• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post

I could probably manage that much.
    Sounds like a great idea Debra!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post

Tbh, all I'm looking for is a dispassionate, fact-based report of the Torso murders. I've heard Trow's book has numerous errors.
      I enjoyed Trow's book, and to be fair, it's mainly accurate, and unlike the book under discussion, it avoids being too speculative. However, this case is extremely complex and an absolute minefield for the unwary particularly, as Debra points out, as there are a number of errors in the press reports. In fact, I've even been known to make the odd mistake myself!
      Last edited by John G; 06-17-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post

In fact, I've even been known to make the odd mistake myself!
        Surely you´re mistaken there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Surely you´re mistaken there?
          Yes, I've just realized that was a terrible error, Christer. Obvioulsy, I'm completely infallible. Well...sort of

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post

I enjoyed Trow's book, and to be fair, it's mainly accurate, and unlike the book under discussion, it avoids being too speculative. However, this case is extremely complex and an absolute minefield for the unwary particularly, as Debra points out, as there are a number of errors in the press reports. In fact, I've even been known to make the odd mistake myself!
            That's why we need a factual book on the who, what, where and when from an authority on the subject *cough*Debs*cough*

Comment

• Ive got the title for it- "In the Shadow of Jack: The Thames Torso Killer"
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Ive got the title for it- "In the Shadow of Jack: The Thames Torso Killer"
                "A Social Construct of Criminal Dismemberment in the Late Nineteenth Century: A Post-Modernity Viewpoint."

Or perhaps something slightly more technical!
                Last edited by John G; 06-17-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  Ive got the title for it- "In the Shadow of Jack: The Thames Torso Killer"
                  "Assault and Battersea"
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

"Assault and Battersea"
                    Murderous urges - he couldn’t Rainham in.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Murderous urges - he couldn’t Rainham in.
                      oh that was bad. yours too Sam. LOL

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Just been watching an episode of Michael Portillo's Hidden History of Britain concerning the now sadly abandoned London Hospital, which contained a section on Joseph Merrick, and also a bit on the Ripper, including an interview with Drew Gray.
                        He didn't mention anything about torsos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                          Just been watching an episode of Michael Portillo's Hidden History of Britain concerning the now sadly abandoned London Hospital, which contained a section on Joseph Merrick, and also a bit on the Ripper, including an interview with Drew Gray.
                          He didn't mention anything about torsos.
                          Abandoned London hospital? Sounds creepy and a cool place to sneak into. Bet there’s lots of ghosts.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Last night I finished reading Jack and the Thames Torso Murders (from my local library) Is Hardiman a realistic candidate? No. Not by any stretch of the imagination. There’s not a shred to connect him to the case. Gray has simply plucked out a person that was drawing breath at the time and then used more leaps the Jonathan Edwards to shoehorn him into place. You could get backache trying to follow his twisted logic. I’m sorry but this isn’t an honest book. I struggle to believe that the author actually believes any of it.

Hardiman sits very near to the bottom of the pile of ripper candidates.

The field is still open for a detailed, honest appraisal of the Torso Murders as Gray barely attempted to convince that Jack and the TK were one and the same.

Come on Fish and Debra.....a joint venture maybe?
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Was there any acknowledgement of the pioneering work of Rob Hills re: Hardiman (see post #69)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                                Was there any acknowledgement of the pioneering work of Rob Hills re: Hardiman (see post #69)?
                                Yes he gets 3 mentions along with Adrian Stockton.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
                                X