Who put Bella in the Witch Elm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

There’s pretty much one movie I can’t get (BFI have a copy and I believe The Library Of Congress?
    Which one?

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Internet Archive Search: subject:"Eille Norwood"

Three of the Stolls.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

Which one?
        It’s The Return Of Sherlock Holmes (1929) with Clive Brook. The first talking Holmes movie.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Cheers Dave, I’ve got those three. A mate got them for me. There used to be a few of them on YouTube but not since ALW bought them.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• A question about ancestry records.

In Merrills book he says:

”The 1939 records are incomplete;Data Protection legislation prevents records of those born less than 100 years ago from being made available to the public.”

I don’t have access to any genealogy sites but a few months ago some of these were giving free access periods to do with WW1. I was messing around on one and a mate asked me to look something up. It was residents in his old house in 1939. Six occupants but two were blanked out (born in 1938 so less than 100 years) Of the four remaining two were born in 1927 and 1929 but they were visible and obviously born less than 100 years ago too. Any suggestions?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It’s The Return Of Sherlock Holmes (1929) with Clive Brook. The first talking Holmes movie.
              One of our American members could put in a request to Library of Congress for a copy.

Also available in silent

Meh. At worst LoC can say no.

No doubt you have the John Barrymore film.

Comment

One of our American members could put in a request to Library of Congress for a copy.

Also available in silent

Meh. At worst LoC can say no.

No doubt you have the John Barrymore film.
                Yes I’ve got the Barrymore one and recently discovered Hound Of The Baskerville silent with Carlyle Blackwell.

I know someone who knows some who...(you get the picture) who has the film. He’s in the process of tracking him down. He was living in Germany but he’s now in Norway apparently so it’s fingers crossed. If I don’t get it it won’t be the end of the world. I don’t collect as much as I used to. Collecting can get out of control and way too expensive. I once spent £450 on a two autograph only for my 5 year old nephew to tear it up.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

recently discovered Hound Of The Baskerville silent with Carlyle Blackwell.
                  Der Hund von Baskerville is available on Bluray along with the 1914 version.

Comment

Der Hund von Baskerville is available on Bluray along with the 1914 version.
                    I was conned when I first got Der Hund. No subtitles when it arrived so I had to buy it again. Then one got damaged in the post. Then they replaced it with the wrong film! It would have been less hassle learning German.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I was conned when I first got Der Hund. No subtitles when it arrived so I had to buy it again. Then one got damaged in the post. Then they replaced it with the wrong film! It would have been less hassle learning German.
                      hi herlock
                      ive been getting into the SH lately. i own murder by decree, a study in terror and hound of the baskervilles (cushing, lee). can you recommend a couple of the next best ones? nothing too old and or black and white.
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi herlock
                        ive been getting into the SH lately. i own murder by decree, a study in terror and hound of the baskervilles (cushing, lee). can you recommend a couple of the next best ones? nothing too old and or black and white.
                        Hi Abby,

A few suggestions....

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes

A Billy Wilder movie and the favourite of Mark Gatiss who created Sherlock. Stars Robert Stephens as Holmes. Christopher Lee plays Mycroft.

The Seven Percent Solution starring Nicol Williamson as Holmes. Holmes has a drug problem and Mycroft and Watson trick him into going to Austria on Moriarty’s trail but really they want him to see Sigmund Freud. When he meets Freud he gets involved in a case.

Ian Richardson was a good Holmes and appeared in two 1980’s TV movies. The Hound and The Sign of Four.

Ill add a wildcard; one of my favourites. Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes.

Richardson plays Dr Joseph Bell who was Doyle’s inspiration for Holmes. Doyle becomes his assistant at the University and Doyle helps the police with investigations. So basically Bell = Holmes and Doyle = Watson.

Brilliant series. One pilot episode then 3 (or was it 4?) more episodes. All movie length.

Im sure you’ve seen the Grenada series with Jeremy Brett, Abby? Best Holmes ever imo.

Hope that helps
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Abby,

You'd enjoy "They Might Be Giants",1971.

Comment

• thanks herlock and DJA-ill have to check those out!!
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Later film. Other might enjoy.

Sherlock Holmes (1932) with Clive Brook - YouTube
                              Last edited by DJA; 10-30-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I’ve never really understood why one is easily available but not the other?
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X