Who put Bella in the Witch Elm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

One of the boys, Bob Farmer, said that when he managed to fish the skull out by poking a stick into a hole at the base of the skull (the Foramen Magnum) he thought that he’d pushed in a piece of cloth.

Webster said that the body gave no pointers as to cause of death except for part of her skirt which had been pushed pretty deep into her mouth which might have indicated asphyxiation.
    Hmmm. Cheers. Hmmm.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

They also checked shops in Bilston, Wednesbury and West Bromwich. I was in Wednesbury today.
      Which left 6 pairs sold at the market stall in Dudley.
      Dudley was a bit of a tourist town,with the castle being converted to a zoo in 1939.

Well get a wriggle on,you should be in Monbury!
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        just from reading the wiki entry it looks like Bella was a prostitute who had disapeared about 2-3 years earlier. the other stories are a bit far fetched.
        According to a random website I've just read, Bella the prostitute turned up alive later.

Comment

I’m interested in the name Lubella can anybody find any examples? I just googled and got this:

Statistics and meaning of name Lubella

Usage: 88% firstname, 12% surname.
          Lubella first name was found 16 times in 3 different countries.
          Surname Lubella is used at least 2 times in at least 1 countries. (USA)
          Japanese for German measles ..... she was a SPY!

Those name sites are just trying to get you to sign up.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

According to a random website I've just read, Bella the prostitute turned up alive later.
            so weird. if true, is the bella grafitti bs then? i mean whats the chance of a local prostitute named bella disapearing around the same time the body was determined to be dead whos also called bella?
            i mean not really a common name is it?

unless its unquestionably determined that the known prostitute bella turned up alive, im inclined to question that. is their anything in the police record that confirms this?
            Last edited by Abby Normal; 10-26-2020, 01:06 AM.

Comment

so weird. if true, is the bella grafitti bs then? i mean whats the chance of a local prostitute named bella disapearing around the same time the body was determined to be dead whos also called bella?

unless its unquestionably determined that the known prostitute bella turned up alive, im inclined to question that. is their anything in the police record that confirms this?
              Actually Bella is a popular first and last name.

Comment

Gaslight was a popular stage play and movie at the time.

Nowadays Louisa Bella is a well known blogger.

Comment

One of the boys, Bob Farmer, said that when he managed to fish the skull out by poking a stick into a hole at the base of the skull (the Foramen Magnum) he thought that he’d pushed in a piece of cloth.

Webster said that the body gave no pointers as to cause of death except for part of her skirt which had been pushed pretty deep into her mouth which might have indicated asphyxiation.
                  Now the peanut gallery is looking up a foreman by the name of Magnum

Comment

Seems the police caught the local crank responsible for the graffiti.

Lot of conflicting "evidence".

Anyone know precisely where on the estate the tree was?

Was it near Hagley Hall or on the other side?

Comment

Hi Abby,

Well this threads coming on nicely!

Bella would've been decidedly common. As an abbreviation for Isabelle and Annabelle, but also as a generic nickname, regardless of what her given name was, in much the same way lots of men are / were called "Jack".

The timeline is important though. Did the missing prostitute story come to light before the appearance of the first graffiti? Was it well known?

The estate belonging to Lord Commander Viscount Biscuits or whatever his name is doesn't mean he lived there, so that's worth pinning down. It was obviously well known to the local scallywags as a spot for a bit of scrumping so it's probably not a huge mystery that others knew of it.

It would be unlikely that someone(s) carried the body there and lucked on a hollow tree, so I'd guess for killed on site or the killer(s) knew the tree was suitable.

And this shoe business is fascinating! We'll have this cracked in no time.

Keep up the good work guys.
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	zz bw.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	744593 Given the lady's clothes resembled football colors,I had a look at the local teams.

No luck so broadened my search.

The Michigan Wolverines wore blue and maize at the time. Maize vs mustard as described,not yellow or gold.

One of the first color pictures published was the cover of Look magazine in 1948.
                        Bob Chappuis is on the cover.
                        Also have a color photo of one of their 1940 helmets.
                        (webp photos unfortunately)
                        The above is a black and white ..... obviously.
                        Last edited by DJA; 10-26-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                          Given the lady's clothes resembled football colors,I had a look at the local teams.

No luck so broadened my search.

The Michigan Wolverines wore blue and maize at the time.

One of the first color pictures published was the cover of Look magazine in 1948.
                          Bob Chappuis is on the cover.
                          Also have a color photo of one of their 1940 helmets.
                          (webp photos unfortunately)
                          Interesting line of enquiry. West Brom have pretty much always played in dark blue and white stripes. One of the founding members of the league in 1888.

However, the history of colours is vague at best, lots of teams lost to history, and established ones varying their kits. The Mighty Villa are recorded as playing in a blue and brown kit in their early days, but that's based on some really old kit invoices, other evidence is hard to find. There's also another team based in Brum, some amateurs that play in blue.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'm not totally convinced there was much in the way of team merchandise at the time. Particularly ladies cardigans.

Interestingly, Dudley is the largest town in the UK that doesn't have a professional football team.

Dudley Zoo's a great place, but it always reminds me of a joke.

"The lions escaped from the zoo, it was last seen heading towards Tipton"

"It'll have to fend for itself then..."
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hagled-Wood-Map.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	744599

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Interesting line of enquiry. West Brom have pretty much always played in dark blue and white stripes. One of the founding members of the league in 1888.

However, the history of colours is vague at best, lots of teams lost to history, and established ones varying their kits. The Mighty Villa are recorded as playing in a blue and brown kit in their early days, but that's based on some really old kit invoices, other evidence is hard to find. There's also another team based in Brum, some amateurs that play in blue.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'm not totally convinced there was much in the way of team merchandise at the time. Particularly ladies cardigans.

Interestingly, Dudley is the largest town in the UK that doesn't have a professional football team.

Dudley Zoo's a great place, but it always reminds me of a joke.

"The lions escaped from the zoo, it was last seen heading towards Tipton"

"It'll have to fend for itself then..."
                              Checked that lot before casting a wider net.

Her cardigan seems to have been hand knitted .... blue and mustard.

Michigan is in the US of A.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post

Which left 6 pairs sold at the market stall in Dudley.
                                Dudley was a bit of a tourist town,with the castle being converted to a zoo in 1939.

Well get a wriggle on,you should be in Monbury!
                                In the 5 page chapter on the shoes in the only book that I have at the moment there’s no mention of Dudley. It specifically mentions 6 pairs received by CA Allan Ltd in Bilston though. Doesn’t mean Dudley isn’t true though but this book was 2018 so, if Dudley had been suggested, he gives no reason for discarding the suggestion.

I asked an aunt who was born in Wednesbury In 1938 but she can’t remember the shop but it may have closed when she was very young. Not that her remembering it would have helped in any way of course.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
                                X