• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is Aldgate pump Circa 1880 by the way

Comment

• Nice find Philbee.

Are you sure that's not photoshopped?

Seriously though, sorry I can't help with the lamp issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philbee View Post
        Anyone know when the gas lamp came off the top
        ... any time the Old Nichol gang felt like amusing themselves
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Not sure John .. In what way exactly

Comment

• "photoshopped" I mean

Comment

• ^ Philbee, that was a joke concerning someone who is not on this site any more.

I have quite a few views over the years of the pump. I'll have to check but I have a feeling I have a 1900s postcard with it in and a 1939 magic lantern slide when it's gone.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi George .. no worries but the big guys beard doesnt look right to me ( has the barber cut that using a t square ) Hence mine own apprehension . Is the postcard from !912 ... a site I was reading mentions that it is the first image showing the dogs /wolfs head spout which was changed from the original stone one sometime between the 1880 image and the 1912 postcard . Love to see it plus the ml slide if at all possible .

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  Look at the tree's!! Looks like a Tim Burton set for a dark and nasty movie! Lovely pictures.

The interior sets are amazing, really thought provoking, and sat here with my double glazing, fully carpeted house with central heating up to the max, I am thinking it must have been cold back then!
                  Them trees do look rather spooky. I take it they are leaning due to the wind?

Comment

• Originally posted by pmerryman View Post
                    It looks as if they are leaning away from the building! All very thought provoking!
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• I think the trees are actors auditioning for "Eastenders."

Comment

• Some more East End images from the days when 'Top of the Pops' was still essential friday night viewing (with a top theme tune to boot):

Old Montague Street (looking west), 1972
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	OldMontagueStreet 1972 LMA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	655661

Former Davenant School, 1972 - The car park area used to be the playground, but was also the site of the Old Montague Street Mortuary.

Name:	DavenantSchool 1972 LMA.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	655658

Goulston Street, 1976.

Name:	GoulstonStreet 1976 3 LMA.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	655660

Get that van out of the way!

Name:	GoulstonStreet 1976 2 LMA.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	655659

The rear of 108-119 Wentworth Dwellings, 1976.

Name:	WentworthDwellingsRear 2 1976 LMA.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	655662

Comment

• Originally posted by Philbee View Post
                          Came across this ... Anyone know when the gas lamp came off the top
                          Philbee - latest news is that the lamp would have come off in the early 1900s. I have one card with the lamp there but I have a more common Edwardian card which is lampless. I walked past the pump today and there's still traces on its top of where it was once attached. Rob & I have an image of it in our book with a lamp dated to 1895.

PHILIP
                          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmerryman View Post
                            As Bob Dylan wrote "You don't need a Weather man to know which way the winds blows."
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              It looks as if they are leaning away from the building! All very thought provoking!

Your right. The first picture shows them leaning away from the building, but the angle of the second shot, makes them appear they are leaning to the right.

Very strange either way, but a very good photo.

Comment

• Goulston Street

John,

Those last two photos kinda answer a couple of queries I had.

One was the wall in Goulston Street, when did it go?

Tother was if there was basement access at the rear? Rob and I discussed this when we had a look at the back some years ago. We could see a lentel but were not sure if it was a door or window one.

Those pics answer that....thank you.

Monty
                                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                                X