This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Surely, it should be obvious to you, and all the rest, that "anyone who is 'different' but doing them no harm", is not the problem.
    I have to wonder why people try to confuse the issue by talking about those "who do no harm", when the concern is over those "who do harm"?
    Is it because they feel their argument is weak that they have to obfuscate the issue?

Not at all, Wick!

It's because "those who do harm" are such a miniscule minority, but their existence and behaviour is blown out of all proportion by the right wing media (as in the excellent examples of this which you have posted).

Comment

It's clear to me you are so detached from the real world, you are clinging on to whatever the Beeb tell you, or some other censored news outlet.
      No Wick,

It appears to me you are swallowing all the hystrionic scare-mongering of the far-right press.

GB News?
      Migrant Watch?

And I looked up Rebel News.

I believe they hired notorious thug and dim-wit Tommy Robinson as a correspondent.

Enough said!

Comment

Have you ever bothered to just enter "migrant" into your Youtube, to see what real people are documenting?

Why on earth would I do that?

I have interacted with migrants every day of my professional life for the last thirteen years.

I know the reality of the situation without listening to a load of misinformation and fake news posted by bigots and scaremongering morons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

No need to explain. I can read, amazingly enough. I was just wondering if this 'chip shop' was the one Wickerman was referring to as I could not find a reference to the one in Skeggy. I was NOT suggesting it was taken down for religious reasons at all. The article clearly says 'inappropriate' and I was wondering what was inappropriate about it.

You see that is the problem here, you see something and YOU JUMP ON IT thinking I or whoever was/is being anti-immigrant or whatever. This is the HUGE problem here, next I'll be racist or xenophobic or worse still Islamophobic.

However if you wish for my opinion on that, I would suggest 'allegedly deemed inappropriate for the area' has absolutely bugger all to do with planning permission and that is just a cop out from the authorities. Read between the lines and we all know what 'allegedly deemed inappropriate for the area' really means but the council just dare not say that and that is the HUGE problem here.
          No, you just posted the link, it was Wicker who stated

"I'm gaining the impression on this thread that most of those commenting are not aware what is truly going on out there. I could give you a long list, but this moment, off the top of my head I'll give you a few examples.​"

And then he disguises a planning permission dispute as a "muslims are trying to take over the country and the councils are helping them" issue.

And the treason I am jumping all over it is becasue this is a CLASSIC example of dishonest reporting by the right-wing press to further a nativist narrative and I, for the life of me, just cannot understand why grown-up intelligent men do not see through this nonsense.

Comment

• silly question: Do the teach about "The Eternal Jew" in UK schools? We had several classes on how it is structured with an obvious aim, the choice of imagery, even the exact choice of words to make it such a blatant piece of proganda. And unfortunately, I recognise a lot of the same techniques when I pick up a Daily Mail or subject myself to some Fox News to remind myself what else is out there in the world....

Comment

• It occurs to me that many who are protesting the modern trend in immigration are descended from members of an empire that saw no problem with invading another culture and demanding that the subjects of their invasion conform with the ideals and conventions of their invaders. The native American Indians and the Australian Aboriginals spring immediately to mind. I have to declare descendency from the British Empire philosophy, but have to disclaim any liability for those historical mind sets, as I was not alive at the time to participate in such activities. That said, I have to join these previously conquered cultures in deploring the modern loss of my culture to the current invaders. Should I now retire to contemplate the hypocrisy of my dichotomy?
              The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                It occurs to me that many who are protesting the modern trend in immigration are descended from members of an empire that saw no problem with invading another culture and demanding that the subjects of their invasion conform with the ideals and conventions of their invaders. The native American Indians and the Australian Aboriginals spring immediately to mind. I have to declare descendency from the British Empire philosophy, but have to disclaim any liability for those historical mind sets, as I was not alive at the time to participate in such activities. That said, I have to join these previously conquered cultures in deploring the modern loss of my culture to the current invaders. Should I now retire to contemplate the hypocrisy of my dichotomy?
                Not at all, becasue you can not choose where and when you were born. The rest, liiterally, is history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                  And the treason I am jumping all over it is because this is a CLASSIC example of dishonest reporting by the right-wing press to further a nativist narrative and I, for the life of me, just cannot understand why grown-up intelligent men do not see through this nonsense.
                  All things considered that has to be the best typo ever...

(As an aside I believe most reporting tends to be dishonest regardless of left, centre or right wing. All to push whatever agenda they are 'paid' to push.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post

FGM is already banned in the UK. You get 14 years in prison for carrying it out: https://www.gov.uk/female-genital-mu...on-help-advice

I know that of course but male genital mutilation isn’t banned and it should be. And the FGM ban doesn't stop girls being flown out to other countries to have this done or for it to be perormed her illegally.

