A Whip and a Prod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ven View Post
    provide photos of "carts", with legs, drawn by a pony, from the correct end, and we will continue discussion.
    The legs are put in place at market,as they would hamper the animals progress in transit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	costers cart 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	750618
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      This thread has been going 18 months and still there hasn't been a shred of evidence to sipport the claims in post #1. Can we now finish with this thread?
      You can’t crush a conspiracy with reason Dusty.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

The legs are put in place at market,as they would hamper the animals progress in transit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	costers cart 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	750618
        Hey DJA,

Your image and the image in Post #1 are basically the same cart, however, Post #1 is built as a hand cart (the legs are part of the construction), and your image is for a horses/pony drawn cart with no inbuilt legs but inbuilt poles for securing to the beast. Not everyone could afford a horse so very similar but built and used differently. And if its a horse drawn cart the driver sat above the wheels (fulcrum) as per your picture. The carts weren't interchangeable.

Comment

• DJA,

your image shows there are no Handles to make it a hand PUSHED cart... and Post #1 shows no long poles to support a beast but clearly has handles to push the cart... I feel I'm going around in circles... similar carts but built for different purposes... i.e. I have a horse...or...I have to push it myself...

Comment

• Ven,

Might be worth reading this thread from the start.It is the continuation of a previous thread.
            Most of these carts were built by Hiller Brothers and hired out to costermongers.Hillers controlled the market.
            Some are built differently eg wheel size,etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

You can’t crush a conspiracy with reason Dusty.
              Indeed. And you can't lead a horse to Dutfields Yard at 1am (ish) and make people think.
              No, wait, "you can lead a horse to Berner St, but you can't make it believe in a Jewish Conspiracy"

Or, "If a horse arrives at around 1am, but no one but Fanny Mortimer hears it, did it really fall. Arrive."

"If a policeman's whistle blows in the East End, does it negate estimations of time?"

The philosophy of Jack.

Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Indeed. And you can't lead a horse to Dutfields Yard at 1am (ish) and make people think.
                No, wait, "you can lead a horse to Berner St, but you can't make it believe in a Jewish Conspiracy"

Or, "If a horse arrives at around 1am, but no one but Fanny Mortimer hears it, did it really fall. Arrive."

"If a policeman's whistle blows in the East End, does it negate estimations of time?"

The philosophy of Jack.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                  Ven,

Might be worth reading this thread from the start.It is the continuation of a previous thread.
                  Most of these carts were built by Hiller Brothers and hired out to costermongers.Hillers controlled the market.
                  Some are built differently eg wheel size,etc.
                  Hi DJA,

not sure what you're getting at here -
                  1. I have followed this thread from the start. My first comment was Post #10 (which still stands btw)
                  2. Are you agreeing with me by saying "some carts are built differently"? As I stated... some carts were built to be a push cart (image in Post #1) and some were built to be pulled by a horse/pony (image in Post #601). The body pretty much identical but the hand cart has built in legs and handles and the horse drawn cart has built in poles but no legs.

Comment

• Gave a like for post #10,at the time.
                    Buggered if I know why we are still going over the bleedin' obvious.

Comment

• LOL, yeah I know, his initial point was about dimensions, and I've just tried to show , based on the "carriage" he showed, that he got it all wrong...let's see what develops

Comment

Working...
                      X