This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post

yes, I imagine it would seem like that to you.

"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairy tales,
    That's all she ever thinks about,
    Riding with the wind.​"

Imagine ahead Sir!

The Baron

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

The main, in fact the only, butcher in my Tesco is a purely Halal butcher.
      To make a point, next time you`re in Tesco, pretend to look at a shopping list and ask the butcher for an ounce of that, a couple of slices of this, and then when they`ve bagged them all up for you ask if it`s Halal and when they say yes, just say "keep it" and walk off.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post

"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairy tales,
        That's all she ever thinks about,
        Riding with the wind.​"

Imagine ahead Sir!

Fly on ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hold the bus there, Wick!

From some of the posts earlier in this thread you would think that you couldn't move for Muslims in good old Blighty!
          We might be at cross-purposes here, Karl's point to me would have concerned KFC, the link I provided was for Ontario, Canada. I don't know what KFC UK are doing.
          My reply was to point out that the population of Muslims in Ontario was less than 5%, which is why the policy looks odd as a business decision, considering the process is more expensive.
          Not forgetting the population of Sikh's (who cannot eat Halal), is less than 3%, any presumed benefits are immediately slashed in half.
          There's something else going on.

By and large people are apathetic about where their meat comes from which makes this a viable business decision.
          Truth be told, I think thats the case with most people, outside of animal activists.

I agree with Herlock that there should be choice (well actually I'm a lifelong vegetarian, so the whole meat-eating thing is anathema to me, but I'm not so naive as to think that everyone is going to switch to tofu any day soon)!
          Right, but Vegitarians don't have such a firm grip on their members, who can follow their preferences as they desire.
          Radical Muslims control others and make demands in the name of Islam to get what they want. I don't know if you are aware but Muslims support the postal vote because it allows the Cleric to control the Muslim vote.

They are able to make women (or anyone) in the community vote for who they tell them to, or mark their vote on their behalf.
          They don't care about rules, 'they' make the rules, everything they do is in the name of Allah, so it can't be wrong.
          Their whole society is built around the concept of dominance, and this is how they conduct themselves in countries they migrate to.

I don't know the situation with regards to Tesco, so can't comment. I can only speak for Ontario, Canada. We are concerned because whatever happens in UK & Europe will eventually appear over here. I just posted the KFC link because it was a surprise to me and I wondered if anyone in the UK had noticed this similar 'secret' (as in, unpublished) change in supply of meat products.

You must admit, to change your offering completely to halal, when it is more expensive, and only benefits less than 5%, but also alienates less than 3% of the local population, is a poor business decision.

I have always thought that there's a weird disconnect between genuine love of animals and a willingness to ignore the cruel realities of battery farming and slaughter.
          We do find such dichotomy on many issues in modern society, which might make some question if what people purpose to stand for is genuine.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’m a meat eater Ms D but I love animals which I realise is a bit of a contradiction…but it’s one that millions face every day all across the world.

Well yes, this is the strange disconnect that I personally find hard to explain, but of course it exists.

Animals are also killed by animals for food of course

And sometimes for the sheer fun of it.

My cats are extremely well catered for, but you should see what happens here if a blue-bottle foolishly flies in a window!!!

Red in tooth and claw indeed, but they're cats just doing what cats do!

and we all know that the world will never stop eating meat. I, like the majority I hope, feel that animals should at least be killed in the most humane way possible. A few on here appear to disagree and the suffering of the animal appears not to register a glimmer with them. It also appears not to bother them that two ‘groups’ can get exempted from the law that safeguards animals against needless suffering.
            Of course I agree that if people are going to eat meat it should be raised and slaughtered in the least traumatic and painful way possible.

I'm just not convinced that stunning is that much kinder.

The RSPCA have recently come in for a lot of criticism for not condemning some barbaric farming practices.

Apparently the RSPCA monitored logo on your meat and eggs does not guarantee that the farming practices are particularly humane.

I'll try and find the articles and post when I have time.

Comment

Of course I agree that if people are going to eat meat it should be raised and slaughtered in the least traumatic and painful way possible.

