This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tab View Post
    Not trying to be an apologist, but Maple Lodge(not leaf) Farms do not own KFC Canada. It's owned by Yum! Brands. Maple Lodge Farms are simply providing KFC with their halal meat.
    b
    The end result is KFC is still using halal meat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

Which appears to exclude Jews.

Rabbi Dr. Jonathan Romain on the website The Movement for Reform Judaism:

“It is for this reason that Muslims are allowed to eat kosher meat if halal is not available. However, Jews are not allowed to eat halal meat – because a blessing to Allah is said over each animal before it is slaughtered. It means, though, that if one was in a situation where the only food available was halal meat and ordinary meat, the former would be preferable​.”
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Also the Sikh code of conducts prohibits them from eating halal meat (although it looks like some don’t agree with this)
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

I never said otherwise.

Comment

• Although it doesn’t appear straightforward there appears to be a significant proportion of Hindus that believe that it’s wrong for them to eat halal meat too.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• So the thinking is obviously, ‘we’re selling halal meat, if you don’t like it then tough..go elsewhere. As long as we’re keeping Muslims happy we’re fine.’
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Which appears to exclude Jews.

Rabbi Dr. Jonathan Romain on the website The Movement for Reform Judaism:

“It is for this reason that Muslims are allowed to eat kosher meat if halal is not available. However, Jews are not allowed to eat halal meat – because a blessing to Allah is said over each animal before it is slaughtered. It means, though, that if one was in a situation where the only food available was halal meat and ordinary meat, the former would be preferable​.”
                Does this exclude Jews? Does this not suggest that Jews prefer Halal over ordinary meat? This says to me that if KFC in Canada, for example, was to sell a choice of halal AND ordinary meat, Jews would opt for halal. So Jews would be happy about the current KFC situation in Canada, correct?

All the best,
                Tab

Comment

Does this exclude Jews? Does this not suggest that Jews prefer Halal over ordinary meat? This says to me that if KFC in Canada, for example, was to sell a choice of halal AND ordinary meat, Jews would opt for halal. So Jews would be happy about the current KFC situation in Canada, correct?

All the best,
                  Tab
                  In an eat or starve situation I’m sure that’s true but that’s hardly going to occur when selecting a fast food meal.

if one was in a situation where the only food available..”
                  Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 07-22-2024, 09:31 AM.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

So the thinking is obviously, ‘we’re selling halal meat, if you don’t like it then tough..go elsewhere. As long as we’re keeping Muslims happy we’re fine.’
                    Regarding Tesco specifically, it's almost guaranteed to be about the bottom line. Tesco have an absolutely staggering amount of data on their customers. They would have also carried out market research locally and nationally. They are probably betting on:
                    • The indifference and/or acceptance of their broader customer base in that store.
                    • The growing, albeit still small, portion of population who prefer halal meat for non-religious reasons like health and traceability
                    • The general overall market growth in halal products
                    • The fact that Muslims, even though they are very small minority, currently consume about 20% of the lamb in England alone, as opposed to 6% for the wider population, and growing.
                    • A growing local demand
                    Is it right that the ONLY FRESH BUTCHURED meat available in your local Tesco's is halal? Honestly for me, I am one of the indifferent. However, I don't think it is part of some wider conspiracy, other than the general conspiracy of making more money any way possible.

All the best,
                    Tab

Comment

In an eat or starve situation I’m sure that’s true but that’s hardly going to occur when selecting a fast food meal.

if one was in a situation where the only food available..”
                      I don't see the distinction you are trying to make. I don't think he was talking about in a starvation situation, happy to be corrected though.

If a Jewish person is in a food court, with McDonalds, Burger King, Subway etc... all selling ordinary meat, no Kosher meat in sight, and KFC is there selling only halal chicken. The Jewish person, according to Dr. Jonathan Romain, would choose halal at KFC.

I am not trying to be obtuse or split hairs, but to me that statement clearly says Jewish people, given the choice between the two, if that's all there was to choose from in any given situation, would choose halal. Jewish preference would be - Kosher -> Halal -> Ordinary.

All the best,
                      Tab

Comment

Regarding Tesco specifically, it's almost guaranteed to be about the bottom line. Tesco have an absolutely staggering amount of data on their customers. They would have also carried out market research locally and nationally. They are probably betting on:
                        • The indifference and/or acceptance of their broader customer base in that store.
                        • The growing, albeit still small, portion of population who prefer halal meat for non-religious reasons like health and traceability
                        • The general overall market growth in halal products
                        • The fact that Muslims, even though they are very small minority, currently consume about 20% of the lamb in England alone, as opposed to 6% for the wider population, and growing.
                        • A growing local demand
                        Is it right that the ONLY FRESH BUTCHURED meat available in your local Tesco's is halal? Honestly for me, I am one of the indifferent. However, I don't think it is part of some wider conspiracy, other than the general conspiracy of making more money any way possible.

All the best,
                        Tab
                        I’m not suggesting a huge conspiracy but it’s difficult to see how a Tesco could expect more Muslim customers for meat than non-Muslim customers. You get non-halal meat on the shelves but the actual butchers is entirely halal. I just think that it should be the other way around. Surely it should always be the case that you go with the majority? No one would suggest that halal food shouldn’t be available in a large store like Tesco but the actual butcher should be non-halal.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I don't see the distinction you are trying to make. I don't think he was talking about in a starvation situation, happy to be corrected though.

If a Jewish person is in a food court, with McDonalds, Burger King, Subway etc... all selling ordinary meat, no Kosher meat in sight, and KFC is there selling only halal chicken. The Jewish person, according to Dr. Jonathan Romain, would choose halal at KFC.

I am not trying to be obtuse or split hairs, but to me that statement clearly says Jewish people, given the choice between the two, if that's all there was to choose from in any given situation, would choose halal. Jewish preference would be - Kosher -> Halal -> Ordinary.

All the best,
                          Tab
                          Given the choice between only non-halal and halal then yes they would go for halal but this is only under certain circumstances. It means that if a Jew said: I fancy some KFC (which was halal) he couldn’t eat it if there was a Kosher shop selling anything but chicken. He’d have to go for the kosher food and leave the food that he actually wanted because it was halal.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Surely it should always be the case that you go with the majority?
                            That's not the way businessmen think, Mike.

They want EVERYONE'S money. If a minority is avoiding their product, they will try to accommodate them.

Sometimes it backfires, because they've misjudged the situation, thinking the other customers won't care. Clearly, you and Wickerman DO care.

Most people don't, though, so from their perspective it was still a good business decision.

Also, don't overestimate the wisdom of corporate types.

Look at Elon Musk.

He sells electric cars. Yet he stupidly embraced Donald Trump and the MAGA movement--many of whom dislike 'woke' electric cars and think it's a vast conspiracy by the Illuminati and the New World Order.

So, Musk embraced people that won't buy and can't afford his cars anyway at the risk of pissing-off a large percentage of his potential customers.

Now he's dumping $45,000,000 a month into Trump's campaign, and low and behold, Trump praised electric cars at his last rally, proving that he can be bought by billionaires.

When businessmen get involved in the culture wars, it seldom turns out well for them.
                            Last edited by rjpalmer; 07-22-2024, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• I think we’re in a world where no one actually cares about anything these days apart from being a part of the crowd that is currently in vogue Roger.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I think we’re in a world where no one actually cares about anything these days apart from being a part of the crowd that is currently in vogue Roger.
                                Bingo HS...
                                " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
                                Sherlock Holmes
                                ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X