Hutch Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David,
    Agreed. Looks like a bowler to me. But I am WAY from being knowledgable on Victorian hats.

As for the coincidence... its the "half spanner" theory again isn't it.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Dave/Harry.

I've been looking at that depiction of Hutchinson for the best part of twenty-five years and still can't decide whether I'm seeing a moustache or shadow. As for the eyes, the following places the image in its proper context.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hutch2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	658233

All the best.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Garry,

Can you enhance the Hutchinson "alone" sketch even more? Face only perhaps? ...and perhaps close ups of the other two faces on their own?

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,
          the bowler is a problem, at least for those who, like me, think that Hutch was Lewis' man.
          Perhaps the artist hadn't seen Hutch, or wasn't even provided with an accurate description.
          On the other hand, your impression may have something to do with the well-known and obscure "miltary appearance".

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Garry,
            seems a moustache to me. I may say so because I've always found something of John Richardson in Hutch's sketch.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

David,
              You read my mind. The thing about Hutch I just cannot fathom, which throws my views on his testimony into the air, is that apart from his own comments about knowing, and speaking with Kelly, nobody knows Hutchinson. He says himself he walks around all night, in and out of pubs.... Victoria Home etc, yet no one recognised Hutchinson. And we can't find anything about the man from BEFORE Kelly, and we can't find him afterwards either!

I have to say, that seems to me, as if he was a stranger to the area. And strangers in that vicinity, at that time, can indicate an undercover policeman. I hate to think of the other possibility. The murderer. Because that means, literally, good people lke Garry have been sitting for 25 years staring at Jack the Ripper, right under his nose, and indeed of us all, the whole time.

best wishes

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 12-23-2009, 05:56 PM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                nobody knows Hutchinson
                Exactly, Phil,

nobody knows him, though he said he knew Kelly for about 3 years.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

Quite David..

And another thing. Hutchinson said that he met Mary, she asked him for 6d, got the negative, and turned and walked away from him. She then met a man coming towards her, and after a short chat, they turned back towards Hutch, and he stooped to look at the man's face.
                  What I dont get, is IF Mary KNEW Hutchinson, as a friend, why didn't Hutchinson say, for ex, "Mary looked at me and smiled, or winked, or said tatta".. he doesn't mention Mary. Just this man she was with.
                  Look, what I'm trying to get at is that IF Mary was his good friend of three years, she would have said "night night Hutchinson" as she passed. I'm sure thats normal...isn't it?

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil.

The Hutchinson sketch was scanned from an original document (the Penny Illustrated, I believe) and then forwarded to Stephen as part of my book. Since I no longer have the original, and as I'm fairly sure that Stephen would have reduced the on-site file size, I'll do what I can to enlarge and enhance the image this evening. But I'm not unduly optimistic that the end result will yield anything worthwhile. As for the image of Kelly and the Jewish-looking punter, any enhancement would require a much larger file size. I feel sure, however, that someone somewhere on Casebook will have access to a more appropriate source image, so all is not lost.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Garry,

Many thanks for your efforts and given with the seasons greetings to you.

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Anyone knows if there is a sketch of Hutch in the Illustrated Police News?
                        There is Mr Astrakhan, so perhaps Hutch isn't far.
                        I have only what seems a part of the sketch, showing Astrakhan alone, in Glenn Anderson's book.

Amitiés,
                        David

Comment

As I said, Phil, there wasn't much to play with, but here's the Kelly image:-

Name:	Kelly 5.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	658238

And Hutchinson:-

Name:	Hutch3.gif
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	658239

You could, if you like, try right-clicking the images and saving them to your own computer. Doubtless you'll be able to improve on my efforts.

All the best.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Many thanks Garry... oh I don't know... there seems to be some things there..

the image of "Mary" with a splodge of ink on her cheek... or a spot/mole?

and look behind the face of Jack.... in white.... is that a person?

As regards the one of Hutch.... the white above the lips indicates skin... maybe?

best wishes and MANY thanks...

Phil
                            Last edited by Phil Carter; 12-23-2009, 11:11 PM.
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

And Jack seems to have a very full moustache...

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

the bowler is a problem, at least for those who, like me, think that Hutch was Lewis' man.
                                Perhaps the artist hadn't seen Hutch, or wasn't even provided with an accurate description.

Not really a problem, Dave. Hutchinson was certainly interviewed at the Victoria Home on Tuesday, 13 November (the day after his police interrogation) and possibly again on the Wednesday. I don’t think it unreasonable to suppose that this ‘man of military bearing’ might have dressed up for the occasion, wearing his Sunday best bowler or billycock hat, and that this was the image captured by an attendant sketch artist. Of course, it is even possible that the hat depicted in the sketch is indeed a wideawake.

Because that means, literally, good people lke Garry have been sitting for 25 years staring at Jack the Ripper, right under his nose, and indeed of us all, the whole time.

The thought had occurred to me, Phil.

As regards the one of Hutch.... the white above the lips indicates skin... maybe?

Again, Phil, it’s very difficult to tell.

And Jack seems to have a very full moustache...

That’s exactly as Hutchinson described him. The reality, however, is that the Jewish-looking suspect wasn’t ‘Jack’. Rather, he was simply a figment of Hutchinson’s imagination.

All the best.

Garry Wroe.
                                Last edited by Garry Wroe; 12-24-2009, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X