Who put Bella in the Witch Elm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Interesting that the shin bone was found 12 yards away. And that there were bones missing. Do you think that this might be put down to animals?
    Foxes.

Used to hunt them.
    Shoot a kangaroo and come back later. Fox in carcass stuffing itself. Bang!

Red foxes are not tree climbers as a rule.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      someone must have occupied that house/estate when he was gone-do we know who was there around 40-42 time frame?
      It seems that it was earmarked to be used as a hospital if required, but never was, and the family continued to live at the hall. But the Home Guard did use the grounds for training.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

It seems that it was earmarked to be used as a hospital if required, but never was, and the family continued to live at the hall. But the Home Guard did use the grounds for training.
        thanks JR

i would be looking at who lived there (any adult males???)and or was familiar with the grounds in the timeframe 40-42. the killer must have known about that tree IMHO. and i do find it weird no one associated with the estate noticed the smell and discovered the body.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post

Foxes.

Used to hunt them.
          Shoot a kangaroo and come back later. Fox in carcass stuffing itself. Bang!

Red foxes are not tree climbers as a rule.
          oh yes they are. especially that tree. would have been easy for a fox to get into that one.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

thanks DJA
            someone must have occupied that house/estate when he was gone-do we know who was there around 40-42 time frame?
            No 1941 Census,however the National Registration Act 1939 should prove handy.

Let us know how you go.

Comment

Looking at the photo of the tree I wouldn’t fancy trying to get a body into the cavity especially with all those branches. Then again she was very small a light.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Just received my volume two. This one is 250 pages or so compared to 119 for vol one.

I skimmed through it before starting and I have to say that it’s an impressive effort especially for a 16 year old and his dad. Plenty of photographs, maps, newspaper cuttings, extracts from letters. I’d certainly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t already got it. I know Dave has the e-version but I don’t know if anyone else has got it?

Ive got Unknown Secrets by Harris on order and I’m thinking of getting Under The Shadow Of Meon Hill by Newman, which has another murder plus Bella so I’m assuming he’s linking them?
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It is really bad pollarding of old trees which doesn't really serve much purpose fuel or wood wise.

Might supply some fodder for the deer.

Might be OK for basket weaving,etc.

A hollow is fairly typical of the old trees.

Seriously doubt any of the photos are of the correct tree.
                  Last edited by DJA; 10-26-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Charles Walton was murdered at the foot of Meon Hill, which overlooks the village of Lower Quinton. Seems as if this chap is suggesting that Witchcraft was involved in those two murders.

Comment

The area is steeped in the old traditions. In 1875, just 10 miles from Lower Quinton, in the village of Long Compton, Anne Tennant was murdered by James Hayward a farm laborer. Hayward believed Ann Tennant had bewitched him.

Comment

reading up on this case and learning more of the details-during WW 2, gypsies, spies, the graffiti, prostitutes, the four kids, witchcraft, the old estate and I have to say this would be a great premise for a scary period piece movie (my favorite genre). and the weird story of the suspect who died in a lunatic asylum!?! Im surprised no one has made this into a movie. it be pretty good methinks
                        Last edited by Abby Normal; 10-27-2020, 02:55 PM.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Maybe I’ve missed something (wouldn’t be the first time) but what happened to the green bottle that Bob Farmer said that he saw along with the skull? He also said that he saw a pair of shoes but there was only a single shoe (the second being found some yards away) Just an error of course.

When he gave an interview in 1978 he amended this to only one shoe but again he mentions the green bottle. Did this bottle exist as I can recall no mention of it being checked in any way?

Have I unintentionally skipped over an explanation for this missing bottle? Of course Farmer might simply have been mistaken but the author doesn’t mention this?
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Bottle might have been thrown there by a passerby.

Starting to suspect she was murdered in the vicinity,possibly Hasbury, stored for some time and then planted in the tree.

Killers had knowledge of the old hollow pollarded tree or trees.A grave would have been noticed.

Locals. Probably rapists.

Incidentally, Dudley Market was only 10 to 15 Km away,depending on route taken.

"Evidence" is a mess. Seems any clothing labels had been removed,yet the English made shoes remained.
                            Last edited by DJA; 10-27-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                                Bottle might have been thrown there by a passerby.

Starting to suspect she was murdered in the vicinity,possibly Hasbury, stored for some time and then planted in the tree.

Killers had knowledge of the old hollow pollarded tree or trees.A grave would have been noticed.

Locals. Probably rapists.

Incidentally, Dudley Market was only 10 to 15 Km away,depending on route taken.

"Evidence" is a mess. Seems any clothing labels had been removed,yet the English made shoes remained.
                                Certainly possible that’s where the bottle came from if it existed in the first place. No mention of what type of bottle it was or whether it was fingerprinted or not but that ties in with your comment about the evidence. Shoddy stuff.

Agree that it was likely a local killer but I keep wondering if Bella was from elsewhere (possibly a gypsy?) With her distinctive teeth and being so small and yet no one identifies her. If the killing was among the gypsies it might explain why they didn’t want outside involvement.

The case certainly attracted its fair share oddballs - Zita Boyden for one.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X