Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Musicals?

My Fair Lady
    Oliver
    Mary Poppins
    The Wizard of Oz
    Calamity Jane
    The King and I
    Musicals... good pick...

1- Wizard of Oz
    2- Rocky Horror Picture show
    3- Top Hat
    4- Yankee Doodle Dandy
    5- The Ruling Class ( it actually IS a musical.. if you want to be technical )
    6- An American In Paris
    7- Singing in the Rain
    8- The Blues Brothers ( again.. it is technically a musical)
    9- Hard Days Night
    10- Help
    11- Magical Mystery Tour
    12- The Muppet Movie ( Original...with Paul Williams music.. And to stay with Paul Williams.....)
    13- Phantom of the Paradise
    14- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory ( Gene Wilder only!!)
    15- Paint Your Wagon ( just for the strangeness of it)
    16- Little shop of Horrors ( fun adaptation the 1986 version)
    17- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
    18- the Coconuts
    19- Animal Crackers
    20- Horsefeathers
    21- Duck Soup ( I am a Marx brother nut... these are the only four I will actually call "musicals" even though all of the films had music)
    22- Train Ride To Hollywood ( With Bloodstone!!! lost forgotten classic)
    23- Top Banana
    24- 200 Motels
    25- Popeye
    26- Shock Treatment
    27- South Park- Bigger, Longer and Uncut

I did not add Tommy or The Wall as they are operas

gee.. I guess I like Musicals more than I thought....

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      GREAT LIST!!!!

I can't believe I left off The big Sleep... shame on me ( but hey.. list was off the top of my head so....)

Thank you for mentioning Conflict... this is a film I have yet to see, and now I'll look for it ( see this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted this thread to do )

what should the next list be? any suggestions anyone.. let’s pick a genre... and please folks keep the lists coming... I know I for one am learning quite a bit and I hope others are as well.

Steadmund Brand

P.S. Now I must look up Jonathan Goodman as well that is a great story!!!!
      Hi Steadmund,

Don't be ashamed about it. These lists are like those psychological tests where a word is mentioned to you and you have to repeat the first word that pops into your head. There are plenty of films we all enjoy that we simply can't recall at the time we do one of these lists.

For example, among the thriller/film noir listings I gave (and I gave a sizeable list) note that I did not include these films which I thoroughly enjoyed.

1) The Mask of Dimitrios
      2) Three Strangers
      3) The Verdict (1946)
      4) Out of the Past
      5) Brighton Rock (one of my all time favorites - with some interesting variations from the original Graham Greene novel)
      6) The Third Man
      7) The Fallen Idol (an intriguing noir, as it turns out there is no real crime.)
      8) The Stranger
      9) The Spiral Staircase
      10) Ladies in Retirement
      11) So Evil My Love
      12) Gaslight
      13) Manhunt
      14) The Ministry of Fear
      15) The Big Clock (I always love watching the film)
      16) History is Made at Night (not technically a noir, but it rises to it due to the portrayal of the insane shipping owner played by Colin Clive)
      17) Night Must Fall (1937 - Robert Montgomery shows what he can do!)
      18) Rage in Heaven
      19) High Sierra (Bogie's really first great starring role)
      20) The Petrified Forest
      21) The Naked City
      22) Rififi
      23) Diabolique
      24) Les Corbeau
      25) I Walk Alone
      26) The Killers
      27) Crossfire
      28) The Little Foxes (yeah, the Hellman play shows a vicious side of the upper crust - and dig that somewhat perfect murder)
      29) The Letter (1941)
      30) All This and Heaven Too

Again I have not exhausted the films. Some may be peripheral, but all have noir elements in them.

Jeff
      Last edited by Mayerling; 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        Hi Steadmund,

Don't be ashamed about it. These lists are like those psychological tests where a word is mentioned to you and you have to repeat the first word that pops into your head. There are plenty of films we all enjoy that we simply can't recall at the time we do one of these lists.

For example, among the thriller/film noir listings I gave (and I gave a sizeable list) note that I did not include these films which I thoroughly enjoyed.

