John McCarthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    Was he described in the same reference as 'the landlord of the property who found the body and also having won a prize for raising funds for the hospital, or this another of these mix and match situations?

​​
    Then you wrote:
    Yes, this is all one single source. This version is from Newcastle Evening Chronicle - Saturday 10 November 1888, page 3.

This is going to sound like a cop-out, but I think this is one of these mix and match situations. In other words, the press was familiar of the notorious John McCarthy, sports promotor, fundraiser, etc. and because of his business address next to Millers Court, automatically assumed that he was also the landlord who found Mary Kelly's body and appeared at her inquest. The police only said he was a respectable man. It sounds like the press added the bit about getting awarded a prize for collecting money for hospitals.​

Comment

• See this is the thing, Scott. On the census I give the reference I am using and give the entry number of 50, which if you check is a seperate household to the 27 Dorset Street household of the wealthier boxing promoter.

The wealthier household's number is 52. It's a completely seperate entry. He is likely wealthier because he can afford to employ two household servants. It is absurd to claim that this entire household would have fabricated by Daniel McCarthy because of a business adddress.

I'm sure you checked the source that I gave and yet you pretend that there is some confusion as to which entry I am tallking about.

The local police knew John McCarthy by sight. The Central News journalist had almost certainly never heard of John McCarthy. This is not the press making assumptions, this is what they were informed by the police directly. I do not believe for even one second that you believe a single word of your previous post.

I do not believe, that you believe that the John McCarthy on microfiche 50, who is 52 years old and has a wife named Mary and a son named George was the witness who appeared at the inquest. I am at a loss to understand your behaviour.

Unless you produce a single piece of evidence for any of the claims you make, I have no desire to discuss this any further with you.
      Last edited by seanr; 09-05-2024, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• OK, fine.

Originally posted by seanr View Post

I do not believe, that you believe that the John McCarthy on microfiche 50, who is 52 years old and has a wife named Mary and a son named George was the witness who appeared at the inquest. I am at a loss to understand your behaviour.

Unless you produce a single piece of evidence for any of the claims you make, I have no desire to discuss this any further with you.
        But I'm still at a loss to understand this statement. I was talking about his age.

Comment

• Does anyone have an opinion about which version of the 1891 London census would be more accurate, the handwritten version on microfiche or the digitized version?

Age of John McCarthy on Microfiche version: 42, age on digitized version: 52.

Comment

• Both the entry for the general shop keeper and for the grocer list McCarthy's age as 42. It's also worth noting that "Mary" and "Elizabeth" are both listed as 38. The later transcriptions of the general shop keeper's age are inaccurate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	27 Dorset.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.3 KB ID:	840675

Comment

• Thanks RJ. Could there be any foul up in the census, as some have suggested, because both John McCarthys are listed at 42 years of age and Elizabeth and Mary are both listed as 38 on the handwritten version (earliest)? But then Mary is listed as 54 on the digitized version, not 38.
              Last edited by Scott Nelson; 09-09-2024, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• I suspect the digitization process is struggling with reading numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                  Both the entry for the general shop keeper and for the grocer list McCarthy's age as 42. It's also worth noting that "Mary" and "Elizabeth" are both listed as 38. The later transcriptions of the general shop keeper's age are inaccurate.

Click image for larger version Name:	27 Dorset.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.3 KB ID:	840675
                  I have an idea.

The ages of both John Mccarthy's is 42
                  The ages of both wives; Elizabeth and Mary, is 38

The age of George Mccarthy is 16 (son of John Mccarthy 1)

This is the same age as John Joseph Mccarthy (Steve) was at the time of this census.
                  He was the only living son of John Mccarthy 2)

John Joseph McCarthy doesn't appear at this address in 1891, despite living at this same address in 1895 when he gets married.

This census is taken just 2 and a half years after MJK was murdered.

But what's also interesting is this...

John Joseph McCarthy (Steve) was born in 1875; 2 years before John Mccarthy (2) married Elizabeth Stephens in 1877.

So he is my idea....

What if John Joseph Mccarthy's mother wasn't Elizabeth (nee Stephens)

But John had another birth mother.

What if...George Mccarthy on this census is infact John Joseph Mccarthy.

While both John Mccarthy's are the same man

But Mary Mccarthy on this census doesn't exist.

Or rather; she did exist at some point.

