Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She was obliged to squawk and assume goofy expressions, but I think that was par for the course for comediennes in those days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post

I'm very glad someone else appreciates it!
      My favourite scene is where Hancock goes into a cafe and demands a coffe with "no froth", much to the chagrin of the cafe owner.

"Eight hundred quids worth of frothing machinery here, and you don't want none".

Link below.

Tony Hancock wants a tea, but has to have coffee - no froth. Tony Hancock, Liz Frazer and Mario Fabrizzi.Please visit the Youtube channels of my three offici...

Comment

• "You poor man. fancy knocking around with women like that." (Aphrodite at the water hole)

The whole thing's an absolute joy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
          "You poor man. fancy knocking around with women like that." (Aphrodite at the water hole)

The whole thing's an absolute joy.
          Couldn't agree more. That film is a mug of hot cocoa on a cold winter evening for me. It makes me happy, cheers me up, gives me a cosy feeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
            You must have inadvertently put the idea of M out on the social grid yomrippur bc, for all the inexplicables, i found myself looking it up on YouTube a week or two ago. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3rWLm_PAbc
            i got as far as the kids playing the man in black game; so at this rate, i should finish watching it by 2023.
            Watching a bootlegged copy on Youtube is no way to watch a film properly, and should only be done as a last resort, such as when no home video is available. "M" happens to be readily available on Blu-ray/DVD (currently 50% off at Barnes and Nobles until Aug-11). These illegal uploads are made by converting from the original discs (assuming the bootlegger knows what he is doing), a process that degrades video and audio quality, which are further degraded by Youtube's own video conversion. Here is the difference between the version of "M" (top) you saw versus the Blu-ray:

Look at the much higher detail of the ground, the shadows, clothing, etc. shown on the Blu-ray image, whereas the Youtube image is waxy, compressed, and murky. And this is actually one of the better-looking 720p Youtube videos. The bad-looking ones are atrocious, and of course you wouldn't know because you don't have the original, pristine image to compare to, like I did above. These things are for people who don't know any better. More tragic is that they compromise their love of the movies by not seeing them in their proper form. Even more tragic is those who don't know any better think this degraded form is how these films are supposed to look.
            Last edited by YomRippur; 08-01-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Just want to stay on topic by mentioning another Ripper-esque thriller: the 1996 Italian thriller "The Stendhal Syndrome," about a female police officer who is attacked by a prostitute-murdering serial rapist-strangler in Italy. This is the trailer, and a Blu-ray with newly restore picture just came out in the US. The killer is played by German actor Thomas Kretschmann, perhaps best known in the US as the Nazi officer who saves Adrien Brody's life in "The Pianist."

Comment

• I just re-watched the "Scream" films, and noticed once again the killers' predilection for throat-cutting and "seeing the inside" of victims, which is very Ripper-esque to say the last. These are probably the most Ripper-esque films without actually using the JTR name nor referencing JTR anywhere. The killers all wear dark, cloak-like garment and they all have "mother issues" in one way or another. One killer is named Jill (Jill the Ripper?).

Comment

Working...
                X