Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Hi GUT,

Okay, it is a swagman then, not a squatter - but thanks again for the assist.
    Pity the poor wretch still kills himself to avoid the 1, 2, 3, or policeman # 123, or 123 policeman about to pounce on him.

Maybe the origin of the tune's storyline is connected to one of the bushrangers who apparently was killed when cooking a meal or having a drink by a policeman who snuck up behind him and crushed his skull with a gun. I have one or two books here among my books on Australia about bushrangers (one by a fellow named Frederick Boxall that dates back to about 1900).

I recall when they made "Waltzing Matilda" one of the National Anthems of Australia in the last twenty years. What is the other one?

Jeff
    G'day Jeff

Waltzing Matilda has never been our official National Anthem, it is Advance Australia Fair [since the 80's prior to that it was God Save the Queen] but WM is sung at many sporting events and the such, and I suspect more Aussies know the words to Waltzing Matilda than to Advance Australia Fair, there are many claims about Banjo's inspiration. Yes we've had some interesting Bushrangers.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Good moaning Coral. Please give my regurds to Cossy and Delly.

That's root, I was parashatted into Frunce and I am now working as an officer of the loo. Good lick with the tinnel.

If I am ever pissing your way I will leak in on you.

I must goo now because Rene is in the bar on his own and he is beset with many trebles.

Comment

• I don't want rescuing tonight I've just bought the new pink floyd cd so I'm quite contented.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• What a weekend!!! Took me an extra day to recover....I am a bit worried I may have left some DNA on the shawl....I don't remember too much.....ya know.. sometimes it's harder to sneak back in..

Steadmund Brand

P.S today is Veterans Day here in the U.S (And Canada).. so just want to send my thanks to all troops past and present

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

P.S today is Veterans Day here in the U.S (And Canada).. so just want to send my thanks to all troops past and present

Steadmund Brand
            Thanks Steadmund for reminding us.

We all give thanks to troops past and present, be they fighting Al Quada and ISIS or if they are the remnants of that greatest generation.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
              I don't want rescuing tonight I've just bought the new pink floyd cd so I'm quite contented.
              The brand new one?

Can't get it at the moment, my local shop hopes to have t at the end of the week.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Wes 96 years since the end of "The War to End all Wars".... what a crying shame that it wasn't. Something 30,000,000 dead and wounded.

Thank you to all who have served to keep us free.
                G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  The brand new one?

Can't get it at the moment, my local shop hopes to have t at the end of the week.
                  It's rather good to say the least not up to the standard of darkside of the moon or wish you were here but certainly very listenable.
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                    It's rather good to say the least not up to the standard of darkside of the moon or wish you were here but certainly very listenable.
                    Could it be up to Dark Side, probably one of the top 10 albums of all time.
                    G U T

Comment

• Hey...

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                      Ahh, Pink old chap!

Have you given up on trying to escape the Dragon's Den?

Comment

• I've been steadily digging away and have now surfaced...Oh God, I've dug my way into...JtR Forums...

Comment

• Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                          Ahh, Pink old chap!

Have you given up on trying to escape the Dragon's Den?

Can't really escape unless you have some where to escape to so at the moment I will have to stay put.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            I've been steadily digging away and have now surfaced...Oh God, I've dug my way into...JtR Forums...

G'day Dave

Thanks for at least doing some digging, unlike the rest of the bludgers, but haven't you gone from the fryng pan into the fire?:
                            G U T

Comment

• Absolutely GUT...but I suppose it could've been worse...it might've been Karen Trenouth's back garden or even Outer-Trevorland....

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                G'day Jeff

Waltzing Matilda has never been our official National Anthem, it is Advance Australia Fair [since the 80's prior to that it was God Save the Queen] but WM is sung at many sporting events and the such, and I suspect more Aussies know the words to Waltzing Matilda than to Advance Australia Fair, there are many claims about Banjo's inspiration. Yes we've had some interesting Bushrangers.

G'day Jeff

Just thinking last night, probably says something about the Australian psyche that a national hero is a bushranger [Ned Kelly, executed 11 Nov as an aside and buried Deeming was buried alongside him a couple of years later], and a song about a sheep thief who kills himself to avoid capture s held almost sacred, go figure.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X