This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
    Tother was if there was basement access at the rear? Rob and I discussed this when we had a look at the back some years ago. We could see a lentel but were not sure if it was a door or window one.

Those pics answer that....thank you.

Monty
    Indeed, it makes me wonder if the basement door entrance in Goulston Street led right through to the back and another way out.

Rob

Comment

• Rob

I dont see why not. I suspect the basement may have been a laundry room of types. I really do find it odd that Long or any Police report doesnt mention this...unless its lost of course. That passage we went down, is that original?
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• I believe it is, It's not clear enough on the 1890s Goads

Click image for larger version

Name:	WMD May 1890.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	655663

Also looking at the front of the dwellings in the 1976 photo, was there another way down to the basement? It looks like there might be for the corner one, with the metal fence there.

Rob

Comment

• Rob

I agree mate Again, I know the other entrances had steps and a door down to the basement. I suspect that end one, nearest the baths, was different. Though the question is was it an oringinal or converted sometime prior 76. I have some pics of that end one, with the wall, somewhere. Didnt I mail em to you?
          Monty

Comment

• Good question, I just assumed the entrance to the basement was just the door to the left of the staircases. The end one looks like it may have had an outside staircase leading to the basement and all the rear entrances looked as if they may have had outside staircases leading to the basements and may have had an internal one as well.

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob,

What are the two blue and black Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts on the Goulston Street Goads Plan?

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                Hi Rob, What are the two blue and black Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts on the Goulston Street Goads Plan?
                ... is it because the two fattest policemen in London just happened to be on point duty when the map was drawn?
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Hi Simon,

They are Hydrants.

Regards

Rob

Comment

• Rob, Monty

If Wentworth Dwellings had a basement wouldn't the Goad map say so?

eg the number denoting storeys would say 5 + B or Bast. or something.

Also, when I saw the doorway opened up in 1990, the left hand side part by the steps was completely open and went through to the rear of the building.

I did take a photo, one of those that is now mislaid. It may have shed some light on the matter. Poo.

Comment

• I don't know if I'm stating the obvious here, but the current owner told me three years ago that when he ripped out the stairs for the chippy circa 1990, he kept the stairs down to the basement and they're still there under a trapdoor or something behind the counter. He did intimate to me at one point when we were shooting that Freemasonry documentary outside that the company could film it, but they didn't think it necessary. He might still be amenable to showing it.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        Rob, Monty

If Wentworth Dwellings had a basement wouldn't the Goad map say so?

eg the number denoting storeys would say 5 + B or Bast. or something.

Also, when I saw the doorway opened up in 1990, the left hand side part by the steps was completely open and went through to the rear of the building.

I did take a photo, one of those that is now mislaid. It may have shed some light on the matter. Poo.
                        Hi John,

The later Goad Maps show the basement. I can't imagine a basement being added later so it might have been included on the 1890 one (although I can't imagine why).

Name:	WMD August 1956.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	655664

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                        I don't know if I'm stating the obvious here, but the current owner told me three years ago that when he ripped out the stairs for the chippy circa 1990, he kept the stairs down to the basement and they're still there under a trapdoor or something behind the counter. He did intimate to me at one point when we were shooting that Freemasonry documentary outside that the company could film it, but they didn't think it necessary. He might still be amenable to showing it.

PHILIP
                        Philip, if he throws in a bag of chips, I'm game .

Rob

Comment

• Re: Goads - Thanks for that Rob.

Re: the basement - Throw in a Pukka Pie and I'll jump down there meself.

Comment

• Rob,

Ive mailed you some images about this basement topic. Let me know what you think.

Throw in a crispy duck and Im in too.

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Rob,

Ive mailed you some images about this basement topic. Let me know what you think.

Throw in a crispy duck and Im in too.

Monty
                              Got em, cheers. This one as you said is the interesting one.

Name:	goulston structure.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	655667

Although the arrow should be a bit higher up. I think it's just clear enough that there is a gap at the front of the building similar to the rear. The question is did it extend along the whole of the front when it was built. It may have done and it would explain the outline on the largescale O.S. from 1894

Name:	Goulston Street 1894 Large Scale Plancb.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	655668

Brunswick Buildings just to the South and on the otherside of Goulston Street were built this way as this 1970s photo shows.

Name:	Goulston Street 1970s cb.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	655669

Rob

P.S memo to Philip, if the Happy Days chef feeds us we'll brave the basement.

Comment

• Thanks Rob

The arrow was placed to point out the wall which flummoxed Jake and myself as it seemed to have stuck out for no reason but now has been answered. To wall off that basement well which couldnt be seen. I think your suggestion is a valid one. I know the buildings were built to the same spec. I cant recall if there are any footprints of these wells, can you?
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X