No announcement yet.

Hutch Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The matter of the Abberline photograph is quite different, in that we had a well-known drawing of Abberline in "Toby" magazine which, if overlaid onto the Leman Street station group photo, pointed strongly to the magazine artist basing his sketch on an actual photograph of Abberline. To that extent, questioning the source material becomes somewhat irrelevant. At the very least, the "Toby" sketch may be corroborated in some way by an existing, near-contemporary photograph.

The only problem being, Sam, is that there exists considerable uncertainty as to which member of the Leman Street assemblage was actually Abberline – if indeed he was present at all.
    I hardly think that the Penny Illustrated and its ilk can be considered as containing faithful sketches of the protagonists, Garry.

In which case, Sam, if you’d care to check the following image, you’ll find the sketch of Hutchinson is situated almost directly beneath a pen portrait that you accept to have constituted a good likeness of Abberline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Abberline3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	658250

As a point of clarification, Sam, I have never argued that the illustrated newspapers presented ‘faithful sketches of the protagonists’. I have merely stated it as my belief that the Hutchinson image was liable to have been a reasonable likeness of the man. If, on the other hand, there is evidence to support the notion of generic representations of witnesses, policemen or ‘East End geezers’, I would welcome the opportunity to evaluate it.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Obviously, Toppy's head is too long for that Hutch.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post

I don’t think it unreasonable to suppose that this ‘man of military bearing’ might have dressed up for the occasion, wearing his Sunday best bowler or billycock hat, and that this was the image captured by an attendant sketch artist. Of course, it is even possible that the hat depicted in the sketch is indeed a wideawake.

]
        Hi Garry and all,

I'm just back from the thread "Seeing Sarah..." from the rich and unforgettable Hutchinson collection... and it's even simpler than that.

It seems that "Wideawake hat" in our 1888 context, actually refers to "Billycock hats".

They were almost synonimous, the "Mormon-type" wideawake being a special type, but certainly most unusual in the East End. Better forget it!
        http://forum.casebook.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=31

Hutch's hat, in the sketch, could therefore be both described as a wideawake and a billycock.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Absolutely, Dave. And, just to add to the confusion, there was a wideawake that had a broader brim in the style of the trilby.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

there exists considerable uncertainty as to which member of the Leman Street assemblage was actually Abberline – if indeed he was present at all.
            Hi Garry

No considerable uncertainty at all, have a look from post 27 :

Comment

I followed the thread in question, Jon, and very interesting it was too. But given the poor quality of the group photograph along with the uncertainty as to whether Abberline was actually in attendance, we are left with an intriguing possibility rather than unassailable proof of identity, I’m afraid.

All the best.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Hi Jon and Garry,

May I remark that the question of Hutch's identity and appearance is a bit more relevant than Abberline's features...
                No Mormon-like hats on a Ripper suspect, that's what came out of this thread, imo, it having shifted from Hutch photo to Hutch sketch.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

[FONT=Verdana]
                  In which case, Sam, if you’d care to check the following image, you’ll find the sketch of Hutchinson is situated almost directly beneath a pen portrait that you accept to have constituted a good likeness of Abberline.
                  Based on the Leman Street photograph, yes - can't see anything wrong with that, Garry. You see, we have no such contemporary photograph of Hutchinson nor, in fact, another contemporary sketch of him that I can recall - so the situation is fundamentally different. That the two sketches appear on the same page is neither here nor there - it certainly doesn't mean that either was drawn from life.

Abberline was a long-serving, locally well-known, police official, prominent in the case - which makes him rather more likely to have been logged somewhere, whether on file, in silver halide or in the sketch-artists' memories. He was certainly out and about in the streets at the time, at inquests, press-conferences (plural) and crime-scenes. A rather different proposition from George Hutchinson, whose star shone but briefly, and of whose direct contact with the writers of the Penny Illustrated, never mind the sketch-artist, we have no proof whatsoever.

As, in fact, I said above, albeit in other words. It still applies, and it remains consistent with what I've said elsewhere.
                  Last edited by Sam Flynn; 12-28-2009, 02:03 AM.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sorry, Sam, but since I am utterly bewildered by your logic, I think it would perhaps be better for all concerned if we simply agreed to disagree.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Working...
                    X