What if John Joseph was initially named George, and his mother was called Mary.
                  Just like the family on this census.

That leaves us with a potentially startling situation.

What if Mary Jane Kelly was the birth mother of George Mccarthy, but his name was changed to John Joseph Mccarthy after his step mother Elizabeth Stephens and his birth father John Mccarthy got married?

Did John Mccarthy born in Dieppe father an illegitimate child with Mary Jane Kelly?

If John Joseph Mccarthy was born in 1875, and he was the same child as George Mccarthy in this census AND MJK was the birth mother; then she may have been as young as 16 when she had the baby.

That would make MJK born in 1859 or 1860 at a push.

Meaning MJK would have been circa 28 when she was murdered and not 25.

There's also a chance that one of John's brothers was the real birth father and John Mccarthy took his nephew in as his own son.

We know that John Joseph McCarthy was living in 27 Dorset Street in 1895, so he should appear there in 1891.

We also know that the family listed 1st (John, Mary and son George) have so far not been traced.

Was this an attempt by John Mccarthy to give us a clue as to Mary Jane Kelly's antecedents?

The next step would be to find a copy of John Joseph Mccarthy's birth certificate from 1875 (possibly 1874) to see who the mother is.

If his mother is listed as Elizabeth (nee Stephens) then my idea is dead in the water.

But if it says "Mary"...then I believe this may just be Mary Jane Kelly.

Of course; if there's no birth certificate available for him, then I'd suggest he was born as George rather than John Joseph.

But not necessarily as a Mccarthy because he would most likely have been illegitimate and therefore had his birth mother's name instead.

So we would be looking for a George born in 1874/1875 to a mother named Mary.

But of course; the first point of call is to try and obtain a birth certificate for a John Joseph Mccarthy in order to negate the need to pursue this idea any further.

This is all based on the fact that John Joseph Mccarthy was born BEFORE John Mccarthy and Elizabeth Stephens got married.

Of course, there is a flip side to all this... John Joseph Mccarthy's mother may have indeed been Elizabeth (nee Stephens) but his real father may not have been John Mccarthy.
                  This is again based on John McCarthy and Elizabeth Stephens getting married after John Joseph was born.

This may just imply that John Joseph Mccarthy had a different birth mother OR father; and if so, an important clue have been sitting right in front of us all along on the 1891 census return.

Just an idea of mine of course; but there may just be some truth to be found.

Thoughts please?

RD
                  Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 09-10-2024, 09:11 AM.
                  "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

• It’s a bit weird that the second McCarthy household has all the same ages as the father, mother and son (if Stephen/ John McCarthy was present).

But it’s a leap too far for me to then conclude that Mary Kelly (who was thought to be 25 in 1888) was the mother of Stephen McCarthy.

It is worth finding the birth certificate though.

It’s not that amazing that the ages are the same that it necessarily needs explanation. The same age is even more common than the same name.
                    Last edited by seanr; 09-10-2024, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanr View Post
                      It’s a bit weird that the second McCarthy household has all the same ages as the father, mother and son (if Stephen/ John McCarthy was present).

But it’s a leap too far for me to then conclude that Mary Kelly (who was thought to be 25 in 1888) was the mother of Stephen McCarthy.

It is worth finding the birth certificate though.

It’s not that amazing that the ages are the same that it necessarily needs explanation. The same age is even more common than the same name.
                      Oddly enough; I am inclined to agree with you.

That may sound counterintuitive as it means I am disagreeing with my own hypothesis.

But that's often my point

I enjoy actively looking for new ideas that I aim to disprove so that i can move on with the next random hypothesis.

Its when the evidence and proof isn't forthcoming that I start to consider that I may be on to something.

With virtually all my hypotheses; they don't come from a place of...

"hey look at what I've thought of, now prove me wrong, and if you can't then I must be right"...

instead, they come from a place of...

"I've thought of something that may explain something currently unknown, please help me to prove myself wrong, so that I can move on, and if you can't then I may be on to something"

In other words; rather than try and build a fortress to defend from others; I much prefer building a house of cards; that I need help in destroying so that i can start again with a new house.

If nobody can help me knock down my house of cards; then perhaps the house has more value to its structure than has been anticipated.

I am eager to obtain the birth certificate so that it can rule out the idea.

RD
                      "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
                      X