its no longer boring....shawlgate!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'day Jeff

You were right about the date, but at 4:45 A.M. my mind is barely functioning about calendar matters.
    I only knew because it was late Sunday night here and Monday [today for me] is herself's birthday and I'd just realised I had her a present but not a card. And of course too late to do a thing about it.

But she still loves me
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Franlin Expedition & Ice Mummies

Hi guys. Saw you mentioned the news about the Franklin Expedition.

Here's a really cool 3 minute video on the discovery of the Franklin Ice Mummies. I posted it 4 or 5 years ago but forget where, so here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_HjhO-cCY

And here's the full length documentary from 1988 called 'Buried In Ice': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ2LTV32hjM

Archaic

PS: Mayerling, why does the FBI keep searching for Hoffa? I tear my hair out every time. They waste millions of dollars and never find a damn thing.
      He's obviously dead, and take your pick: was put through a wood-chipper, chopped in pieces & stuffed in an oil drum dropped to the bottom of the sea, or was dropped into a metal smelter & possibly built into a truck part. (My personal favorite.)

I wish the FBI would spend that money and effort on finding missing kids.

Who cares where Hoffa is? If the Mafia care, they can search for his remains on their own dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
        Hi guys. Saw you mentioned the news about the Franklin Expedition.

Here's a really cool 3 minute video on the discovery of the Franklin Ice Mummies. I posted it 4 or 5 years ago but forget where, so here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_HjhO-cCY

And here's the full length documentary from 1988 called 'Buried In Ice': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ2LTV32hjM

Archaic

PS: Mayerling, why does the FBI keep searching for Hoffa? I tear my hair out every time. They waste millions of dollars and never find a damn thing.
        He's obviously dead, and take your pick: was put through a wood-chipper, chopped in pieces & stuffed in an oil drum dropped to the bottom of the sea, or was dropped into a metal smelter & possibly built into a truck part. (My personal favorite.)

I wish the FBI would spend that money and effort on finding missing kids.

Who cares where Hoffa is? If the Mafia care, they can search for his remains on their own dime.
        Hi Archaic,

You have me on this Hoffa fixation. It's one of those "mysteries" everyone can simply figure out a plausible solution, but the exact one is unknown (the reason for the disappearance is that Hoffa had the wrong enemies, and was threatening a comeback - but the exact way he was disposed of has never been figured out perfectly). Another like it was the sad fate of Walter Powell, M. P. and aeronaut, who was swept out to sea in a balloon he was in (in December 1881) and never seen again. He probably died in the ocean, or his balloon crashed on land in Spain (some wreckage "was reported" found there) and died in the crash. Technically a mystery - though nothing like what Charles Fort twisted it into.

Hoffa's son is a bigwig in the Teamsters now, so the Feds and the Union may still be curious about his fate - but I agree it does seem to be a waste of money. But it is not the first time. In the wake of his administration's success in tracking down the body of John Paul Jones in Paris (Jones died there in 1792), and burying it in a large ceremony at Annapolis (where it is now found) in 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt got involved in an inquiry into a lost naval craft. If you have read "The Man Without A Country", at the start we are told that Philip Nolan (the hero) is reported to have died on the cruise of the frigate "U.S.S. Levant". The "Levant" was a one time actual U.S. naval frigate, but it vanished in the Pacific in 1860, after a state visit to the Hawaiian Islands (then an independent kingdom). It apparently was sunk in a typhoon type storm it sailed into (it was headed for Chile) and a piece of wreckage ended up on the island of Hijo in the Hawaiian chain.
        But rumours (that favorite of mystery lovers and romantics and conspiracy builders) suggested the ship got wrecked (a-la-"Gilligan's Island") on an "uncharted desert isle"). TR sent U.S. warships to the area of Hawaii (now a U.S. territory since 1898) to check out the rumours. Naturally nothing was found (it was 1905, and the ship vanished 45 years before).
        It was not a brilliant follow-up to the return of Commodore Jones' remains, and most Roosevelt scholars have ignored the costly fiasco.

Jeff
        Last edited by Mayerling; 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I decided to start a new thread on "Great Disappearances" as I suggested earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            I decided to start a new thread on "Great Disappearances" as I suggested earlier.
            I hope to be adding my wife and her mother's details on there very shortly.
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
              I hope to be adding my wife and her mother's details on there very shortly.
              If she reads this you may well add your wife's name, at least from your life.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
              X