Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York. 1891

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find a map of New York from the time of Carry Browns death?

Or any photos of the area, again around her death?

Many thanks.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

I am sure someone here must have a map of New York from 1891?

Thanks
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

I'm sure I have none.
      And don't want any.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for letting me know.

Yours truly
        Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

This is the only, cannot realy call it a map, but a map of New York.
          Attached Files
          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

The link below should be worth a look regarding 19th century maps of New York

Find out why Stony Brook University has become an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world. Explore programs and degrees offered for endless career opportunities. Start your journey in education today!

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks alot.
              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

News

Here are some news articals featuring "Old Shakespears" death.
                Attached Files
                Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Just for reference, I still want to see any maps or photos from New York city in 1891 and surrounding dates.

Thanks
                  Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thanks for the articles, Corey.

Try this link for a map. It's the fourth ward in 1891. You should be able to zoom in and go to the southeast corner of Water St and Catherine Slip. To the right of the Brooklyn Bridge approach.

Roy

ps let me know if that doesn't work and I'll just snag it and put it up.
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hello Roy,

Thank you, it does work, and I appriciate it, and your welcome.

Many thanks!

Well worth the wait, have a good evening.
                      Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Easst River Hotel

Simple map shows the location near the East River slips.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	NY4.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	661589

1891 Closeup of corner of Catharine at Water St.
                        Notice the "market" in the middle of Catharine.

Name:	Cathand Water.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	661590

View from the north With ships in the backgound.
                        Location of East River Hotel pointed out.

Name:	catharine-market.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	661591
                        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Wasn't Brown staying in room #31? If so, do we know where it was in the building? I would guess that it was on the floor just visible above the roof of the market. Perhaps I'm totally off.
                          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hello Roy,

Many thanks indeed, I truly appriciate these.

Stan,

I don't know, however Wolf Vanderlinden, if still around, probably knows.

I know Ben Ali A.K.A "frenchy" lived at No.33

Edit: Stan, yes she lived at No.31

Last Edit: From the New York Affair Part-One- Vanderlinden:

The reporters were able to freely interview witnesses, such as Miniter, and were allowed to tramp over the crime scene and examine all of the other rooms on the fifth floor. Outside of Room No. 31 they were either shown, or found themselves, two pieces of blood evidence. A bowl of bloody water, as if someone had washed blood off their hands, was discovered in Room No. 32 (this was never explained nor linked to the murder) and blood was found on the scuttle, or small trap door, leading to the roof of the building. As no one had seen “C. Kniclo” exit from the hotel it was supposed that he had escaped to the roof and from there either climbed down or entered the adjoining building from which he exited.
                            Last edited by corey123; 01-23-2011, 02:01 AM.
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

From the Evening Post, Volume XLI, Issue 115, 16 May 1891, Page 2

Also seen in the Star, May 16, 1891

Also, the Feilding Star, May 16, under the title of "The New York "Jack the Ripper"
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by corey123; 01-24-2011, 01:15 AM.
                              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                              X