1) The Mask of Dimitrios
        2) Three Strangers
        3) The Verdict (1946)
        4) Out of the Past
        5) Brighton Rock (one of my all time favorites - with some interesting variations from the original Graham Greene novel)
        6) The Third Man
        7) The Fallen Idol (an intriguing noir, as it turns out there is no real crime.)
        8) The Stranger
        9) The Spiral Staircase
        10) Ladies in Retirement
        11) So Evil My Love
        12) Gaslight
        13) Manhunt
        14) The Ministry of Fear
        15) The Big Clock (I always love watching the film)
        16) History is Made at Night (not technically a noir, but it rises to it due to the portrayal of the insane shipping owner played by Colin Clive)
        17) Night Must Fall (1937 - Robert Montgomery shows what he can do!)
        18) Rage in Heaven
        19) High Sierra (Bogie's really first great starring role)
        20) The Petrified Forest
        21) The Naked City
        22) Rififi
        23) Diabolique
        24) Les Corbeau
        25) I Walk Alone
        26) The Killers
        27) Crossfire
        28) The Little Foxes (yeah, the Hellman play shows a vicious side of the upper crust - and dig that somewhat perfect murder)
        29) The Letter (1941)
        30) All This and Heaven Too

Again I have not exhausted the films. Some may be peripheral, but all have noir elements in them.

Jeff
        great list.

How about Manhunter-the first one that has hannibal lector
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
          Musicals... good pick...

1- Wizard of Oz
          2- Rocky Horror Picture show
          3- Top Hat
          4- Yankee Doodle Dandy
          5- The Ruling Class ( it actually IS a musical.. if you want to be technical )
          6- An American In Paris
          7- Singing in the Rain
          8- The Blues Brothers ( again.. it is technically a musical)
          9- Hard Days Night
          10- Help
          11- Magical Mystery Tour
          12- The Muppet Movie ( Original...with Paul Williams music.. And to stay with Paul Williams.....)
          13- Phantom of the Paradise
          14- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory ( Gene Wilder only!!)
          15- Paint Your Wagon ( just for the strangeness of it)
          16- Little shop of Horrors ( fun adaptation the 1986 version)
          17- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
          18- the Coconuts
          19- Animal Crackers
          20- Horsefeathers
          21- Duck Soup ( I am a Marx brother nut... these are the only four I will actually call "musicals" even though all of the films had music)
          22- Train Ride To Hollywood ( With Bloodstone!!! lost forgotten classic)
          23- Top Banana
          24- 200 Motels
          25- Popeye
          26- Shock Treatment
          27- South Park- Bigger, Longer and Uncut

I did not add Tommy or The Wall as they are operas

gee.. I guess I like Musicals more than I thought....

Steadmund Brand
          All right, musicals:

Meet Me in St. Louis
          The Wizard of Oz
          In the Good Old Summertime
          Summerstock
          Easter Parade
          A Star is Born (technicaly more than a musical, but I'm a big Judy fan - though I like James as well)
          The Pirate
          Good News
          Best Foot Forward
          Flying Down to Rio (and not for Gene Raymond, although I do like Dolores Del Rio - it's for introducing Fred and Ginger and Vincent Youmans' score)
          Hit the Deck (1955)
          Tea for Two
          The Gay Divorcee
          Top Hat
          Swing Time
          Roberta (oddly enough Irene Dunne has the best musical moment here - singing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes")
          The Barkeleys of Broadway
          Carefree
          Follow the Fleet
          The Goldiggers of 1933
          The Goldiggers of 1935
          Forty Second Street
          Footlight Parade
          Dames
          Love Me Tonight
          The Merry Widow (1934)
          One Evening With You
          The Love Parade
          Maytime (1937)
          Rose Marie (1936)
          Naughty Marietta
          Sweethearts
          Bittersweet (I actually did like it - despite Mr. Coward's dislike of it)
          The New Moon
          Duck Soup (1933)
          A Night at the Opera (the destruction of Il Trovatore is marvelous)
          Showboat (1936)
          High Wide and Handsome
          Showboat (1951)
          Calamity Jane
          Romance on the High Seas
          On Moonlight Bay
          Pal Joey
          On the Town
          Anchors Aweigh
          Take Me Out to the Ballgame
          It Happened in Brooklyn
          High Society

to paraphrase the title of a late Judy Garland film title..."I Could Go On Listing!"

