Victim solitary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least according to Barnett.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Of course there's a question if she actually ever set foot in France.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Of course there's a question if she actually ever set foot in France.
        Barnett isnt the source for the reminicinces of a Marie Jeanette Stan, I think the fact that someone else suggests they knew her using that French conversion of her name makes it highly likely she did so to mingle with French people. Unless of course that was her "thing" at the brothel..in which case it might be a reason for utilizing her as a consort when traveling to France.

Just sayin....

Cheers Stan

Comment

• Those all have to be considerations.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I suspect that the French speaking population of Whitechapel was pretty small.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Ironic perhaps, bearing in mind that until the influx of East European Jews, the French descended weaving community may well have been one of the East End's largest "immigrant" populations...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                I suspect that the French speaking population of Whitechapel was pretty small.
                If you count anyone born in France as being French-speaking, which seems reasonable, there were certainly a few. Obvious example Paul Alexandre Cadosch, 27, Hanbury Street (born Arras) & Charles Albert Cadosch (born Paris).
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Thanks for informing me Bridewell. I didn't recall that.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    Ironic perhaps, bearing in mind that until the influx of East European Jews, the French descended weaving community may well have been one of the East End's largest "immigrant" populations...

All the best

Dave
                    Then maybe it was a natural for Kelly.

Stan Reid

Comment

• France

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                      Barnett isnt the source for the reminicinces of a Marie Jeanette Stan, I think the fact that someone else suggests they knew her using that French conversion of her name makes it highly likely she did so to mingle with French people. Unless of course that was her "thing" at the brothel..in which case it might be a reason for utilizing her as a consort when traveling to France.

Just sayin....

Cheers Stan
                      Hello Michael,

She was reportedly taken to France by a "gentleman" but didn't like it there so came back more or less straight away. Certainly not there long enough to learn french. Provided the story was true, that is. Had she remained for any length of time, she would most probably have found it very difficult to leave. Girls were entrapped in brothels and were in effect prisoners there (see Henry Mayhew).

Best wishes,
                      C4
                      Last edited by curious4; 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• That makes sense C4.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't see the point in going to France unless there was some premium placed on British women that I don't know about.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Maybe there was a premium on Irish women.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Or maybe Mary had hopes of passing herself as French.

Stan Reid

Comment

• One of the C5 spoke a foreign language - that's all we can say for sure.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X