X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Bob Monkhouse

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    But yeah, I remember when I were a lad the contestents would phone it and direct the crossbow.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Hi Magpie

Are you sure that wasn't Anne Aston showing the thread as it passed through the centre of the target? It's all very vague in my mind now, but I think they started the show with people ringing in and trying to hit the apples - which had explosive charges fitted to them, so that they went pop - and that was to determine next week's contestants. Then they had this week's contestants, from whom a winner was found who then went on to try to win the jackpot at the end of the show.
    The episode I saw didn't have people calling in--they were in the studio but were stuck in a little booth with a TV screen and a telephone, which was connected to the phone used by the host.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Magpie

Are you sure that wasn't Anne Aston showing the thread as it passed through the centre of the target? It's all very vague in my mind now, but I think they started the show with people ringing in and trying to hit the apples - which had explosive charges fitted to them, so that they went pop - and that was to determine next week's contestants. Then they had this week's contestants, from whom a winner was found who then went on to try to win the jackpot at the end of the show.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    I think at the end the contestants had to cut a vertical thread stretched across the target to win the jackpot. As I remember it, this used to happen more often than one might suppose. If the bulls-eye was perfectly in line with the crossbow sight, the thread would be broken.
    In the episode I saw, they had a traditional type bullseys target, and the "golden girl" would point to a totally arbitrary spot in the centre circle and the contestant would have to hit it dead on, with no visual reference to it at all.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    I think at the end the contestants had to cut a vertical thread stretched across the target to win the jackpot. As I remember it, this used to happen more often than one might suppose. If the bulls-eye was perfectly in line with the crossbow sight, the thread would be broken.

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Originally posted by ukranianphil View Post
    my dad was a contestant on the golden shot. (bernie the bolt)
    Anne ashton struggled with her arithmetic.
    The "maid of the month" when a top model would give out the prize.
    Needless to say dad returned empty handed, as
    he could not hit a cow in the arse with a shovel let alone
    a bullseye with a cross bow form a booth.

P.S. Normon vaughan was the host with my dad on it. not Bob monkhouse.
    Hi Ukrainianphil.

Have you been able to watch a video of your Dad's performance on 'The Golden Shot'?

What a weird time capsule that would be!

Best regards,
    Archaic

PS: I take it you are Ukrainian? I recently had some wonderful Ukrainian buckwheat nalisnyky with a mushroom filling and a bowl of peppery borscht, yum!

Leave a comment:

• ukranianphil
    replied
    my dad was a contestant on the golden shot. (bernie the bolt)
    Anne ashton struggled with her arithmetic.
    The "maid of the month" when a top model would give out the prize.
    Needless to say dad returned empty handed, as
    he could not hit a cow in the arse with a shovel let alone
    a bullseye with a cross bow form a booth.

P.S. Normon vaughan was the host with my dad on it. not Bob monkhouse.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Ah, aren't they far too civilised for that? Surely they....um.....well....

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Hi Robert.

Guess I was picturing porridge being flung around and Ripperologists kneeing each other in the groin.

Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Bunny

I don't think you'll ever get silence at a Ripper conference! You might get porridge, but there'd probably be a heated debate as to whether to put sugar on it, or salt, or put on nothing at all, with a minority maintaining that there is no porridge even if there appears to be some, so that by the time folks get to start on the porridsge, it's cold.

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    There's a hilarious Dave Allen sketch that I have been trying to find for some time, without success. It's set in a Trappist refectory and done completely in mime. The breakfast porridge is being passed round the table and naturally Dave is the last monk to be given the bowl. Also naturally the penultimate monk takes virtually all of what's left, leaving hardly anything for Dave. The rest of the sketch consists of Dave trying to get his fair share. Things escalate as porridge is flung around and monks knee each other in the groin. If you ever see it would you let me know?
    Hey, Robert-

I vote that you act this out at the next Ripper Conference.

You need to wake 'em up in the morning anyway.

Cheers,
    Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    There was also Spike as the Pied Piper, dancing down the streets of Hamelin leading a line of wigs that had flown off the heads of the bystanders. And Spike as a German psychoanalyst, marching up to a tree and screaming "You're not a tree! You only think you're a tree!"

There's a hilarious Dave Allen sketch that I have been trying to find for some time, without success. It's set in a Trappist refectory and done completely in mime. The breakfast porridge is being passed round the table and naturally Dave is the last monk to be given the bowl. Also naturally the penultimate monk takes virtually all of what's left, leaving hardly anything for Dave. The rest of the sketch consists of Dave trying to get his fair share. Things escalate as porridge is flung around and monks knee each other in the groin. If you ever see it would you let me know?

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Phil

Yes, Spike was a one-off. He once introduced his show as an "oddball comedy show - and you have to guess which one of us has it."

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Spike..the one and only

For all of you that are either too young or missed it, here's a drop of madness with Spike Milligan

Still makes me laugh.

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 04-27-2013, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X