky... I do love Cagney as well.. Just think Boggie had more great films... but hey why not put together a Cagney list as well.. that is what this thread is for... plus it gives others ideas on great films to check out if they haven’t seen them... for instance... I have never seen the film "Knock on Any Door" but now that Mayerling put it on the Bogart list I am going to search it out thanks Mayerling!!!

Steadmund Brand
                          Knock on Any Door is a favorite of mine for a reason - George Macready is in it, and he plays (as typical) an unsympathetic type - in this case a district attorney prosecuting John Derek for killing his wife. Bogart, who knows Derek, is Derek's attorney, and the film is really looking at the poverty in the urban ghettos and how it destroys lives. The thing about it (when you watch it) is despite Macready and his roughshod tactics in court, he happens to be doing the right thing in terms of trying to prove his case. It's one of those crazy situations where a person you might despise is in the right.

I think you'll like it.

Jeff
                          Last edited by Mayerling; 02-20-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=RockySullivan;331010]
                            Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

I believe your thinking of "up the river" from 1930 w Tracy
                            You are right - it is "Up the River". I saw it on the Turner Network two or three years back, and it is dated, but interesting to see the two actors working with each other. By some oddly curious situation, Tracy and Bogie made that one film together; Bogie and Fredric March made only "The Desperate Hours" together, and March and Tracy made only "Inherit the Wind" together.

I usually try to find those films where two film icons appear in leads. That was why I included "Virginia City" (Bogie, Flynn, and Scott - and Miriam Hopkins for that matter) and "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" (Bogie and Stanwyck and Alexis Smith). But while curious to watch both are not really top draw Bogart films (the complexities of "Virginia City" a western set during the Civil War in Nevada involving Union and Confederate agents after a valuable silver shipment headed East, with a band of bandits led by Bogart as a half breed from Mexico named Murrell, are so far fetched that at the end the person doing the behest of the Union Government - and thus the only patriot for the U.S.in this Civil War flick - is of all people Douglas Dumbrille who usually plays villains!) But it does have all these lead actors in it, so it is interesting. "Mrs. Carrolls" is about a homicidal painter who is uncovered by his second wife (whom he is planning to be rid of). It has some interesting confrontation moments between Stanwyck and Bogart, and Smith plays an atypically unsympathetic type in it).

Jeff
                            Last edited by Mayerling; 02-20-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mayerling;331027]
                              Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post

You are right - it is "Up the River". I saw it on the Turner Network two or three years back, and it is dated, but interesting to see the two actors working with each other. By some oddly curious situation, Tracy and Bogie made that one film together; Bogie and Fredric March made only "The Desperate Hours" together, and March and Tracy made only "Inherit the Wind" together.

I usually try to find those films where two film icons appear in leads. That was why I included "Virginia City" (Bogie, Flynn, and Scott - and Miriam Hopkins for that matter) and "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" (Bogie and Stanwyck and Alexis Smith). But while curious to watch both are not really top draw Bogart films (the complexities of "Virginia City" a western set during the Civil War in Nevada involving Union and Confederate agents after a valuable silver shipment headed East, with a band of bandits led by Bogart as a half breed from Mexico named Murrell, are so far fetched that at the end the person doing the behest of the Union Government - and thus the only patriot for the U.S.in this Civil War flick - is of all people Douglas Dumbrille who usually plays villains!) But it does have all these lead actors in it, so it is interesting. "Mrs. Carrolls" is about a homicidal painter who is uncovered by his second wife (whom he is planning to be rid of). It has some interesting confrontation moments between Stanwyck and Bogart, and Smith plays an atypically unsympathetic type in it).

Jeff
                              Thanks I'll have to check out up the river & Virginia city. Bogart and robinson made a lot of great films before bogie was a huge star. I'm nota fan of key largo it's such a drag. Manpower has raft & robinson and it's awesome! Olklahoma kid sucks...bogart and cagney and yet it's just a shitty movie. Bogie makes a terrible cowboy.

One interesting thing I've noticed is the more big stars that are in a movie the worse the movie is. It's the rule of Hollywood. Maybe because all the budget goes to the stars salaries. It's especially true today.
                              Last edited by RockySullivan; 02-20-2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• You can't get away with murder is a good bogie flick. Bogart is the perfect shamus but he sure cut his teeth as gangster!

Comment

Working...
                                X