Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Mitre Square to Goulston Street - Some thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

IThis is perhaps my biggest pet peeve with many writers on the case. They disregard what they consider inconvenient.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    Personally do not understand why people think GSG was aimed at the Jews.

Seems JtR was taunting the police,by informing them that he murdered "Nothing".

Incidentally,the apron was luring attention away from Mitre Square,while JtR was heading toward 13 Millers Court.

By the way Tom,if you clear your PMs,I'd like to contact you regarding your interest in my research
    Last edited by DJA; 03-30-2023, 07:12 PM.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• [The graffito were] evidently written with the intention of inflaming the public mind against the Jews,... but after taking into consideration... the strong feeling which had been excited against the Jews,... I considered it desirable to obliterate the writing at once, having taken a copy of which I enclose a duplicate... I do not hesitate myself to say that if that writing had been left there would have have been an onslaught upon the Jews... I have no doubt myself whatever that one of the principal objects of the Reward offered by Mr. Montagu was to shew to the world that the Jews were desirous of having the Hanbury Street Murder cleared up, and thus to divert from them the very strong feeling which was then growing up...

[enclosure]

The Jewes are
      The men that
      Will not
      be Blamed
      for nothing

(SIR CHARLES WARREN)

Comment

• Thanks for your help PI1.
        We have someone with surgical skill and knowledge of anatomy running around with chalk at the start of the teaching term.
        He is about 5'3" tall (sic).
        And the cops remove his very neat handwriting
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

I agree Sunny Delight it means the GSG could have been written by someone who was Jewish or someone not Jewish. So basically anyone. Also it could have been written by Jack the Ripper or not
          I am not saying PC Long was incorrect but nor can we say he was indeed correct. So it is an open question. The fact that the graffitti was written down differently by others leaves doubt over his competence. I think it is highly significant if PC Long was correct and the Apron was not there at 2:20am. That would mean the one real clue we have on the Rippers direction of travel after a murder is incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Delight View Post

I am not saying PC Long was incorrect but nor can we say he was indeed correct. So it is an open question. The fact that the graffitti was written down differently by others leaves doubt over his competence. I think it is highly significant if PC Long was correct and the Apron was not there at 2:20am. That would mean the one real clue we have on the Rippers direction of travel after a murder is incorrect.
            Hi Sunny Delight. Yes I agree with what you're saying. I think for the reasons you state we can't really draw any definitive conclusions from the GSG or the apron.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
              [The graffito were] evidently written with the intention of inflaming the public mind against the Jews,... but after taking into consideration... the strong feeling which had been excited against the Jews,... I considered it desirable to obliterate the writing at once, having taken a copy of which I enclose a duplicate... I do not hesitate myself to say that if that writing had been left there would have have been an onslaught upon the Jews... I have no doubt myself whatever that one of the principal objects of the Reward offered by Mr. Montagu was to shew to the world that the Jews were desirous of having the Hanbury Street Murder cleared up, and thus to divert from them the very strong feeling which was then growing up...

[enclosure]

The Jewes are
              The men that
              Will not
              be Blamed
              for nothing

(SIR CHARLES WARREN)
              Would it have been erased if there was no association with the murder I wonder?
              Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

• Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

Would it have been erased if there was no association with the murder I wonder?

Would Warren have written what he wrote if he had thought it likely that the murderer was a Jew?

That makes five senior men - Abberline, Macnaghten, Smith, Reid, and Warren - who were all of the opinion that the murderer was a gentile, and yet Anderson claimed that he and all those investigating the murders came to the conclusion that the murderer was a Jew at a time when they had no Jewish suspect.

What Anderson wrote was evidently untrue.

Comment

I am not saying PC Long was incorrect but nor can we say he was indeed correct. So it is an open question. The fact that the graffitti was written down differently by others leaves doubt over his competence.
                  I'm not sure how you arrive at that, you must be aware that Warren wrote that he went to Goulston St. and before it was wiped off he wrote his own copy - "..having taken a copy of which I enclose a duplicate..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	235
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	807995

This copy was found among the official files, the wording is identical with PC Long's version.

I think it is highly significant if PC Long was correct and the Apron was not there at 2:20am. That would mean the one real clue we have on the Rippers direction of travel after a murder is incorrect.
                  Yes, it is very likely the case.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• The presence of the apron piece is still a clue that the murderer travelled to Spitalfields following the murder in Mitre Square.

It also suggests that he lived near Goulston Street.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I'm not sure how you arrive at that, you must be aware that Warren wrote that he went to Goulston St. and before it was wiped off he wrote his own copy - "..having taken a copy of which I enclose a duplicate..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	235
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	807995

This copy was found among the official files, the wording is identical with PC Long's version.

Yes, it is very likely the case.
                      Yes I am aware of that. I had initially read it in the way that it was a copy of what had been written down by PC Long?

Comment

Yes I am aware of that. I had initially read it in the way that it was a copy of what had been written down by PC Long?
                        Warren's report, dated 6 Nov. can be found in the "Ultimate" (p.183), the quote I used is taken directly from that report.
                        He writes that he made his own copy at the site. A number of theorists have used that copy to suggest how the wording was placed on the various bricks as opposed to being written in two continuous lines.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Warren's report, dated 6 Nov. can be found in the "Ultimate" (p.183), the quote I used is taken directly from that report.
                          He writes that he made his own copy at the site. A number of theorists have used that copy to suggest how the wording was placed on the various bricks as opposed to being written in two continuous lines.
                          Well then PC Long is very much co-orborated by the most senior Policeman in Whitechapel and that does change things.

Comment

Well then PC Long is very much co-orborated by the most senior Policeman in Whitechapel and that does change things.
                            It might be of interest to us all if someone knows where we can find a document written & signed by Warren so we can compare handwriting.
                            Not to say we are professionals at that, but in many cases it is not difficult to see where major differences or similarities exist.
                            See if someone is up for the challenge?
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That is right - and the only issue left is exactly how the word Jews was mis-spelled.

The fact that it was mis-spelled, however, should rule out Gull, Sickert, Druitt, and Albert Victor - even in the event they did not have alibis.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

That is right - and the only issue left is exactly how the word Jews was mis-spelled.

The fact that it was mis-spelled, however, should rule out Gull, Sickert, Druitt, and Albert Victor - even in the event they did not have alibis.
                                It's quite possible that the coroner had a copy of Warren's note, which might explain why he pressed PC Long about the spelling of Jews.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X