Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Mitre Square to Goulston Street - Some thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I meant

I am as yet unpersuaded that Jack didn't cut himself, an unanticipated occurrence requiring an adhoc solution, and use the apron piece to stem the flow until it had stopped...

instead of

I am as yet unpersuaded that Jack didn't cut himself, an unanticipated occurrence requiring an adhoc solution, and used the apron piece to stem the flow until it had stopped...

Otherwise, some readers might think you meant

I am as yet unpersuaded that Jack ... used the apron piece to stem the flow until it had stopped...

which is not what you meant.
    Ahh, I see. You're correct. That's not what I meant. Thank you.

Cheers, George
    They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
    Out of a misty dream
    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
    Within a dream.
    Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

The only evidence we have of business being conducted at around the time of the murder in that area is of a rough man who had the appearance of a sailor being charmed by a woman who had her hand on his chest in a passage off Duke Street that led to Mitre Square.
      The only evidence you have there is a couple standing at the corner of a passage. That does happen for reasons that have nothing to do with the intent you're suggesting.

You're basing this on Joseph Levy thinking they were 'up to no good'. Firstly, that is Joseph's intuition, assuming Joseph wasn't proven to hold supernatural powers that enabled him to predict the future. Secondly, 'up to no good' could quite easily have meant something outside of the intent you're suggesting.

In fact, according to other reports from the inquest, Joseph said more:

I don't like going home by myself when I see these sort of characters about.

In the event we are to believe other newspapers' reporting of the inquest, then it would suggest that Joseph was concerned for his welfare, which is unlikely to have been induced from a belief that prostitution was about to take place but rather that a mugging could be in the offing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

In the event we are to believe other newspapers' reporting of the inquest, then it would suggest that Joseph was concerned for his welfare, which is unlikely to have been induced from a belief that prostitution was about to take place but rather that a mugging could be in the offing.

There is no reason to suppose that Levy was afraid that the woman with the bonnet might attack him.

He may, however, have been worried that the man - who was described by Lawende as rough-looking - might attack him, or that others like him might be about at such a late hour and they might attack him.

He did say that he was rarely out later than 11 p.m.

There really is no reason to think that the woman was doing anything other than soliciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

Maybe that is why he got rid of the apron piece. He sees Harvey coming towards him so casually drops the incriminating evidence.
          I'm not sure the police beat logistics and so on would work for PC Harvey, but it's possible that someone came along and that meant dropping the apron was a good idea.

Personally, I'd got for: he was far enough away from the crime scene, there was nobody around, and he took the opportunity to pause and get himself together for the walk home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

I'm not sure the police beat logistics and so on would work for PC Harvey, but it's possible that someone came along and that meant dropping the apron was a good idea.

Personally, I'd got for: he was far enough away from the crime scene, there was nobody around, and he took the opportunity to pause and get himself together for the walk home.
            Makes perfect sense. Could even have been taken as a trophy in itself only for him to change his mind about it on the way home.
            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
            X