No announcement yet.

escape committe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who really want to escape I could send a divorce application.

But it s only good in Aus, and they just increased the price for a divorce by about an extra $500.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      Trying to scrounge together books for the camp library, of course!
      I have a copy of "Crime and Punishment" for GUT, a nice selection of Jane Austen novels for the ladies (will take special requests if needed for less highbrow romances), a history of Pink Floyd for pinkmoon, and a batch of Captain America comicbooks for Steadman. Of course Amanda's book will also be available!
      Let your helpful librarian know what else she can get for you folks.
      Hi Pat and all,

Gee I miss a thread for a couple of days, and look how far behind I get. Indeed my section of the tunnel needs shoring up as it is in danger of collapse.

Books huh? How about an account of "The Great Escape" if one can think of a good one (minus the sad conclusion). Or Frank Clune's old account of the Burke and Wills' debacle, "DIG".

I can offer some books of historical interest, such as a biography on Calvin Coolidge, and one on William Lloyd Garrison. As for novels, I have many by Victorians I planned to read (like Mrs. Gaskell) but haven't. I even have "Pelham" by Bulwer-Lytton, but after forcing myself to complete "The Last Days of Pompeii three decades back, I find I can't bring myself to read "Pelham".

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        For those who really want to escape I could send a divorce application.

But it s only good in Aus, and they just increased the price for a divorce by about an extra $500.
        G'Day GUT,

I think you meant that the divorce application form was only good in Australia, where the price for getting a divorce increased an extra $500. Otherwise, it seemed to suggest nobody outside of Australia would recognize a divorce granted in Australia, which did not make sense.

Jeff

Comment

• Books...

Hi Guys,

Plans for the camp library are coming along splendidly, well done!

Now all we need to do is bundle them together, strap them to Pinkmoon's enormous underpants & have them parachuted in to our secret location.

Any volunteers?
          Amanda

Comment

• No need for all that.. I'll take them there on my motorcycle.... I am the American Hero after all... those comic books might not make it to the library though...

Hmm Australian divorce papers eh.....well... why not... never know what might happen after a night of good old American hooch.. never know who you wake up with or where.....I may need an easy break from a clingy Aussie at some point…..ya’all know how the ladies love us Americans!!!!

Mayerling…. Have you ever read the book The Great Escape (which the movie is based) by Paul Brickhill great read!!! Also there is “ the Great Escape the True Story” by Ted Barris which looks fascinating but I have yet to read.. but I plan on it.

Speaking of the Great Escape… has anyone ever seen the original TV adaptation from 1951 on The Philco Television Playhouse… I have always wanted too but have never found it.

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              No need for all that.. I'll take them there on my motorcycle.... I am the American Hero after all... those comic books might not make it to the library though...

Hmm Australian divorce papers eh.....well... why not... never know what might happen after a night of good old American hooch.. never know who you wake up with or where.....I may need an easy break from a clingy Aussie at some point…..ya’all know how the ladies love us Americans!!!!

Mayerling…. Have you ever read the book The Great Escape (which the movie is based) by Paul Brickhill great read!!! Also there is “ the Great Escape the True Story” by Ted Barris which looks fascinating but I have yet to read.. but I plan on it.

Speaking of the Great Escape… has anyone ever seen the original TV adaptation from 1951 on The Philco Television Playhouse… I have always wanted too but have never found it.

Steadmund Brand
              Hi Steadmund,

I had the opportunity twenty years back to get Brickhill's book in paperback, but I didn't take it (you know the drill - so many choices, and so little time to pick and choose all of them!). I did see (about fifteen years back) a television movie that Judd Hirsch was in that described how the Allies went after the Gestapo men who murdered the recaptured escapees (you recall in the film how Richard Attenborough, Gordon Jackson, and others are shot when taken out of trucks along a road). Eventually several of the Gestapo people were hanged for murder.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                For those who really want to escape I could send a divorce application.

Hi Gut,
                Any takers on those divorce papers yet?

Ooh, and check your messages....
                Amanda

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  Hi Pat and all,

Books huh? How about an account of "The Great Escape" if one can think of a good one (minus the sad conclusion). Or Frank Clune's old account of the Burke and Wills' debacle, "DIG".

Jeff
                  This is one I've read, which is excellent, but still sad:

Human game : the true story of the 'great escape' murders and the hunt for the Gestapo gunmen /
                  by Read, Simon.
                  Type: BookPublication: New York : Berkley Books, [2012]
                  Copyright: ©2012
                  Description: xvi, 330 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
                  ISBN: 9780425252734; 0425252736.
                  Related Subjects: World War, 1939-1945 Prisoners and prisons, German | Great Britain. Royal Air Force Officers Crimes against | Stalag Luft III | Criminal investigation Germany | War criminals Germany History 20th century | War crime trials Germany | Great Britain. Royal Air Force Police. Special Investigations Branch | McKenna, Francis P., 1906-1994 | HISTORY / Military / World War II
                  Contents: Preamble: The great escape -- Prologue: Sunday, March 26 -- 'Those are my orders' -- Cold case -- Vengeance -- Zlin -- The London cage -- Prime suspects -- Munich -- A death in the mountains -- Saarbrucken -- Danzig -- Finding Scharpwinkel -- Alone -- The order of the blood -- Remembrance -- Acknowledgements -- Appendix A: The fifty -- Appendix B: A survivor's tale.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                    G'Day GUT,

I think you meant that the divorce application form was only good in Australia, where the price for getting a divorce increased an extra $500. Otherwise, it seemed to suggest nobody outside of Australia would recognize a divorce granted in Australia, which did not make sense.

Jeff

Correct, you have to qualify for a divorce in Aus or the papers are useless.

And yep a jump form just over $800 to about $1200 just to escape.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                      Hi Gut,
                      Any takers on those divorce papers yet?

Ooh, and check your messages....
                      Amanda

I thought pinky might be a taker for the papers but I guess old dragon would burn them up.

Replied thanks.

Don't forget I'm sleepy byes while you are awake and vice a versa.
                      G U T

Comment

• Confusion

Somebody help me I'm ignant, as we say in the Deep South, regarding pinkmoon & dragon?? I don't be knowin, sha?! Did I unknowingly insult??
                        From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                        "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                          Somebody help me I'm ignant, as we say in the Deep South, regarding pinkmoon & dragon?? I don't be knowin, sha?! Did I unknowingly insult??
                          No insult Dragon is Pinkies other half you significant better
                          G U T

Comment

• Sha 'ti bébé

Merci, mom ami
                            From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                            "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                              Merci, mom ami
                              Est Nada
                              G U T

Comment

• You heard folks, change of plan the tunnel is now going to Switzerland.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X