X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=John G;395652][QUOTE=jerryd;395651][QUOTE=Pierre;395648]
    Originally posted by John G View Post

Did that condition even exist in 1888?
    Not by that name, certainly, but "soldier's heart" was observed in veterans of the American Civil War, so-- yes.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pcdunn;395723][QUOTE=John G;395652][QUOTE=jerryd;395651]
      Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Not by that name, certainly, but "soldier's heart" was observed in veterans of the American Civil War, so-- yes.
      There is also the question as to whether the condition exists at all in an objective sense- there is certainly no biomedical proof- and it therefore may be socially constructed. As Dr Peter Barglow put it: "...an amorphous disease category with indistinct conceptual boundaries and without a firm biological foundation." See:

Last edited by John G; 10-12-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• After reading the first two paragraphs of the article at the first link, I must disagree. Surely the author can't be saying it is as recent as the Vietnam War!

Does he not recall how World War One soldiers suffered from "shell shock"? Or how World War Two soldiers experienced "battle fatigue"?

I suppose they were all "social constructs" as well. (John... Are YOU Pierre?)
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          After reading the first two paragraphs of the article at the first link, I must disagree. Surely the author can't be saying it is as recent as the Vietnam War!

Does he not recall how World War One soldiers suffered from "shell shock"? Or how World War Two soldiers experienced "battle fatigue"?

I suppose they were all "social constructs" as well. (John... Are YOU Pierre?)
          You obviously lack knowledge in this area. The problem is that most mental illnesses lack biological evidence for their existence, so they're not illnesses in the way that, say, cancer is an illness. In fact, it has been argued that they are simply means of defining people who deviate from social norms or cultural stereotypes. That is not to say, of course, that individuals diagnosed with a mental illness don't have real, debilitating problems, because of course many of them do. However, you could have ten people labelled with the condition PTSD, and they might all have a completely different condition, and completely different causes of that condition. And none of the causes need be biomedical. In fact, all you have in essence is a series of symptoms-and these may fundamentally differ between individuals-which someone interprets according to a specified criteria, which might not be entirely objective, then labels you as having that condition.

If your interested in the subject I suggest you take a look at the pioneering work of Thomas Szasz: see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Szasz

Szasz once said, "If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. If the dead talk to you, you are a spiritualist; if you talk to the dead, you are schizophrenic."

I would also recommend that you read the excellent well balanced article by Frances and Wideger, 2013, which highlights some of the problems in this area: see psych.colorado.edu>pdfs>Frances_2012

I would note that Alan Frances was the Chair of the Task Force that published DSM IV.

This article also gives a basic insight into the relevant issues: http://www.simplypsychology.org/a-le...pathology.html
          Last edited by John G; 10-12-2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• There is a very well known saying:

'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'.

Organisational Behaviour: The Pierre Model

1) Outlandish, improbable claim is made in new thread
            2) Claim is debunked
            3) Claim is withdrawn, butchered or ignored by original poster
            4) Rinse, repeat.

I have no idea at this point if we're all mad, or he is. Perhaps this is a social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
              There is a very well known saying:

'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'.

2) Claim is debunked
              4) Rinse, repeat.

I have no idea at this point if we're all mad, or he is. Perhaps this is a social experiment.

Dear MsWeatherwax,

That seems the most accurate and concise description I have seen.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                There once was a boy named Pierre,
                Who claimed "I think I have found him!" oh dear.
                But he can't say a thing
                Till he finds that last thing
                And it will prolly take more than a year.

Maybe more
                Now I feel a need to write a poem too. Damn you!

Mike
                huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
                  I am still of the opinion that Pierre is one of the regulars on here using a different user name and more than likely a vpn or similar.

Gut?
                  Mr osram ?
                  Trevor?
                  Me?

Would the real Pierre please stand up .
                  There was this guy several years ago claiming PC Harvey was the killer and that he died in Broadmoor (I believe). He claimed to be going on a book tour and to having secret information from the files at Broadmoor. He milked this for a while...maybe a year, and was super nasty to some of us who called him on it. Pierre is not very different, though less nasty and more secretive.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

• Perhaps Pierre is George Hutchinson seeking another fifteen minutes of fame

Comment

• Pierre,

I note with interest that you have not answered the following questions, and for which I can see no reasonable excuse not.

Firstly the reply that one cannot carry out medical diagnoses on a dead person, I gave plenty of examples that show that such can and is done.

I am surprised you have not addressed the issue, it is something you should be aware of?

I now put 3 questions together rather than in separate quotes.

The first is in regards to the source which you at first suggested showed a problem

The final two are related to the expert you used, which really do need to be answered to show that this expert is sufficiently qualified to give the answer he has.

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Then why not do has you were asked an post the diagnosis with all identifying items redacted. To see if others agree.

however you have not been clear about if the person is medically qualified, as it is possible to be a medical historian without being so.

And you have still not told us the medical speciality of the expert.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
                        There is a very well known saying:

2) Claim is debunked
                        4) Rinse, repeat.

Love your social experiment idea. I definitely feel as though I'm taking part in the Truman Show!

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                          No problem. Here's a brief article about narcissistic personality disorder: https://www.psychologytoday.com/cond...ality-disorder
                          Well, thanks John, but you have referred to an article about narcissistic personlity disorder, and not to an article about "grandiose delusions", which is the concept we discussed.

You initially wrote: "...are you aware that grandiose delusions are a symptom of a number of personality disorders?

So letīs call it "GD" for grandiose delusions and what types of PD:s (personality disorders) are GD a symptom of?

That is, if you know something about it. I donīt.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Pierre, in a post in the "I think I have found him thread" on 23 September 2015, #333, you said:

"If I canīt give that answer conclusively by having the last piece of evidence in 12 months (Iīm not going to spend more time on it) you will get the theory and data here so you can try it yourselves."

So, over 12 months later, I have one question for you:

Why did you lie?

Comment

• Hello, John G.,

Well, perhaps I do, as I have only a layman's knowledge of psychology. Thank you for the polite reply, and for the links.

By the way, have you read "The Psychopath Test: A Journey through the Madness Industry" by Jon Ronson?

Is there a definitive line that divides crazy from sane? With a hair-raising delivery, Jon Ronson, author of The Psychopath Test, illuminates the gray areas between the two. (With live-mixed sound by Julian Treasure and animation by Evan Grant.)

I found it very entertaining and informative, and enjoyed it very much.
                              Last edited by Pcdunn; 10-13-2016, 11:19 AM. Reason: removed bad weblink
                              ---------------
                              ---------------

Comment

• As a wonderful example of the quality of Pierre's research, it is instructive to consider what he said in his "I think I have found him thread" on 20 September 2015, at #214:

"I have found a letter written by him giving information that only the killer could have and published before the crime. He gives a lot of information in this letter and he does not sign it "Jack the Ripper". He tells us where and when and who. No one seem to have noticed it. But it was in the paper."

For some people, this might have sounded very impressive but it turned out to be nothing more than a letter written to newspapers by someone (signing as Gogmagog), evidently on behalf of the City of London Corporation, to encourage Londoners to attend the Lord Mayor's parade (or procession) on 9 November. It had nothing whatsoever to do with Jack the Ripper and did not, in fact, contain any information that only the killer could have known.

It shows how Pierre is capable, and culpable, of misunderstanding documentary evidence in the most extraordinary way.

Comment

Working...
                                X