The RSPCA have recently come in for a lot of criticism for not condemning some barbaric farming practices.

Apparently the RSPCA monitored logo on your meat and eggs does not guarantee that the farming practices are particularly humane.

Cheers Ms D. Sadly, if being humane results in a slight lessening of profits….
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• . Vegitarians don't have such a firm grip on their members​
                Come on Wick, there’s a lady present, keep it clean.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Neither do I, I have just read a research that listed the disadvantages of this method.

The Baron

Comment

• Nutritional quality and physiological effects of halal meat: A pilot study in non-Muslim consumers

Conclusion

"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to provide evidence about the higher nutritional quality of halal meat and the beneficial impact of its short-term consumption on different physiological variables, including weight, muscle mass, body fat and antioxidant status. Altogether, these scientific findings can help meat consumers to choose this food-trend against other options and independently of their religious belief"

I am going to buy halal meat!

The Baron

Comment

• Again….an absolute lack of content. Posting just to annoy. Sad.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        Not forgetting the population of Sikh's (who cannot eat Halal), is less than 3%, any presumed benefits are immediately slashed in half.
                        There's something else going on.
                        No, really there isn't, Wick. You're seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one; I worked for a corporation and that's not the way they think or operate. It's all about the bottom-line.

As already pointed out, many health-conscious people also chose Halal meat--polls show that 40% of consumers who prefer Halal meat are non-Muslim.

They are a still a minority, of course, and perhaps a relatively small one, but from a business standpoint they became a big enough percentage of KFC's consumers that the bean counters in the corporate office didn't want to risk losing that demographic (and those profits) by offending those customers.

So, they catered to the minority, thinking that the other chicken consumers wouldn't care if the chicken's throat was slit rather than having it shocked and beheaded, or that their drumsticks were fried in vegetable oil rather than pork lard.

This OFTEN happens in business. The corporate boys and girls weigh the risks and the rewards. If enough consumers are concerned about something, the corporation will try to appease them on the principle that the other consumers won't care. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In this case, KFC Canada didn't correctly predict that another significant percentage of their consumers would be up-in-arms by the switch. But mark my words, if customer surveys show that the reward is worth the risk, they won't switch back, and it is too expensive to set up a whole cumbersome system where a customer ordering a chicken leg can chose whether he wants it cooked in oil or lard. They'll probably just wait it out, thinking you will eventually lose interest.

The only religion in a corporation is the all-mighty dollar. And since corporate farming and mass meat production is inherently cruel, they didn't figure that their meat-loving customers would care enough about the lowly chicken.

You might think it is the tyranny of the minority, but it's the way corporate businesses often operate.

Comment

Here's that link:

https://www.ethicalglobe.com/blog/in...20requirements.

The extent of this surprised even me.

The RSPCA do great work, but they have dropped the ball completely with their "RSPCA Assured" labelling.

Comment

Here's that link:

https://www.ethicalglobe.com/blog/in...20requirements.

The extent of this surprised even me.

The RSPCA do great work, but they have dropped the ball completely with their "RSPCA Assured" labelling.
                            Thats a complete horror story Ms D. Depressing stuff. As you say though, the RSPCA in general do a great job and have done for a long time.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Zabiha Halal, is owned by Maple Leaf Farms, who also owns KFC Canada.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	70
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	838542

There is no publicity statement to explain why KFC dropped the popular Pulled-pork sandwich.

or we can think up some apologetics to explain the changes.

Attached Files
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                                Zabiha Halal, is owned by Maple Leaf Farms, who also owns KFC Canada.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	70
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	838542

There is no publicity statement to explain why KFC dropped the popular Pulled-pork sandwich.

or we can think up some apologetics to explain the changes.

Not trying to be an apologist, but Maple Lodge(not leaf) Farms do not own KFC Canada. It's owned by Yum! Brands. Maple Lodge Farms are simply providing KFC with their halal meat.

One truth and lie this time.

All the best,
                                Tab

Comment

Working...
                                X