To be honest, I don't know what "issues" you want the authorities to act on. You want them to act on some supermarkts selling Halal meat or ONLY Halal meat? Again, on what grounds? What law is being broken here? And if no law is being broken, you want to start legislating what types of meat supermarkets can sell?

On what grounds?!?! How about - on the grounds that this isn’t an Islamic country for a start. Or on the grounds of why should UK citizens be told by a store the size of Tesco ‘if you want butchered meat its Halal or go elsewhere.’

So the answer to your qustion is: Authorities deal with legal problems, not with perceived issues. And there is no need for a conspiracy to explain this behaviour.

Cheers.
                    The level of naïveté going on here is mind bending. We see it everywhere…people absolutely falling over themselves to defend every single action. You see it all of the time. Someone will stand up and shout for women’s rights and LGBTQ rights (as they should) but when someone says “ok, and what about a bit of criticism for the religion that strictly adheres to the exact opposite of all of the things that you want defending?” What do we hear “err, well, erm…” Silence. Zilch. It seems that one group regularly and consistently get a free pass or a blind eye. How can people not be bothered or worried by it?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• I’m certainly done on this topic. It’s just an apologia.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        It seems that one group regularly and consistently get a free pass or a blind eye. How can people not be bothered or worried by it?
                        Same as the previous answer, 'because like here they will get labelled at racist, Islamophobic or xenophobic.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

The level of naïveté going on here is mind bending. We see it everywhere…people absolutely falling over themselves to defend every single action. You see it all of the time. Someone will stand up and shout for women’s rights and LGBTQ rights (as they should) but when someone says “ok, and what about a bit of criticism for the religion that strictly adheres to the exact opposite of all of the things that you want defending?” What do we hear “err, well, erm…” Silence. Zilch. It seems that one group regularly and consistently get a free pass or a blind eye. How can people not be bothered or worried by it?
                          As I have said, Muslims practice their faith in a variety of ways around the world, and there is a wide range of interpretations and beliefs. Their religion does not 'strictly adhere to the exact opposite of all of the things that you want defending', any more than the various Christian religions do. People are quick to post all the vitriol from the radical side of Islam, and ignore everything else. These big sweeping statements do nothing but bog down the debate.

In a survey conducted in 2017 of American Muslims, 52% said homosexuality should be accepted by society. That is double the amount from just 10 years earlier. These are your strict, unwavering Muslims Herlock. I am willing to bet that number is even higher today. Comparatively, only 34% of white evangelical Protestants said they believed homosexuality should be accepted. Go figure.

This should be cause for celebration as things are clearly moving in the right direction, but somehow the echo chamber of extreme right wing nonsense is still rearing it's ugly head.

The spectre of Margaret Thatcher has already been summoned in this thread, along with a longing for a return of the British 'values' of the mid twentieth century, when 'othering' was a way of life. Lets leave the past in the past shall we.

All the best,
                          Tab
                          Last edited by Tab; 07-13-2024, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• To lighten the mood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tab View Post
                              So here is a genuine question for you. If a biological female has physically transitioned to identify as male, hormone therapy and surgery has given them all the genuine secondary sex characteristics of a male, adams apple, larger muscle mass, they've grown a beard and have a deeper voice. There is absolutely no outward way to tell they are not male. You would still want that person to use the female toilet, or the female changing room? Same question vice versa.

All the best,
                              Tab
                              Has their chromosome count changed?

Listen, whether it is by surgery or by pantomime suits, you are still the same biology.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tab View Post

I have not been able to verify ANY of these stories. I cannot find evidence of any of these things happening. If you are going post stories, especially the emotive kind that seem designed to get people worked up, you should be required to cite your sources. As far as I can tell these three stories are completely made up.

If your response to this is going be something like "It's not my problem you can't search for things properly, these things happened!", and you don't cite your source, then please don't bother.

All the best,
                                Tab
                                Your problem is, you are not willing to accept what is going on in the country, or indeed the world around you.
                                Had I taken the trouble to look up and post all the links, you would still reject the argument (you know it), none of those stories are a secret.

Have you heard the latest demands?
                                The Muslim Voting group want Starmer to include "Islamaphobia" as a criminal act, among 18 others.
                                Plus 11 demands concerning Gaza, one of which is to recognise the state of Palestine.

You can't recognise something that does not exist.

Local members are supposed to look after local issues; garbage, potholes, etc. - not international issues.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X