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff

That golfing story from Dead of Night contains one of my all time favourite lines. When Wayne tells the golfing cheat Radford that he will have to stay within a certain short distance of Radford, even on Radford's wedding night, Radford says with great dignity : "Because a chap becomes a ghost shouldn't mean that he ceases to be a gentleman."

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              great list.

How about Manhunter-the first one that has hannibal lector
              Hi Abby,

Believe it or not, while I am aware of Mr. Lector and his de-LECTOR-ble eating habits, I have not seen either "The Silence of the Lambs" or "Manhunter". A lot of the post 1972 movies were never caught by me. In fact, if you look at my lists, you'll notice most of the movies end roughly about 1960 (some will go up to 1970).

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

That golfing story from Dead of Night contains one of my all time favourite lines. When Wayne tells the golfing cheat Radford that he will have to stay within a certain short distance of Radford, even on Radford's wedding night, Radford says with great dignity : "Because a chap becomes a ghost shouldn't mean that he ceases to be a gentleman."
                Hi Robert,

Yes, and if you recall there is a clever camera trick pulled shortly after, somewhat based on this notion. Nauton Wayne is concentrating on trying to remember the proper hand movements to disappear, and Basil Radford sees an opportunity to go to his bride's room to commence the honeymoon. He enters, and Wayne vanishes in the middle of using a motion - we think the motion worked. But a second later, an angry Radford reenters the living room followed by Wayne, who obviously was put into the bedroom because he had to be within 8 feet of Radford unless he dematerialized. It's actual a clever moment. Apparently this tale was a short story by (of all people) H. G. Wells. Well Wells liked supernatural ideas at times ("The Man Who Could Perform Miracles" is a perfect example of this).

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff

Yes it was a clever touch.

Wells's story is online, but I can't read it as my eyes aren't too good at the moment. Here's an old radio dramatisation :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Hi Jeff

Yes it was a clever touch.

Wells's story is online, but I can't read it as my eyes aren't too good at the moment. Here's an old radio dramatisation :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-UioE2e5Q
                    Thanks Robert,

I listened to the dramatization, and it varies considerably from the sequence in "Dead of Night". No mention of golf, or of a rivalry over a woman, and the "dead man" ends up regaining life in the end while his rival disappears.
                    Here both the man and the ghost are ghosts in the end. It's a clever story, but I wonder why they rewrote it. Wells died in 1946, which is about the time the film was made. Possibly they felt nobody would be critical about the changes.

Jeff

Comment

Hello Robert. Thanks.

Hmm, a sticky wicket.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• must watch

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

It was 1956.

Rod Steiger

Anita Ekberg

Keith Andes

Robert Ryan

Gene Barry

Beulah Bondi

Need I say more? It is a MUST watch.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Hi Jeff

Dead of Night was 1945. The Wikipedia entry for the film says that both Wells and EF Benson were uncredited, but in fact the film's opening titles mention both men, though not saying who wrote what.

I don't know whether Wells received any money for the use of his idea.

Comment

• "what should the next list be? any suggestions anyone.. let’s pick a genre... and please folks keep the lists coming... I know I for one am learning quite a bit and I hope others are as well."

I agree, it has been interesting to see what movies other people really rate.

Re what the next list could be, we could do it by genres, or we could take an interesting detour.

How about the following?

1. Those movies that are guilty pleasures, largely devoid of any artistic or acting merit, but we love them anyway (Showgirls anyone?)

2. Those movies that are just so twisted and totally barking that we watch them with our mouths open, and at the end ask ourselves what the hell have we just watched.

Comment

• Hi Barn

As a guilty pleasure, I would nominate The Ghost Train with Arthur Askey, whose hyperactive cheerfulness becomes extremely wearing, so much so that I was waiting for the ghost train to arrive so that the other passengers could throw Askey under it. But hey, I'm a sucker for ghost stories and old country stations, and Askey isn't usually quite so relentless.

Comment

• Barking?

Killer Joe, which meanders along as a modern noirish tale of low life's then goes totally off the planet in the last half hour.

Dumplings, Japanese or Korean film, it WILL make you feel sick, also Audition, Oldboy, Battle Royale, Sightseers and a very odd British film about a couple of paranormal investigators I've forgotten the name of.
                                All the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X