Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? by Drew Gray and Andrew Wise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? by Drew Gray and Andrew Wise

    The book is due on 15th June 2019, and I'm sure will be on the reading list of many people on these boards.
    Here is a little taster of the book courtesy of Google Books.

    It is encouraging that in the Acknowledgements, the authors reference many experts in the field.

    https://books.google.nl/books?id=u8G...per%3F&f=false

  • #2
    On a quick skim through, I went from Chapter 1 with its last paragraphs discussing the labyrinth around Dorset and Thrawl St, to "Chapter 2: Dreadful Discovery at Rainham"... that being Rainham, Essex, of course. The geographical lurch I felt in merely moving from one page to the next vividly illustrated the problem I have with the idea of a single Torso Murderer, never mind a single "Torsoripper".

    I saw many good things in the book, which should be an interesting read, my caveats and cavils about the "Torsoripper" notwithstanding.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

    "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      On a quick skim through, I went from Chapter 1 with its last paragraphs discussing the labyrinth around Dorset and Thrawl St, to "Chapter 2: Dreadful Discovery at Rainham"... that being Rainham, Essex, of course. The geographical lurch I felt in merely moving from one page to the next vividly illustrated the problem I have with the idea of a single Torso Murderer, never mind a single "Torsoripper".

      I saw many good things in the book, which should be an interesting read, my caveats and cavils about the "Torsoripper" notwithstanding.
      Wait did you buy already? I thought it’s not available for a few days?
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

      -Edgar Allan Poe


      "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

      -Frederick G. Abberline

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

        Wait did you buy already? I thought it’s not available for a few days?
        I had a quick look at the Google Books preview barnflatwyngarde posted above. It's a "teaser", not the full book just yet
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

        "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

          I had a quick look at the Google Books preview barnflatwyngarde posted above. It's a "teaser", not the full book just yet
          The preview appears to give away the suspect.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

            The preview appears to give away the suspect.
            Yes indeedy. Luckily from my POV, I won't be approaching the book from the "suspectology" angle; it's the historical info I'm interested in.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

            "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Yes indeedy. Luckily from my POV, I won't be approaching the book from the "suspectology" angle; it's the historical info I'm interested in.
              From what I can gather, Drew is saying the suspect was a Harrison, Barber employee.

              That’s the aspect that will engage my interest.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                From what I can gather, Drew is saying the suspect was a Harrison, Barber employee.

                That’s the aspect that will engage my interest.
                Where are you guys finding all this stuff in the link/ preview !?!? I see a paragraph summary but that’s it, what am I missing??
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

                -Edgar Allan Poe


                "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                -Frederick G. Abberline

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

                  Where are you guys finding all this stuff in the link/ preview !?!? I see a paragraph summary but that’s it, what am I missing??
                  Hi Abby,

                  The link provided brings me to the books notes. When I scroll back up past the notes and the images, the text comes into view.

                  Gary

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                    From what I can gather, Drew is saying the suspect was a Harrison, Barber employee.

                    That’s the aspect that will engage my interest.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if it was, Gary!
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                    "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      James Hardiman is the book's suspect

                      https://www.casebook.org/ripper_medi...morley/79.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                        From what I can gather, Drew is saying the suspect was a Harrison, Barber employee.

                        That’s the aspect that will engage my interest.
                        I don't recall his name at Winthrop street Gary, or was it somewhere else.

                        Steve

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

                          Where are you guys finding all this stuff in the link/ preview !?!? I see a paragraph summary but that’s it, what am I missing??
                          When I advanced ordered the paperback version from Amazon a chapter preview appeared in my Kindle!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i just tried to order from Amazon and its saying its not available til sept 1st? WTF?!
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

                            -Edgar Allan Poe


                            "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                            -Frederick G. Abberline

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              i just tried to order from Amazon and its saying its not available til sept 1st? WTF?!
                              This is odd, Abby. Amazon UK release date is 15th June, but Amazon US (.com) isn't until September.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X