Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: Eddowes' Shawl - by Paddy 14 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 53 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by harry 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - by c.d. 4 hours ago.
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - by c.d. 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (42 posts)
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - (12 posts)
General Discussion: Eddowes' Shawl - (7 posts)
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: So what happened to that femur...? - (6 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Jack the Ripper learned don't eviscerate before you exsanguinate - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman)

Old 10-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
I can`t see what the problem with Chapman being the Ripper.
He arrives in London a surgeon`s assistant. Single, menial jobs
Possibly the Ripper.

A few years later he`s married, has his own premises and turns to poison.
Hi Jon
Its the huge change in MO-and I can certainly see the point. One of the biggest changes in MO Ive ever seen in SKs. However, its not enough to rule him out.

One could actually turn it around and say hes the only ripper suspect that's a known serial killer of women-so for me its sort of a wash.

That being said, what seems to get missed is that he almost killed his wife with a knife.

And of course, he was abusive toward women and i think if theres any link it could be seen as similar deep seated psychologocal desire to utterly control and dominate women. different women/circs different MO-kind of like Abberline alluded to.

hes got alot else going for him-there at the time, basically fits descriptions, known to have a peaked cap, surgical experience, abberline suspected. fits profile of local avg joe.

my main problem is not the poisoning thing, its that he would have had a thick accent and no one who heard the ripper suspects ever mentioned a heavy accent-which they would have.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
I can`t see what the problem with Chapman being the Ripper.
He arrives in London
Where was he during the Autumn of Terror, though? There's a fair possibility that he lived out in the West India Dock area (because that's where he worked with Abraham Radin) for at least part of 1888, if not most of it, before locating to Cable Street sometime before mid-December that year. And Cable Street was hardly at the epicentre of the Ripper murders.
Quote:
a surgeon`s assistant.
A feldscher's assistant; a different kettle of fish (or jar of leeches) to a surgeon.
Quote:
Single... menial jobs
Him and tens of thousands of others, so we can't really use that as a diagnostic criterion.
Quote:
A few years later he`s married, has his own premises and turns to poison.
Well, he turned to poisoning girlfriends after his real wife and kids had left him. Perhaps that's what tipped him over the edge?

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Where was he during the Autumn of Terror, though? There's a fair possibility that he lived out in the West India Dock area (because that's where he worked with Abraham Radin) for at least part of 1888, if not most of it, before locating to Cable Street sometime before mid-December that year. And Cable Street was hardly at the epicentre of the Ripper murders.
A feldscher's assistant; a different kettle of fish (or jar of leeches) to a surgeon.Him and tens of thousands of others, so we can't really use that as a diagnostic criterion.Well, he turned to poisoning girlfriends after his real wife and kids had left him. Perhaps that's what tipped him over the edge?
all good points Sam, especially the last one.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
all good points Sam, especially the last one.
Thanks, Abby. Indeed - we mustn't forget potential triggers or motives in all this.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Detective

So a man can butcher 5 women over just a few months in 1888 in such a maniacal fashion, then simply return to a normal life for nearly a decade without anyone suspecting anything or noticing that he was psychotic, and then resume his murderous career in 1897 as a poisoner? It seems unlikely.

I have read the book about him. Very interesting character. But surely not the Ripper.

Last edited by J6123 : 10-15-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Goose View Post
Hi Batman, let me make sure I understand.

You provided a quote from Helena's book. So you are arguing Klosowski (Chapman) makes a good Ripper suspect after you read her book. After. Did I hear that right?

Paddy
The quote was a different fact involving Chapman dressing like a sailor when in the dock in court.

I am discussing the issue with BTK changing his MO and Signature. Which went from serial strangular to compliance officer socially engineering hell on Earth for some women.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I am discussing the issue with BTK changing his MO and Signature. Which went from serial strangular to compliance officer socially engineering hell on Earth for some women.
Yes, but he didn't kill them, did he? And given that Rader was such an arse, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have been obnoxious to other people all his life. It's not like he was "switching MO" or anything.

PS: Didn't he also pick on kids whilst a compliance officer? It wasn't just women he pissed off.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
What Rader did in a professional capacity had no bearing on what he did as a clandestine prowler armed with a rope and a set of wire-cutters, homing in on women who had been the subjects of his masturbatory fantasies for some time.
Loads of SKs have used their job in their MO. BTK installed security alarms for a decade during the murders. He then was a census taker going around to people's homes. Dalhmer used funds from the ice-cream factory and their connections to get his barrels of acid, etc. H.H.Holmes used his hotel as a murder home and his pharmacy to procure poisons for it. BTK was using his job as a compliance officer to harass women. Just because they have a job doesn't mean they aren't using it as part of their MO.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect him to have strangled a colleague, nor a "customer" of his as a dog warden, unless they too happened to be someone he was stalking.
He never murdered them or any of his targets. For 14 years he didn't murder anyone, despite murdering more people than JtR over a longer period of time.

Dennis Rader has stopped murdering/paused and is getting his kicks turning to something else, which doesn't even involve murder.

Quote:
In which case he may well have bound, tortured and killed them too. And, when he killed, he went about it in the same general manner, and did similar awful things to his victims before and after death.
He wasn't doing that for 14 years. He wasn't dead. He wasn't in prison. He wasn't incapacitated in some way. No asylum either. He was hurting women another way and he wasn't strangling them to do it. He wasn't even murdering them.

Quote:
There is no analogy or comparison to be made with the criteria which distinguish Klosowski from the Ripper.
Your criteria failed to link Dennis Rader to BTK, let's alone work in a comparative model between offenders. I even offered that you go through each point, but you have skipped it.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Yes, but he didn't kill them, did he? And given that Rader was such an arse, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have been obnoxious to other people all his life. It's not like he was "switching MO" or anything.

PS: Didn't he also pick on kids whilst a compliance officer? It wasn't just women he pissed off.
Dennis Rader was breaking the law as a compliance officer. He actually had a restraining order filed against him. He wasn't just being 'obnoxious'. He was breaking and entering (as he did as BTK), untying their dogs and driving them off to the vets to get put down. Animal cruelty and extreme anti-social behavior. If he was caught doing this, he would go to jail for it. He would stalk around the women's properties looking in windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHPz...outu.be&t=2004

This documentary covers interviews with the women and what happened at this above time mark.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Dennis Rader was breaking the law as a compliance officer. He actually had a restraining order filed against him. He wasn't just being 'obnoxious'. He was breaking and entering (as he did as BTK), untying their dogs and driving them off to the vets to get put down. Animal cruelty and extreme anti-social behavior. If he was caught doing this, he would go to jail for it. He would stalk around the women's properties looking in windows.
Like I said, he was an arse, but he didn't kill those people, did he? And, of those he killed, he didn't slowly poison them to death or gas them. He didn't kill some in the street, or lure them into his truck to kill them at a remote location etc, etc. No - when he killed, his MO was pretty darned constant throughout.

There is no parallel between Rader and your theoretical killer who so altered his methods that he went from the rapid throat-cutting and evisceration of strangers in public to the slow, bloodless poisoning of partners at home.