The Diary—Old Hoax or New?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike and c.d.,

We lived in the States (NE Ohio) for a few years, way back when. I very quickly learned that Bud is the vilest muck ever to see the inside of a bottle. After much trial and testing, the American beer I found best suited to my highly-refined palate was Genesee Cream Ale (spelling?). However, I guzzled it just slightly chilled, not Arctic cold, and to my immense pleasure turned on a few of my closest American friends to the more refined manners of getting pissed. There was a beer shop down the road (owned by a highly-knowledgeable retired cop) and he kept a few beers from around the globe, including to my utmost amazement and terrific pleasure, an entire crate of Marston's Pedigree. The beer that made Burton great, and me sloshed. I hear that there are now micro-breweries dotted around the USA, producing quaff similar to European beers. Good luck to them.

These days, in my dotage, I find that real ale gives me terrific wind, upsetting the wife and scaring the cat, so I drink mostly lighter stuff, always out of bottles, and my current slurp is San Miguel which is widely available. I do like trying out 'new' continental beers, though.

Cheers!

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Eliza View Post
      Too much to quote ...
      Hi Eliza,

Your long post reply to Caz is very revealing. I would estimate that you are in your early 20s, right? I say this because of your extraordinary use of the term 'Age of Ancestry.com' for the year 1992. To be specific, you couldn't have used Ancestry.com in Liverpool until around 1997, but - to be general - even then you'd have had to wait for the common application of the internet which probably wasn't available for most people until a few years after that. I vaguely recall getting my first broadband in about 2000, although you could use a dial-up service, of course, which I very much doubt the Barretts would have been investing heavily in during 1992. The internet was a boon to me in my profession, and yet we only got it (dial-up) at home in Iconoclast House in 1998.

Your long post was also full of assumptions which seemed to be heavily driven by your personal view of the world. This is fine, of course - we all do it - but we shouldn't confuse our assumptions about 'what I would have done' with 'what everyone else would have done'. Caz et alia knew Mike Barrett personally and that gave them a deep insight into the man and his many demons. His reasons for making a false confession were absolutely personal to him and those of us who did not know him should be wary of jumping to assumptions based upon what we find credulous and what we find not. There doesn't seem to be any doubt that Mike Barrett was deeply out-of-his-depth when he brought the scrapbook to London. His cack-handed discussion on the return journey with a stranger who turned out to be a journalist in which he couldn't help but reveal what he had in his possession (this incident ultimately led to the early revelation of the scrapbook's foil - James Maybrick - by the Liverpool Post in the Spring of 1993) indicates to us his immature, excitable, and unprofessional mentality - certainly not the mind of a brilliant master-forger. The Feldman video shows him to be effectively bewildered by the maelstrom he had unleased upon himself and his family. By 1995, with his marriage finally collapsing around him and the realisation dawning upon him that he had lost his precious daughter, the bewilderment - prompted by the booze - appears to have fermented into anger and an angry person will lash out with anything at anything. As I look in (from the outside) I do not see the obstacles you see. I see a simple man losing his slender grip on what he had left in his life, and making a false confession about the scrapbook could easily have been a last desperate hurrah to maintain his position within the maelstrom. If he was suffering from confabulation or any dementia-related illness, this would have simply redefined his actions - to him - as the truth of the matter, just as his eventual good health again appears to have prompted 'the truth' to be the original story which he had first told back in 1992.

I am heavily influenced by the man I see in the Feldman video, the man I read about in the seminal texts, the Radio Merseyside broadcast from 1995, his performance at the Cloak & Dagger Club in 1999, and the ongoing iteration of the views thus formed by those who knew Mike best and who come on here and tell us to be careful not to inflate his possible role in the scrapbook's history. Unless we have reason to feel a host of published authors with no apparent history of lying have collectively created a monster out of an angel, we should all listen to what they have to say about the man at the centre of the storm he probably had no idea he was making.

