If the 'Dear Boss' letter is a hoax...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Personal sources from the archives as well as known sources from the case. But also other published sources in very different collections.
    What specific sources?

Comment

Personal sources from the archives as well as known sources from the case. But also other published sources in very different collections.
      ...and they are what?

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      I wish I had never seen them.
      You probably didn't...

Comment

Personal sources from the archives
        Isn't the phrase "Personal sources from the archives" a contradiction in terms?

Either they are personal to you or they belong to these "archives", surely.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          Isn't the phrase "Personal sources from the archives" a contradiction in terms?

Either they are personal to you or they belong to these "archives", surely.
          No, surely not David. Without persons, no personal sources. Without archives to collect personal sources, no personal sources collected in archives.

Comment

No, surely not David. Without persons, no personal sources. Without archives to collect personal sources, no personal sources collected in archives.
            But without persons there are no sources at all. So doesn't that mean that all sources are "personal sources"? So why not just say "sources from the archives"? What did the word "personal" add to distinguish your sources from any others?

Comment

But without persons there are no sources at all. So doesn't that mean that all sources are "personal sources"? So why not just say "sources from the archives"? What did the word "personal" add to distinguish your sources from any others?
              As usual you understand nothing.

Comment

As usual you understand nothing.
                As usual you explain nothing.

Comment

• A librarian's viewpoint...

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  As a librarian with a lot of cataloging experience, I may be able to point out that "personal sources" may include such items as letters, diaries, or memoirs-- and would be catalogued under the terms, respectively, "Personal correspondence", "Personal writings", or "Personal recollections."

An archive could collect any of the above sources.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

• Well let's ask him shall we....

Pierre, when you say "personal sources" are you referring to letters, diaries or memoirs that you have found in "the archives"?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                      And, of course, these "sources" are all undisclosed, therefore may well be completely fanciful. This is irrefutable logic.

Unbelievable!
                      Other than the Gog and Magog letter and the foolishness that flowed and the 28th inst (or whatever) letter, he hasn't produced a single source.

Wonder if that's because they're non existent
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Well let's ask him shall we....

Pierre, when you say "personal sources" are you referring to letters, diaries or memoirs that you have found in "the archives"?
                        David

this would back what Pierre claimed that he found his great discovery while researching something else: possibly a family history or biography of a person he was researching.

Of course this does not mean anything has been interpreted correctly.

Incidentally does carrying out genealogy make one an Academic Historian?

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          this would back what Pierre claimed that he found his great discovery while researching something else: possibly a family history or biography of a person he was researching.
                          Well then, Steve, maybe a miracle will happen and he will give me a straight answer to my question!

There is a first time for everything.

Comment

Well then, Steve, maybe a miracle will happen and he will give me a straight answer to my question!

There is a first time for everything.
                            David

We never know, didn't we recently have a Black Moon
                            So I guess anything is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                              David

We never know, didn't we recently have a Black Moon
                              So I guess anything is possible.
                              What's a black moon? I've never heard that before. Is that like a new moon or eclipse?

Comment

Working...
                              X