Anyone remember "The Golden Shot"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of Bronx cheers here :

Very funny sketch by Spike as an operasinger....

Comment

Hi Robert

I thought it was dear old Spike who provided the special auditory effects for the Phantom Raspberry Blower?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

I think it does say that on the credits, but I heard it was David Jason. Can't remember where I heard it, though.

Comment

Hello Robert,

From Wikipedia...

The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town was a serial written by Spike Milligan and Ronnie Barker that ran every week on The Two Ronnies sketch show in 1976 on BBC One. It featured a Jack the Ripper style madman stalking the streets of Victorian London, who killed or stunned his victims by blowing them a raspberry.

The title was preceded by the words "Chopper Films Presents", a parody of Hammer Films, and the writing of the serial was credited to "Spike Milligan and a gentleman".

The story originated in an episode of Six Dates with Barker, broadcast on 15 January 1971, with Alan Curtis playing the role of The Phantom.

The voice providing the raspberry of the title is attributed to David Jason who starred with Barker in Open All Hours although some sources claim the noise effect was supplied by Milligan himself.

One episode featured Ronnie Corbett as the diminutive yet domineering Queen Victoria and Barker as her browbeaten son "Edward, Prince of Wales" (in reality the future King Edward VII was known to his family as "Bertie"), which was a parody of the recent TV series starring Timothy West.

The 'Gentleman' listed as the co-writer was Gerald Wiley, the pseudonym used by Ronnie Barker as a comedy writer.

So there you have it

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

The original?

I once had this as part of my comedy collection.

I believe, though I am not certain, it is the original version of the Goons hit The Raspberry song.

Jack Hodges, The Raspberry King himself.

I have a feeling that Spike Milligan (he of Goons fame) and John Bluthal made the noise,

Hodges' classic 1933 recording was used by Spike Milligan as the basis for this sketch from his 1977 'Q7' series. Milligan mimes the raspberries, while John...

but the Jack Hodges version seems to be using a duck caller. Not sure though. They seemed to miming the original.

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Spike..the one and only

For all of you that are either too young or missed it, here's a drop of madness with Spike Milligan

Still makes me laugh.

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 04-27-2013, 09:33 AM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil

Yes, Spike was a one-off. He once introduced his show as an "oddball comedy show - and you have to guess which one of us has it."

Comment

There was also Spike as the Pied Piper, dancing down the streets of Hamelin leading a line of wigs that had flown off the heads of the bystanders. And Spike as a German psychoanalyst, marching up to a tree and screaming "You're not a tree! You only think you're a tree!"

There's a hilarious Dave Allen sketch that I have been trying to find for some time, without success. It's set in a Trappist refectory and done completely in mime. The breakfast porridge is being passed round the table and naturally Dave is the last monk to be given the bowl. Also naturally the penultimate monk takes virtually all of what's left, leaving hardly anything for Dave. The rest of the sketch consists of Dave trying to get his fair share. Things escalate as porridge is flung around and monks knee each other in the groin. If you ever see it would you let me know?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    There's a hilarious Dave Allen sketch that I have been trying to find for some time, without success. It's set in a Trappist refectory and done completely in mime. The breakfast porridge is being passed round the table and naturally Dave is the last monk to be given the bowl. Also naturally the penultimate monk takes virtually all of what's left, leaving hardly anything for Dave. The rest of the sketch consists of Dave trying to get his fair share. Things escalate as porridge is flung around and monks knee each other in the groin. If you ever see it would you let me know?
                    Hey, Robert-

I vote that you act this out at the next Ripper Conference.

You need to wake 'em up in the morning anyway.

Cheers,
                    Archaic

Comment

Hi Bunny

I don't think you'll ever get silence at a Ripper conference! You might get porridge, but there'd probably be a heated debate as to whether to put sugar on it, or salt, or put on nothing at all, with a minority maintaining that there is no porridge even if there appears to be some, so that by the time folks get to start on the porridsge, it's cold.

Comment

Hi Robert.

Guess I was picturing porridge being flung around and Ripperologists kneeing each other in the groin.

Archaic

Comment

Ah, aren't they far too civilised for that? Surely they....um.....well....

Comment

my dad was a contestant on the golden shot. (bernie the bolt)
                            Anne ashton struggled with her arithmetic.
                            The "maid of the month" when a top model would give out the prize.
                            Needless to say dad returned empty handed, as
                            he could not hit a cow in the arse with a shovel let alone
                            a bullseye with a cross bow form a booth.

P.S. Normon vaughan was the host with my dad on it. not Bob monkhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by ukranianphil View Post
                              my dad was a contestant on the golden shot. (bernie the bolt)
                              Anne ashton struggled with her arithmetic.
                              The "maid of the month" when a top model would give out the prize.
                              Needless to say dad returned empty handed, as
                              he could not hit a cow in the arse with a shovel let alone
                              a bullseye with a cross bow form a booth.

P.S. Normon vaughan was the host with my dad on it. not Bob monkhouse.
                              Hi Ukrainianphil.

Have you been able to watch a video of your Dad's performance on 'The Golden Shot'?

What a weird time capsule that would be!

Best regards,
                              Archaic

PS: I take it you are Ukrainian? I recently had some wonderful Ukrainian buckwheat nalisnyky with a mushroom filling and a bowl of peppery borscht, yum!

Comment

I think at the end the contestants had to cut a vertical thread stretched across the target to win the jackpot. As I remember it, this used to happen more often than one might suppose. If the bulls-eye was perfectly in line with the crossbow sight, the thread would be broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X