PS I think I have asked you this question before so please forgive me, but can you remind us which books you have read to date on the Maybrick scrapbook?

Cheers,

Ike
      Last edited by Iconoclast; 08-15-2019, 09:34 AM.
      Iconoclast
      Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Purkis View Post

Good to see he's taking his ban, sorry, his 'resignation' from the 'Censorship Forum' well.
        To be fair to Lord Orsam, he has a frightful grasp of the wider information. There's barely a scrap of information which he is not capable of expanding through whatever means he has at his disposal. A good example is the 'Who is Jim?' newspaper article which did not conclusively prove it wasn't Our Jim it was referring to but certainly made it less likely to be him.

Where he lets himself down is in his terrible grasp of statistics (which I will be taking him up on in Society's Pillar eventually), his rather pompous tone (I much prefer his witty arrogance than his condescending ranting), and the self-evident fact that he simply criticises everything (and I mean everything)! One's argument is generally strengthened when one recognises the merit in a counter-argument. It gives credibility to the criticism, but the good Lord just criticises everything without pause for breath and - for me - it undermines his argument rather than reinforces it. Surely not every single thing I (for example) have written is utter mince? Maybe it is, but I feel that over the years I must have got something right occasionally. You'd just never know it from the hissing and screeching from Voldemort in the corner.

That said, I actually like him. I loved the sentiment behind Send in the Clowns (though I still haven't arsed myself to read it fully), and without him this Maybrick forum would be largely dead in the water. Certainly, it would have longer periods of stagnancy. If there was any way Admin would consider letting him back on, I'd say Aye for one.

Obviously, we'd make it clear to Admin that this was a strictly one-off instance.

Cheers,

Ike
        Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
          To be fair to Lord Orsam, he has a frightful grasp of the wider information.
          Hello Ike!

Indeed, great detective work by Lordy Orsam

How did he get his hands on those personal letters between mike and anne?

For me they prove Mike WAS capable of 'writing a sick note'.....before he succumbed to alcohol abuse and quite likely a form of dementia.

Comment

If there was any way Admin would consider letting him back on, I'd say Aye for one.

Obviously, we'd make it clear to Admin that this was a strictly one-off instance.

Can't see this happening, if memory serves he made personal threats to admin.

Comment

• . Surely not every single thing I (for example) have written is utter mince?
              Never heard that one before Ike.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post

Can't see this happening, if memory serves he made personal threats to admin.
                One would have to imagine that would be a rate-limiting step in the process of his rehabilitation, right enough ...
                Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Never heard that one before Ike.
                  Och aye tha noo Herlock, ma pal - it's an auld Scottish expression. I'm sure it's evident whit it means, ken?
                  Iconoclast

Comment

• Have recently started to re-read my Ripper books - and I have dozens and dozens of them. In Shirley Harrison's 'The Diary Of Jack The Ripper' she mentions a murder that took place in Battlecrease at some point prior to the Maybricks moving in. Anybody know anything about this? Must have completely slipped my memory (not difficult to do these days).

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Och aye tha noo Herlock, ma pal - it's an auld Scottish expression. I'm sure it's evident whit it means, ken?
                      I like that one Ike. My gran was Scottish but I don’t recall her eve using it,
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Have recently started to re-read my Ripper books - and I have dozens and dozens of them. In Shirley Harrison's 'The Diary Of Jack The Ripper' she mentions a murder that took place in Battlecrease at some point prior to the Maybricks moving in. Anybody know anything about this? Must have completely slipped my memory (not difficult to do these days).

Graham
                        yeah it was the ripper! ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

yeah it was the ripper! ; )
                          Really? How utterly fascinating! Do tell us more!

Graham

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            Orsam = Awesome. It's a homophone.
                            Interesting. I think it only works like that in the U.K., though. I never got the pun, and always believed Orsam to be a charming British surname.
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

• Lord Orsam does have other names, too, Pat...

Graham

Comment

• You're not overly fond of David Orsam are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X