Mary Jane was murdered between 09.00 and 10.30 am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I think a shop on Thrawl Street was found that was an all-night eatery which could have sold fish & potato pie.
    From the evidence that exists it doesn't appear Blotchy brought any supper with him, and it doesn't seem like Astrachan carried supper around looking for someone to share it with.
    Which tends to suggest Kelly used whatever she earned that night to go out later and treat herself to a slap-up meal.
    Mrs Kennedy claimed to see Kelly out about 3:00am, but posters tend to dismiss this sighting for a variety of reason's.
    Well, Kelly had to get that supper from somewhere, somehow.
    Hi Wick.

Couldn't she have gotten a meal right at McCarthy's shop?

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post

Hi Wick.

Quiet possible, except would he sell to her rather than say “ O.K. I’ll take it off your rent arrears”.

and would he need to send His man to ask for rent.

So I suspect another shop may be a better bet.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

These people tend to live from hand to mouth. What they earn they spend and eat right away. Besides, leftovers would be digested in minutes.
        Ah, so no drunk Eastender ever bought fish and chips, crashed out before eating it and had it for breakfast the next day?

You learn so much from the experts on here.

Comment

Hi Wick.

Did McCarthy do fish and chips?

Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-18-2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Did McCarthy do fish and chips?
            He did late night snacks for sure. Not certain about fish and chips though, Gary. I recall someone saying he catered to the Jewish community.
            Last edited by jerryd; 05-18-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

Quiet possible, except would he sell to her rather than say “ O.K. I’ll take it off your rent arrears”.

and would he need to send His man to ask for rent.

So I suspect another shop may be a better bet.
              Or could that possibly prompt the rent inquiry?

Bowyer: Mary came by for supper last night, G'vner. Said, put it on her tab.
              McCarthy: Better go collect the rent in the mornin, she's way behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi wick
                lord orsam wrote an article on the various kelly sightings in the morning analizing all the various press reports, witnesses etc. including lewis and maxwell and sorts it all out if i recall correctly. did you read it?
                i couldnt find it on his website, but maybe someone could dig it up whos better at this stuff.

I don't recall the article and maybe I'm way off base, but could you be remembering a thread started by 'Pierre'?

Let there be light! - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums

Comment

Hi Wick.

Possibly, did they even sell hot food?
                  Besides, wouldn't McCarthy have insisted she puts whatever she had towards the arrears?

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Ah, so no drunk Eastender ever bought fish and chips, crashed out before eating it and had it for breakfast the next day?

Some do learn not to stretch a point....
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

He did late night snacks for sure. Not certain about fish and chips though, Gary. I recall someone saying he catered to the Jewish community.
                      McCarty's was called a Chandler, so sells candles, but we know that already.
                      Another account says 'he sells provisions', not much help.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

By the account of Isaac Lewis Jacobs, we know some food items were provided by McCarthy late at night. At least in July of 1889 when Alice McKenzie was murdered.

Comment

Wicks! Surely you don’t believe a LVP East End ‘chandlers’ shop was so called because it sold candles.

Comment

Wicks! Surely you don’t believe a LVP East End ‘chandlers’ shop was so called because it sold candles.
                            No, the name is just an indication of the type of small wares he sold. Corner shops had to trade in bits of everyday nick-nacks.
                            Besides, we should use a contemporary dictionary as words can change over the centuries.

Dictionary, 1881.

What the 'provisions' were is anyone's guess, hot or cold?

The McCarthy's were interviewed by police so if they had sold Kelly fish, they had every opportunity to make that clear.
                            Last edited by Wickerman; 05-19-2021, 02:07 AM.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Gary,

My daughter regularly breakfasts on leftover take-aways from the night before, whether it's fish and chips, kebab, Chinese, pizza or Indian. Helps with a hangover too.

Throwing up after a 'large' evening often provides instant relief from a hangover and can leave the sufferer starving hungry.

I'm torn between Blotchy providing their fish and potato supper, which they tucked into on the way back to her room, or the killer treating MJK to a hangover cure for her last breakfast.

If the killer bought the food, that would explain why nobody reported selling it to Mary, either in the evening or the following morning.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Last edited by caz; 05-19-2021, 02:27 PM.
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Hi Gary,

My daughter regularly breakfasts on leftover take-aways from the night before, whether it's fish and chips, kebab, Chinese, pizza or Indian. Helps with a hangover too.

Throwing up after a 'large' evening often provides instant relief from a hangover and can leave the sufferer starving hungry.

I'm torn between Blotchy providing their fish and potato supper, which they tucked into on the way back to her room, or the killer treating MJK to a hangover cure for her last breakfast.

If the killer bought the food, that would explain why nobody reported selling it to Mary, either in the evening or the following morning.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                Haven't we all, but then again, neither your family nor mine were at the social level of Kelly & the rest of her kind. 'Leftovers'?, some could only dream of such luxuries.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X