Miller's Court after Kelly...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christian View Post
    Prior to redevelopment original Dorset street is marked in red the rest is self explanatory ! An old thread off here
    YOU ARE CORRECT.
    I also found an old message from 2011 about a petition that was made to save the site:

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
    I'm torn on this one. The line of Dorset Street still exists, sort of, but it's been shifted to the north and, the last I heard, access to the current service road is often barred by a locked gate. In any event, I've always found this to be the most disappointing of the C5 sites: I never got much of a sense of place, or time, by looking at that chipped curb stone. And, whatever building they're planning, it would have to be really ugly to be uglier than the car park.
    Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post

I've signed petitions about, or objections to, the destruction of other East End sites, but this one was ruined so long ago that I'm not sure it's worth the effort to save what little is left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian View Post
      Prior to redevelopment original Dorset street is marked in red the rest is self explanatory ! An old thread off here
      Thanks Christian and Sam! This makes sense now.
      Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

• Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

Thanks Christian and Sam! This makes sense now.
        Pleasure sir

Comment

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post

YOU ARE CORRECT.
          I also found an old message from 2011 about a petition that was made to save the site
          …..so instead of digging it up and building right over it, they just widened it.

Comment

• I've been busy searching every Victorian East London site searching for relevant photographs and I found this one on immigration:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	boundary_street_1890.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	712507
            THE LINK IS TITLED BOUNDARY STREET 1890
            but it looks very much like Dorset Street. Where on a map is Boundary Street?

Comment

• Boundary Street was in Shoreditch, about half a mile north of "Dorset Street".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boundary St.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	712555

There's some evidence that Polly Nichols lodged there at some point. See the testimony of Jane "Oran" (actually Oram) in the press report linked below:

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I've been busy searching every Victorian East London site searching for relevant photographs and I found this one on immigration:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	boundary_street_1890.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	712507
                THE LINK IS TITLED BOUNDARY STREET 1890
                but it looks very much like Dorset Street. Where on a map is Boundary Street?
                But Leanne, that picture is a dead end alley, Dorset Street is a thoroughfare (a through street). You might think it looks like Millers Court, but even that would be debatable, as it clearly isn't.
                As a period photograph, it is a good one, and the house at the left looks similar to how No.26 looked.

And, as a minor point of trivia. That (above) is how I perceived room 13 looking before that doorway was (in my opinion) bricked up to make a smaller window. The actual door used by Kelly was probably a side window, originally.

Last edited by Wickerman; 06-08-2019, 12:21 PM.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Hi
                  There were lots of streets in East London which looked similar to Dorset street, however there was only one that was , and that is pictured all over Casebook.

Comment

• Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

INTERESTING!

Comment

• ALSO INTERESTING:
                      Sunday morning in the East End market.This fascinating film provides an authentic view of London's East End from over a hundred years ago. Flat-capped men fl...

Comment

ALSO INTERESTING:
                        Sunday morning in the East End market.This fascinating film provides an authentic view of London's East End from over a hundred years ago. Flat-capped men fl...
                        I’ve always wondered who the Freddy Mercury lookalike in the stripy jacket was.

Could it possibly be Arthur Harding’s sworn enemy, Isaac Bogard?

Comment

• MOST INTERESTING:
                          An official film on the need for public housing in Hackney and its provision. The film documents slum clearing and re-housing by the Council of the Metropoli...

Comment

• Good finds, Leanne.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

I’ve always wondered who the Freddy Mercury lookalike in the stripy jacket was.

Could it possibly be Arthur Harding’s sworn enemy, Isaac Bogard?

This is Arthur Harding's description of Bogard:

'He was very flamboyant. He dressed like a cowboy. It was before the cowboys on the pictures, y'know. He used to wear a big open shirt, like a woman's blouse, and a flash belt with something stuck in a case. It wasn't illegal to carry a gun at the time; he used to carry a big weapon stuck down his belt: a big Panama hat on - he was quite a character in his way.'

Comment

• London's East End 1900s - 1930s purchase DVD at http://www.timereel.co.uk/products/londons-east-end-1900s-1930s/The East End in 1900 a world of cobbled stree...

Comment

Working...
                                X